• The KillerFrogs

the challenge of recruiting a quarterback

Eight

want to say first and foremost this was not only not proof read (which is the norm for me), but also peer reviewed so it should be showing up in the back of an upcoming copy of the lancet filling space

second, my prayers to max on his health.

i am not going to try to defend sonny cumbie or blame him for the situation tcu finds itself in with the recent events. additionally, if someone wants to discuss the issues in offensive design, player development, the role of the strength and conditioning program, or ponder why some schools just plug in a quarterback and don't seem to miss a beat then go for it.

what i feel fairly confident in typing is something that most of us already know and that is when tcu has gotten good quarterback play they have been competitive in the big 12 and when they haven't it hasn't been very pretty.

again, if someone wants to ponder the why's of all this so be it. i simply was curious why it seemed tcu struggled so much to get consistent play at such a critical position and if other schools struggled to bring in talent in a similar manner. i compared tcu, ou, and texas' recruiting at the quarterback position as well as the transfers from 2010 to 2020. here is what i found:

tcu
matt brown
chatzen gonzales
trevone boykin
austin aune
tyler matthews
zach allen
foster sawyer
grayson muehlstein
bram kohlhausen - tr
kenny hill - tr
brennan wooten
shawn robinson
mike collins
justin rogers
max duggan
matt baldiwn - tr
matt downing - tr
alex delton
eli williams
stephon brown

a number of injuries, misses, and a few transfers for playing time. so how does that compare to the two schools that have consistently gotten their choice for the most part in recruiting

texas
connor wood
case mccoy
david ash
connor brewer
tyrone swoopes
jerrod heard
matthew merrick
shane buechele
sam ehinger
cameron rising
casey thompson
roschon johnson
hudson care
ja'quiden jackson

ash showed promise before concussions ended his career and buechele showed potential until he was replaced by sam, but in large part there are a number of who is that?

ou
blake bell
kendall thompson
trevor knight
cody thomas
justice hansen
baker mayfield - tr
connor mcginnis
austin kendall
kyler murray - tr
chris robison
tanner mordecai
spencer rattler
jalen hurts - tr
chandler morris

not sure if baker lifted the system/ program or the system made baker, but he did pave the way for murray and then hurts. do call [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] if you claim to know how some of these guys are / were, don't live in oklahoma, and listen to the sports animal.

interesting that rattler will be the first ou quarterback signee to start since trevor knight

not sure what any of this means other than other schools have missed in their quarterback recruiting. also not sure what it means that since signing shawn robinson the frogs have signed a quarterback from nw lousiana, iowa, oklahoma, a kansas juco, transfer from penn, transfer from georgia, transfer from kansas state, a commit from alabama, and a commit from the gdr.

Last edited:

Eight

one addition, as i did a quick check of tech's quarterback recruiting over the last 10 years. you would think with the pirate and kliff they would have turned out qb's like a machine right?

texas tech
scotty young
-
clayton nicholas
davis webb
baker mayfield - wo
pat mahomes II
-
jett duffey
xavier martin
mcclain carter - jc
alan bowman
maverick mcivor
jackson tyner - tr
henry colombi - utah st tr

how valuable was pat mahomes to kliff?

hqdefault.jpg

Planks

one addition, as i did a quick check of tech's quarterback recruiting over the last 10 years. you would think with the pirate and kliff they would have turned out qb's like a machine right?

texas tech
scotty young
-
clayton nicholas
davis webb
baker mayfield - wo
pat mahomes II
-
jett duffey
xavier martin
mcclain carter - jc
alan bowman
maverick mcivor
jackson tyner - tr

hqdefault.jpg

I would certainly count Mayfield and Webb as successes for Tech. And I think arguments could be made for Duffey and Bowman.

Mayfield and Webb left Tech because there were too many good quarterbacks. Yes they didn’t finish their careers with tech, but they did actually start for tech they were good when they did play. That can’t be said for most of the quarterbacks that have been discussed in this thread.

There are probably levels to this. There are guys who are good starters (Kenny Hill), guys who are bad starters (Shawn Robinson), and guys who are not P5 level starters (Wooten, Zach Allen, Muehlstein, etc).

I think you could argue that Case McCoy and Shane B were successes for Texas. Neither one was a star for Texas, but they were at least capable starters. I think our coaches would kill to have them on our team right now.

Armadillo

wyomingfrog in 3....2....1....to call you a blathering fool.

(for the record, I appreciate your post. I don't appreciate wyomingfrog)

want to say first and foremost this was not only not proof read (which is the norm for me), but also peer reviewed so it should be showing up in the back of an upcoming copy of the lancet filling space

i am not going to try to defend sonny cumbie or blame him for the situation tcu finds itself in with the recent events. additionally, if someone wants to discuss the issues in offensive design, player development, the role of the strength and conditioning program, or ponder why some schools just plug in a quarterback and don't seem to miss a beat then go for it.

what i feel fairly confident in typing is something that most of us already know and that is when tcu has gotten good quarterback play they have been competitive in the big 12 and when they haven't it hasn't been very pretty.

again, if someone wants to ponder the why's of all this so be it. i simply was curious why it seemed tcu struggled so much to get consistent play at such a critical position and if other schools struggled to bring in talent in a similar manner. i compared tcu, ou, and texas' recruiting at the quarterback position as well as the transfers from 2010 to 2020. here is what i found:

tcu
matt brown
chatzen gonzales
trevone boykin
austin aune
tyler matthews
zach allen
foster sawyer
grayson muehlstein
bram kohlhausen - tr
kenny hill - tr
brennan wooten
shawn robinson
mike collins
justin rogers
max duggan
matt baldiwn - tr
matt downing - tr
alex delton
eli williams
stephon brown

a number of injuries, misses, and a few transfers for playing time. so how does that compare to the two schools that have consistently gotten their choice for the most part in recruiting

texas
connor wood
case mccoy
david ash
connor brewer
tyrone swoopes
jerrod heard
matthew merrick
shane buechele
sam ehinger
cameron rising
casey thompson
roschon johnson
hudson care
ja'quiden jackson

ash showed promise before concussions ended his career and buechele showed potential until he was replaced by sam, but in large part there are a number of who is that?

ou
blake bell
kendall thompson
trevor knight
cody thomas
justice hansen
baker mayfield - tr
connor mcginnis
austin kendall
kyler murray - tr
chris robison
tanner mordecai
spencer rattler
jalen hurts - tr
chandler morris

not sure if baker lifted the system/ program or the system made baker, but he did pave the way for murray and then hurts. do call [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] if you claim to know how some of these guys are / were, don't live in oklahoma, and listen to the sports animal.

interesting that rattler will be the first ou quarterback signee to start since trevor knight

not sure what any of this means other than other schools have missed in their quarterback recruiting. also not sure what it means that since signing shawn robinson the frogs have signed a quarterback from nw lousiana, iowa, oklahoma, a kansas juco, transfer from penn, transfer from georgia, transfer from kansas state, a commit from alabama, and a commit from the gdr.

Wexahu

I would certainly count Mayfield and Webb as successes for Tech. And I think arguments could be made for Duffey and Bowman.

Mayfield and Webb left Tech because there were too many good quarterbacks. Yes they didn’t finish their careers with tech, but they did actually start for tech they were good when they did play. That can’t be said for most of the quarterbacks that have been discussed in this thread.

There are probably levels to this. There are guys who are good starters (Kenny Hill), guys who are bad starters (Shawn Robinson), and guys who are not P5 level starters (Wooten, Zach Allen, Muehlstein, etc).

I think you could argue that Case McCoy and Shane B were successes for Texas. Neither one was a star for Texas, but they were at least capable starters. I think our coaches would kill to have them on our team right now.

Yeah, our bar is pretty damn low, that's for sure. Just be competent, that's kind of the first step for our QBs, and just that has been too tough a hurdle for way too many of our guys.

They key is to recruit, keep, and develop.

The team we do not mention has recruited one QB each class since 2016

2016 Zach Smith (started, lost job to Brewer, transferred)
2017 Charlie Brewer (Sr)
2018 Gerry Bohannon (Jr)
2019 Jacob Zeno (So)
2020 Blake Shapen (Fr)
2021 Kyrone Drones (committed)

Four four stars, two three stars.

Smith transferred out, the rest are stacked behind a four year starter.

That's how you get depth.

Froggish

tcu
matt brown
chatzen gonzales
trevone boykin
austin aune
tyler matthews
zach allen
foster sawyer
grayson muehlstein
bram kohlhausen - tr
kenny hill - tr
brennan wooten
shawn robinson
mike collins
justin rogers
max duggan
matt baldiwn - tr
matt downing - tr
alex delton
eli williams
stephon brown

texas
connor wood
case mccoy
david ash
connor brewer
tyrone swoopes
jerrod heard
matthew merrick
shane buechele
sam ehinger
cameron rising
casey thompson
roschon johnson
hudson care
ja'quiden jackson

ou
blake bell
kendall thompson
trevor knight
cody thomas
justice hansen
baker mayfield - tr
connor mcginnis
austin kendall
kyler murray - tr
chris robison
tanner mordecai
spencer rattler
jalen hurts - tr
chandler morris

I think finding good QB play is the toughest thing in football. I would however say that judging a program by the number of guys who do or don’t pan out is a pretty flawed way of looking at programs. QB is a one man position so obviously if you bring a QB in every year to compete your going to have a number that don’t work out. There some chicken/egg arguments that could be had in regard to ability and tools vs development and opportunity but IMO to know whether a program recruits and develops QBs well you simply need to look at the production it gets annually. Does that one guy that does hit the field every year produce well? If so, you’re doing a good job. It doesn’t necessarily mean the other QBs in your program were busts. You can’t lose sight of the goal. It to have good QB play every year. That’s successful recruiting and development. The number of bodies is irrelevant

Eight

Can we get our esteemed attorney, @steelfrog, working on a waiver for Justin Fields? Really seems like a hardship case that tOSU has denied him his final year of college ball and that will result in future lost revenue. Gotta be a legitimate case for an immediate waiver there.

fairly certain justin comes with his own legal team, but i am open to steel working pro bono if justin is open to relocating to ft worth for a few months

Eight

2017 Charlie Brewer (Sr)
2018 Gerry Bohannon (Jr)
2019 Jacob Zeno (So)
2020 Blake Shapen (Fr)

scheiss off bear boy

AroundWorldFrog

2017 Charlie Brewer (Sr)
2018 Gerry Bohannon (Jr)
2019 Jacob Zeno (So)
2020 Blake Shapen (Fr)

Don't forget ignoring concussion protocol. That helps keep your brain dead QBs in play.

texas tech
scotty young
-
clayton nicholas
davis webb
baker mayfield - wo
pat mahomes II
-
jett duffey
xavier martin
mcclain carter - jc
alan bowman
maverick mcivor
jackson tyner - tr

hqdefault.jpg

You forgot Brewer who went on to start at VTech. Tech recruits them but can't keep them.

Eight

I think finding good QB play is the toughest thing in football. I would however say that judging a program by the number of guys who do or don’t pan out is a pretty flawed way of looking at programs. QB is a one man position so obviously if you bring a QB in every year to compete your going to have a number that don’t work out. There some chicken/egg arguments that could be had in regard to ability and tools vs development and opportunity but IMO to know whether a program recruits and develops QBs well you simply need to look at the production it gets annually. Does that one guy that does hit the field every year produce well? If so, you’re doing a good job. It doesn’t necessarily mean the other QBs in your program were busts. You can’t lose sight of the goal. It to have good QB play every year. That’s successful recruiting and development. The number of bodies is irrelevant

agree and i was listing the overall recruits at the position for the three schools primarily to show that while we think we have burned through a number of recruits at the position that really isn't that uncommon

especially with the offenses being run in college today that depend so much on the quarterback position being able to execute certain things for an offense to be successful.