• The KillerFrogs

The best case CFP scenario?

HoustonHornedFrog

It isn't over until the fat lady sings, or in this case the CFP committee.

Let's look at the possibilities for next weekend.

Alabama, Oregon, Fl St. TCU, Oh. St. and Baylor - all 6 of the remaining one or fewer loss teams play on Saturday. 

If you could pick the outcomes of all six games and then leave it to the committee to determine the top 4 what would you wish for?

My first reaction would be for TCU to be the only one to win next week, which would most likely result in TCU moving to No. 1, but is that the best scenario?

Which 2 loss teams come back into play if TCU and Fl St are the only one loss teams and TCU is the only one loss team that at least shares a conference championship?

If the CFP committee values conference champions, and you assume TCU is in then who do you pick from among Arizona, Missouri, GTech, Wisconsin and K. State (since TCU and K. State would be co-champions) for the other 3 spots?

Or, if "body of work" counts more, does Mich State sneek back in? How about Alabama or Oregon who many think look to be playing the best right now? Can you lose your last game and still go?

Having no SEC team in the playoff would almost certainly be the best thing for speeding the move to an 8 team playoff, so it might be worth it for just Bama to win.  Hard to keep them in the top 4 with 5 one or fewer loss teams.

How about if TCU and Baylor were the only 2 of the remaining top 6 who win next week.  How would they rightfully keep either of the two Big 12 co-champs out of the playoff?  

For me, if Bama and Oregon lose with TCU, Oh St, Baylor and Fl State winning then you likely end up with the following seeds.
1. Fl State
2. TCU
3. Oh. St.
4. Baylor 

or

1. Fl. State
2. Oh. St. (assume blowout win for Oh. State and close wins for TCU and Baylor)
3 and 4 TCU/Baylor

In either scenario,  TCU would play either Oh. St or Fl. State in the first round, both of which I think we would be favored over.  
The downside would be giving Baylor more publicity. Even if  they lost in the first round or we beat them in the NC game, the Baylor fan ego would be unBearable (pun intended).

So the question is how would you like to see it go next week?  And what do you think the result would be in the final 4? 

jake102

Oregon loses, FSU wins, Ohio State wins convincingly. 

#1 Bama
#2 FSU
#3 TCU
#4 Ohio State

My guess is that the opposite of that happens and we get:

#1 Bama
#2 Oregon
#3 TCU
#4 Baylor