• The KillerFrogs

The Athletic: TCU could be a sneakily scary team

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Peter Keating

TCU could be a sneakily scary team​

Last year, TCU belonged to a cluster of teams called “Gambling Giants,” which work to seize buckets of turnovers and clamp down on opponents’ long-range shooting while also hitting the offensive boards. History says teams with that combination of traits — Houston and Baylor are other recent examples — do very well as overdogs in the tournament’s opening rounds. Indeed, the Horned Frogs forced more turnovers, grabbed more offensive rebounds and took 10 more shots than Arizona State when beating the Sun Devils in the first round last year.

The profile is also highly effective if a team can build that many possessions and excel at perimeter defense as a lower seed—like TCU in 2022, when the ninth-seeded Horned Frogs blew out eighth-seeded Seton Hall.

After the Horned Frogs made it to the second round last year, they added guard Jameer Nelson to a group already heavy with seniors, and he has nabbed steals on 4.5% of opponent possessions, the 15th-best rate in the country.

TCU’s 21-12 record this year looks a couple of games worse than it should, thanks to five losses by 2 points or fewer or in overtime. The Horned Frogs appear fast because they push the ball up the court, but that’s deceptive: They hold opponents to an average possession length of 18.1 seconds, which ranks 309th in the NCAA. They don’t shoot many threes but are more than 4 percentage points better at making them (35.6%) than in 2023. They beat Houston in January.

Whether it’s in the first or second round, what overdog should feel safe against them?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
This Frog team has never been consistent in any way. They had monstrous promise, and have shown that they could perform at the level necessary to do great things, but have just fallen apart with sloppy play, inability to hold a lead of any sort, and the old Can't Make Free Throws curse that has ever plagued us.

Perhaps getting out of the horrors of BIGXII Officiating will do us wonders. The criminal call at the end of the Kansas game really set the tone for the Conference season, and it never improved.

An-Cap Frog

If we TCB against U(gly), Purdue would be next.

Wisco just beat them shooting 7-32 from behind the arc. Purdue had 16 TOs but Wisco only had 4 fast break points and had 12 more points in the paint. Do the Frogs have the recipe to upset the Boilermakers? Our forwards may be hard for them to defend.

LVH

If we TCB against U(gly), Purdue would be next.

Wisco just beat them shooting 7-32 from behind the arc. Purdue had 16 TOs but Wisco only had 4 fast break points and had 12 more points in the paint. Do the Frogs have the recipe to upset the Boilermakers? Our forwards may be hard for them to defend.
The one issue is that it would basically be a road game in Indianapolis. The Indianapolis pod is the most expensive ticket on the market right now with all the Purdue fans trying to gobble them up. I don't think Florida/Marquette would bring in enough neutrals to root against Purdue for us.

Limey Frog

Liking our chances for this tourney.
I hope you're right. I have us going out in the first round in my bracket, though I think we could make it through to face Purdue. The Boilermakers are led by a high-scoring big man, which is usually a matchup nightmare for TCU. We might get the Timmie/Gonzaga treatment there.