• The KillerFrogs

The Athletic: How TCU became conference realignment’s biggest winner

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The Athletic: How TCU became conference realignment’s biggest winner

By David Ubben

FORT WORTH, Texas — Victor Boschini didn’t recognize the number when it popped up on his phone, but he had an inkling about what might be brewing. He excused himself from a morning meeting at a Panera near TCU’s campus and rudely, he now admits, didn’t return for almost 30 minutes.

Chuck Neinas’ introduction was unnecessary. Boschini, TCU’s chancellor, knew quite well who he was, even if they lacked a personal relationship.

“We are going to expand the Big 12. And we think you’d be a great fit,” Neinas told Boschini in 2011. “What do you think about that?”

Read more at https://theathletic.com/1084054/201...big-12-conference-realignment-biggest-winner/

SuperBarrFrog

Once again I’ll state if you’re not subscribed to the Athletic, then you are messing out on the best sports journalism around. I read it basically every day.

SuperBarrFrog

Took your advice... just paid for a year, if it stinks you better Venmo me.... haha

There are usually some discount codes you can find for first year as well. The app is great and easy to set up front page with all your own teams. All my buddies enjoy their subscriptions too.

Billy Clyde

There are usually some discount codes you can find for first year as well. The app is great and easy to set up front page with all your own teams. All my buddies enjoy their subscriptions too.

Just subscribed. They were offering a 40% discount for annual subscription, but when I clicked on the Wide Receivers article (Reagor is their 5th-ranked pro prospect WR of the 2020 class, btw) there was a 60% discount being offered- So I got it for $1.99 / month.

SuperBarrFrog

Just subscribed. They were offering a 40% discount for annual subscription, but when I clicked on the Wide Receivers article (Reagor is their 5th-ranked pro prospect WR of the 2020 class, btw) there was a 60% discount being offered- So I got it for $1.99 / month.

Can’t beat that. I got auto renewed this year at the full rate and I don’t mind at all. Somebody gotta pay these journalists actually out here doing real work. Cheaper than SI was as a kid. They just added Andy staples to their CFB coverage too btw.

If they ever get a full time TCu writer it will be an absolute no brainer.

mesohornedfrog

The whole series they've done on looking back at realignment has been fascinating. It's interesting looking back after several years and reading behind the scenes stories on all of it.

Side note, I saw that FWST is trying to start up a competitor to Sportspage, promising the best TCU coverage around. HA. I'm sure people will be lining up out the door to pay for Drew recapping other websites stories and Mac trashing the school. A real 'can't miss' opportunity

dawg

Side note, I saw that FWST is trying to start up a competitor to Sportspage, promising the best TCU coverage around.

3TmT.gif

HG73

Well that's nice. Paywall. Now I'll just have to figure out for myself why we were such big wieners in realignment.

netty2424

The whole series they've done on looking back at realignment has been fascinating. It's interesting looking back after several years and reading behind the scenes stories on all of it.

Side note, I saw that FWST is trying to start up a competitor to Sportspage, promising the best TCU coverage around. HA. I'm sure people will be lining up out the door to pay for Drew recapping other websites stories and Mac trashing the school. A real 'can't miss' opportunity
Yah scheiss those guys. Wouldn’t pay a red penny for their content. Sports or not.

MAcFroggy

I subscribe to the SportsPageDFW specifically to avoid the StarTelegram writers. Why would i pay for Muck's articles???

Purp

Yah scheiss those guys. Wouldn’t pay a red penny for their content. Sports or not.
Especially sports. There isn't a single sports writer at the Startlegram who's ever had an original thought.

I subscribe to the SportsPageDFW specifically to avoid the StarTelegram writers. Why would i pay for Muck's articles???
My only wish is that, if this were to happen, that Richie Whittless will be poached from SportsPageDFW so that there would be nothing I didn't like about one and everything I didn't like about the other. SportsPage is a good value IMO. Before subscribing I didn't realize how much i missed reading real sports journalism. The transition to only tweets and summaries of other articles was so gradual it felt natural. The contrast was immediately noticed and is the reason I haven't clicked a Startlegram link since.