• The KillerFrogs

The Athletic: Big 12 recruiting without Texas, OU could put league’s reputation in peril

Frog DJ

I picked up a subscription a few months ago. I've been generally pleased. The long-form pieces are very good, and you can note your interests so that you get headlines about teams and sports you follow.

The New York Times bought The Athletic in Jan. 2022. I guess NYT is happy with the purchase; earlier this month it disbanded its sports department, putting 35 reporters and editors on the street. Sports was always in an awkward spot for the NYT, which tried to cover global/national stories while also being NYC's local paper. But for subscribers who don't bundle coverage, it has to be frustrating to see lots of links to sports stories in The Athletic that you can't get to.
My colleagues in the newspaper business say that this is the wave of the future, but how all that will flesh out for smaller publications than the NYT remains to be seen. Very few of them will have a sister platform like The Athletic to lean on.

Many of the best sportswriters are being lured away to websites like MLB.com and the like, so even major market papers in such cities as Philadelphia or San Francisco are scrambling to replace them with younger, qualified people.

One retired scribe predicted that there would be more and more “partnerships” with nearby papers, and that sports departments will become smaller as a result. Here in Houston we already see day old columns from other big city papers, and that will likely be the trend going forward.

Go Frogs!

Last edited:

CountryFrog

I'm not willing to spend the time researching this, but that seems like a low number for TCU. We brought in 12 4/5 star players just this offseason. Were there really only 11 others on the roster before that?

It's possible I suppose but man that would seem low.

Eight

I'm not willing to spend the time researching this, but that seems like a low number for TCU. We brought in 12 4/5 star players just this offseason. Were there really only 11 others on the roster before that?

not sure about the number of 4-stars, but i do know that on-3 flat out missed on the evaluations of 5 players who transferred in and had a big impact on last year

josh newton, mark perry, caleb fox, jared wiley, and alan ali are were given 0 stars as transfer prospects by on-3 and it wasn't because they were transfer. tcu had two transfers who were rated, one who played behind ali

one big reason ari's article is total [ Finebaum ], talent is important, and i trust this staff to find it and not some guys with nothing at stake who for some reason are given the title of recruiting experts

CountryFrog

not sure about the number of 4-stars, but i do know that on-3 flat out missed on the evaluations of 5 players who transferred in and had a big impact on last year

josh newton, mark perry, caleb fox, jared wiley, and alan ali are were given 0 stars as transfer prospects by on-3 and it wasn't because they were transfer. tcu had two transfers who were rated, one who played behind ali

one big reason ari's article is total [ Finebaum ], talent is important, and i trust this staff to find it and not some guys with nothing at stake who for some reason are given the title of recruiting experts
Yea I don't want to start another debate about the accuracy of recruiting rankings and how history shows that you need X percentage of 4/5 stars to win a national title, etc. Like a lot of things you can basically find numbers that support whatever argument you want to make about this stuff.

What I will say is that anyone who thinks the guys sitting at the computer formulating these rankings are all football experts themselves is wrong. Whatever accuracy exists in their evaluations is not based on their own football acumen but the result of them getting really good information from people who actually know football. Their rankings could be amazingly accurate. I'm not interested in debating that, but it's not because of these individual's amazing football acumen.

If the guys coming up with these rankings were really so good at evaluating talent and understanding the game then they wouldn't be working for a recruiting web site.

McFroggin

Some of our bigger star recruits transferred out over the last 2 seasons. See Jordan Hudson as a top 5 transfer player by some publications.

An-Cap Frog

It would be interesting to compare ACC w/o Clemson to the new Big XII. FSU and Miami may have some numbers, but I would imagine that the Big XII on average has better starzies than the average ACC team.

I pulled 2023 and Miami skews things quite a bit. What a class. The ACC averaged about a half a 4-star more than the new Big 12 that year. Of course we should see a bump in 2024 with the 4 new teams.

Last edited:

AroundWorldFrog

1690227840451.jpeg
images

Eight

Sark is not as far into UTx as Jimbo is into A'nM, and I predict he'll be gone if UTx isn't "back" this year, really.

Venables looks a lot like OU's next John Blake, but I have no idea how much losing will be tolerated from him.

his defense keeps giving up 40+ a game venables won't be the guy leading the sooners in the sec