• The KillerFrogs

The annual BAND thread

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Gotta Go
Very OLD music – i.e. I want Candy & Mikki – Bleah!

Keep
ShowGirl victory high-kicks on the field.

Bring back 2nd half pep band run around to East side & Upper Deck to play fight song back & forth to main band on East Side.

Change/Update
New music – maybe Santana but NOT Black Magic Woman, Oye como Va, etc.
Rule – if I played it in the 80’s, it ain’t new!

Return/Renew the lone trumpeter in the front corner upper deck, echoing back to the band on the field, a la Apollo 13 music.

Add chimes to the percussion ensemble – pick the phonetically correct note that matches/resembles a boxing bell, use that for defensive stops that result in our opponents punting or turnover on downs (…couldn’t answer the bell).

Shameless self-promotion - Every week we do not have a visiting team band travel to ACS we could/should invite 3-5 BIG local high schools to come, play & perform. Share the pre-game with them; keep halftime for us. Teaching our Fight Song to the next generation can’t be a bad thing. Also helps recruiting & attendance when they come, with parents, friends, etc. all at a reasonably discounted rate (NOT free, just discounted).

Radical Suggestion
Add some bottom – I know we can’t draft flute players to be Tuba players so….go long. Add on a couple electric guitars, one bass, both amped, sit in the front row in the stands, later put them on the sidelines in front with the rest of the percussion ensemble.

Add some rumble – Get some 55 gallon steel drums or Hefty big plastic garbage “cans”, turn’em upside down and use as Klingon battle drums. Outta people or not enough volunteers? Ask the HyperFrogs to help. Yeah, yeah, that’s why this is in the Radical category. Any Percussion Section Leader worth his/her salt can whip this up in no time – plenty of recent examples: Gladiator, King Arthur, 300, any of the Batmans, IronMan, etc. Doesn’t have to be fancy, just intimidating.

Thoughts?

:ph34r:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It is my understanding that the current Director of Bands could not care less about Football, marching, or anything else sports-related.

Your best bet is to make changes through KKY than wait for the Director to do anything...

jake102

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Aug 2 2010, 01:25 PM) [snapback]605919[/snapback]
besides playing the alma mater and fight song, I don't care

Agreed.

The band is somewhat annoying as is. Not loud enough and plays the same thing over and over. But they do their job and are a necessary element to any succesful football program.

I would like to see more twirlers at halftime. I think we lose our best twirler this year. Hopefully somebody is ready to step up because she was extremely good.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(Jake102 @ Aug 2 2010, 01:33 PM) [snapback]605930[/snapback]
I think we lose our best twirler this year. Hopefully somebody is ready to step up because she was extremely good.

I've been practicing, just waiting for the call....

445batonbob.jpg

Big Frog II

For the love of God, please play Deep in the Heart of Texas the regular way. Also when in stadiums that all of us are seated on the same side as the band, turn to fans when playing the fight song. Otherwise, we can't hear one note of what you're playing.

Regardless, I do appreciate the bands hard work.

chee

When another team visit without their band, someone should play their alma mater or fight song before the game. Common courtesy and good sportsmanship.

Also, with all the money from the BCS game couldn't we send the band to an away game? :rolleyes:

AEAfrog

QUOTE(BrewingFrog @ Aug 2 2010, 07:31 PM) [snapback]605929[/snapback]
It is my understanding that the current Director of Bands could not care less about Football, marching, or anything else sports-related.

Your best bet is to make changes through KKY than wait for the Director to do anything...

ΚΚΨ was suspended last year. Long story...

AEAfrog

QUOTE(chee @ Aug 2 2010, 08:13 PM) [snapback]605956[/snapback]
When another team visit without their band, someone should play their alma mater or fight song before the game. Common courtesy and good sportsmanship.

Tried that back in 2005. Didn't get a very good reaction...

50FT FROG

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Aug 2 2010, 06:50 PM) [snapback]605940[/snapback]
I've been practicing, just waiting for the call....
445batonbob.jpg

i thought we were trying to INCREASE attendance.

jake102

QUOTE(50FT FROG @ Aug 2 2010, 02:21 PM) [snapback]605964[/snapback]
i thought we were trying to INCREASE attendance.

As long as the twirling is top notch, looks don't matter.

Big Frog II

QUOTE(chee @ Aug 2 2010, 01:13 PM) [snapback]605956[/snapback]

Also, with all the money from the BCS game couldn't we send the band to an away game? :rolleyes:

I bet we send them all the way to Arlington and Dallas this year. Of course and back to Glendale.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
I would like to see more twirlers at halftime. I think we lose our best twirler this year. Hopefully somebody is ready to step up because she was extremely good.

heeeeyyaa2.gif

Houston Frog

Agreed.

The band is somewhat annoying as is. Not loud enough and plays the same thing over and over. But they do their job and are a necessary element to any succesful football program.

And if any of y'all want to do a little twirler recruiting, you might want to check out this organization.....

ROTCC (Righteously Outrageous Twirler Corps - Chicago)

MidsummerFest%20108.JPG

They're looking for a few good men

Big Frog ll, how about they don't play DITHOT at all. It has run it's course. 50 people clap to it for 5 seconds. I always thought we needed a song with local ties that everyone can sing along with ( 100,000 Vols singing Rocky Top). How about Big Balls in Cowtown. You know everyone would sing extra loud to the words "Big Balls".

SFA Frog

I wonder how long it is until a current band member comes and tells us how we all just misunderstand the band. There is one every year that makes their way to defend and rebut everything that is suggested. They also have to come tell us about the physics of sound and that marching exhibitions are important. I'm pretty sure that is how I got my start here back in 2001 or 2002 arguing with a poster that went by tylerdurden.