• The KillerFrogs

The 25 best bowl games (TCU @ #3)...

dawg

According to the something called the Football Bowl Association.

I'd have placed the 2011 Rose Bowl at #1, but that's just me.

aggy (twice), Baylor, and SMOO losses all made the list. Lolz.

Zubaz

Rose Bowl was historic from a TCU perspective. From a neutral perspective it was a good, close game, but largely unremarkable in the grand scheme of things.

Conversely, from a perspective of TCU history, the Alamo Bowl was...not all that important. From an entertainment perspective, however, it is off the charts. It has dang near everything. Backup QB, comeback, changing shirts. It's pure epic.

Atomic Frawg

Rose Bowl was historic from a TCU perspective. From a neutral perspective it was a good, close game, but largely unremarkable in the grand scheme of things.

Conversely, from a perspective of TCU history, the Alamo Bowl was...not all that important. From an entertainment perspective, however, it is off the charts. It has dang near everything. Backup QB, comeback, changing shirts. It's pure epic.
You really don't think the Rose Bowl was historic from a general college football perspective? It was the first time since the '40s that a team outside the PAC/B10 played that bowl game, and no G5 team his sniffed it since. It was old guard versus new school, speed versus power, David versus Goliath, and David won, again. It was also the first time the game was broadcast on a subscription network (ESPN) instead of ABC, and it set an overnight ratings record. It even had a crying JJ Watt. It was a helluva game that no one would question if it made a "best" list.

EDIT: *The first time since the 40s that a non-P5 played the bowl.

Last edited:

Zubaz

You really don't think the Rose Bowl was historic from a general college football perspective? It was the first time since the '40s that a team outside the PAC/B10 played that bowl game, and no G5 team his sniffed it since. It was old guard versus new school, speed versus power, David versus Goliath, and David won, again. It was also the first time the game was broadcast on a subscription network (ESPN) instead of ABC, and it set an overnight ratings record. It even had a crying JJ Watt. It was a helluva game that no one would question if it made a "best" list.
I don't, really. First, it wasn't the first time a team outside of the Pac/Big10 player in that bowl game, as both Texas and OU played in the game (as did Nebraska, Miami, and Texas again when it was a designated NC game). It was, however, the first time a Non-AQ team had played in the game. The rest of what you said was true, but it was true of, say, the Alabama-Utah Sugar Bowl as well. Yeah it's a little different because it's the Rose Bowl, and it was important in that sense. And again it was a good game, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it was that huge of a deal from a neutral observer's standpoint.