• The KillerFrogs

Texas v TCU

rascal2203

Listening to 105.3 on the way home this evening. Claim was made that a reliable UT mega-booster said that TCU balked on a home & home because UT insisted TCU's home game be held at Jerry World??? Sounds outrageous to me. I would think the Frogs would play away/away with UT just to have a shot at them.

57Frog

I heard that guy . I bet he's full of it . Probably doesn't have two nickels to rub together .
No wqy Texas has to have Jerry World to play us . They played Wyoming and we pull better crowds than they do . Mack just simply doesn't want to be taken to the woodshed , period .
Mack Brown is a great ceo in athletics , but in my opinion , is a terrible coach .
Go Frogs .

gdu

I'd be surprised if that were true. Why would Texas want to play TCU? Why would Texas want to play another game in the metroplex? (they play Dallas there every year and plan on playing conf. championships in Jerry World every year)

If that proposal were made and both teams interested I think a 1-1-1 could've been worked out (1 game in Austin, 1 at the newly renovated ACS, 1 at Jerry World with Texas as the home team for gate recipts and TV rights to ESPN/ABC)

Deep Purple

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Aug 2 2010, 10:21 PM) [snapback]606213[/snapback]
I'd be surprised if that were true. Why would Texas want to play TCU? Why would Texas want to play another game in the metroplex? (they play Dallas there every year and plan on playing conf. championships in Jerry World every year)

If that proposal were made and both teams interested I think a 1-1-1 could've been worked out (1 game in Austin, 1 at the newly renovated ACS, 1 at Jerry World with Texas as the home team for gate recipts and TV rights to ESPN/ABC)

Agree. I'm not buying it. Much as we may hate to admit it, there's really no upside for the Horns in playing TCU.

Horny4TCU

If I had the money and the power to organize it. I would have a Texas college playoff system... No Okies. No Pig People. Just Texas schools. Even the small ones!

West Coast Johnny

Oh, I think money pay out had something to do with us turning it down. If Jerry's world is our "home" do we get to keep the receipts? I have a feeling ole Bevo wanted a Piece of that action.

R

RJ Fletcher

QUOTE(rascal2203 @ Aug 2 2010, 10:13 PM) [snapback]606206[/snapback]
Claim was made that a reliable UT mega-booster said that TCU balked on a home & home because UT insisted TCU's home game be held at Jerry World

If our "home" game has to be played 20 miles from our campus in a situation where their fans can likely outnumber ours 3 or 4 to 1 and UT probably takes home the lion's share of the gross revenue, then it's not a "home & home".

Sounds to me like they balked at coming to Amon G.

ectofrog

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ Aug 2 2010, 11:14 PM) [snapback]606224[/snapback]
Oh, I think money pay out had something to do with us turning it down. If Jerry's world is our "home" do we get to keep the receipts? I have a feeling ole Bevo wanted a Piece of that action.

A piece? If this is true at all, I can see DeLoss demanding the whole thing.

"Sure, we'll give you a home game, but we'll keep the gate receipts because....ha, ha, ha, after all...we ARE the University of Texas. We deserve 100% of the money paid for college football all year long...we allow the other 119 universities to field football teams only through our magnificent mercy. You can play us in Austin, then play us in Jerry World where you will be a home team but the crowd will be even, we will keep the money...the refs will be Texas alums and will be paid more 4x as much money so long as the Horns win the game. Sound good?"

Frogo

QUOTE(ectofrog @ Aug 2 2010, 11:32 PM) [snapback]606228[/snapback]
A piece? If this is true at all, I can see DeLoss demanding the whole thing.

"Sure, we'll give you a home game, but we'll keep the gate receipts because....ha, ha, ha, after all...we ARE the University of Texas. We deserve 100% of the money paid for college football all year long...we allow the other 119 universities to field football teams only through our magnificent mercy. You can play us in Austin, then play us in Jerry World where you will be a home team but the crowd will be even, we will keep the money...the refs will be Texas alums and will be paid more 4x as much money so long as the Horns win the game. Sound good?"

Let Jerryworld be "home" for UT. We'll play our home game in our home stadium.

The above assumes, of course, a TCU-UT series was ever a serious possibility. Which I seriously doubt and not because TCU imposed onerous conditions.

Opintel

Moderators
QUOTE(TopFrog @ Aug 3 2010, 06:47 AM) [snapback]606259[/snapback]
If UT is afraid to play us in our stadium then screw 'em.

Ding, ding... :tongue:

Everyone:

Please, stop responding to representatives of the Evil Empire. They give trolls a bad name.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(rascal2203 @ Aug 2 2010, 10:13 PM) [snapback]606206[/snapback]
Listening to 105.3 on the way home this evening. Claim was made that a reliable UT mega-booster said that TCU balked on a home & home because UT insisted TCU's home game be held at Jerry World??? Sounds outrageous to me. I would think the Frogs would play away/away with UT just to have a shot at them.

Wouldn't surprise me if true, and I've been saying since they broke ground in Arlington that this would be coming. TCU would obviously prefer to play at AGCS, but the big schools are going to see the potential of playing at the DeathStar and want to have games there if at all possible.

And remember....UT's been reportedly looking to upgrade the schedule.

gdu

QUOTE(RSF @ Aug 3 2010, 08:35 AM) [snapback]606301[/snapback]
Wouldn't surprise me if true, and I've been saying since they broke ground in Arlington that this would be coming. TCU would obviously prefer to play at AGCS, but the big schools are going to see the potential of playing at the DeathStar and want to have games there if at all possible.

I agree the big schools (like LSU and Arky) will likely want to play us there. I don't think Texas wants to play us at all or anybody else in Dallas.

QUOTE(RSF @ Aug 3 2010, 08:35 AM) [snapback]606301[/snapback]
And remember....UT's been reportedly looking to upgrade the schedule.

Texas wants to upgrade the perception of their schedule, not actually play tough games. Hence looking at scheduling Minnesota and Maryland.

allclearforfrogs

Amon Carter is our stadium. Not Jerryworld. Playing home games there instead of our own place looks small time. You wouldn't think so, but think hard....

MidlandFrog

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Aug 3 2010, 08:40 AM) [snapback]606309[/snapback]
I agree the big schools (like LSU and Arky) will likely want to play us there. I don't think Texas wants to play us at all or anybody else in Dallas.
Texas wants to upgrade the perception of their schedule, not actually play tough games. Hence looking at scheduling Minnesota and Maryland.

Texas needs to upgrade their schedule and I think all of this is an acknowledgment that the Big XII as it stands now has dropped to a lower level with the loss of Nebraska. I also don't understand why fans of the Evil empire, feel like we should be honored if they are willing to play us. We don't need UT to have a top ten ranking and therefore we don't need to bend over like the rest of the Big XII does and say thank you sir may I have another. If they want a home and home and then requested JerryWorld so they can get the gate, then like others have said screw them. When will the schools like Tech, A&M, OU, and others realize that Dodds and Brown have zero respect for them. I know the money is nice, but I would rather be where we are and keep our self-respect.

Gunner

QUOTE(Deep Purple @ Aug 3 2010, 03:26 AM) [snapback]606214[/snapback]
Agree. I'm not buying it. Much as we may hate to admit it, there's really no upside for the Horns in playing TCU.

No upside bull, that is one tired ol' excuse. According to them everygame has no upside. Why don't they just play for the competition.

They are just like the BCS. Competition doesn't count, only money and taking advantage. OU refused to do the return with us 'til Dalton left. All the arrogants act alike.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I will say it again: Full page ad. Austin-American Statesman. Dispense with all of this 'Secret AD Handshake, Good Ol' Boys Club' nonsense. UT and DeLoss are worse than snakes. They only operate as they do because others fear them.

We are TCU. We are not scared of anybody.

Screw 'em. Call 'em cowards. To their face. In their hometown paper. Put all of this "Oh, we offered them a game but they were too scared to play it" whispering campaign to a dead stop right now.

Want to "upgrade" your schedule? Fine. Top 10 team. Right here. We'll make a date.

gdu

QUOTE(Gunner @ Aug 3 2010, 09:21 AM) [snapback]606334[/snapback]
No upside bull, that is one tired ol' excuse. According to them everygame has no upside. Why don't they just play for the competition.

bc they are playing for championships and so far they have been able to do that without playing for competition.

QUOTE(Gunner @ Aug 3 2010, 09:21 AM) [snapback]606334[/snapback]
They are just like the BCS. Competition doesn't count, only money and taking advantage. OU refused to do the return with us 'til Dalton left. All the arrogants act alike.

I'm not sure that's accurate. Dalton wasn't scary until last season and if the game was moved, I imagine it had more to do with us wanting the stadium complete (or at least the west side) before brining in the big teams on our sched.