• The KillerFrogs

Texas Legislature Speaks Out

Forward to me in an email from a Baylor friend. Said to have been sent today.

THE TEXAS LEGISLATURE AUSTIN
September 19, 2011
Honorable Members of the Board of Regents President William Powers Athletic Director DeLoss Dodds
The University of Texas
Austin, Texas 78701
Dear Members of the Board of Regents, President Powers and Director Dodds:
The undersigned members of the Texas Legislature write to urge you in the strongest possible terms to help us preserve the Big 12 Conference. We respectfully submit that this would be the best result for the University of Texas and for Texas as a whole. We strongly urge you to remain in the Big 12 and to grow and strengthen it as we describe below.
First, we are each grateful for the many public statements many of you have made over the past year stating that your top priority is to save, stabilize and grow the Big 12. We applaud you and are in complete agreement with you regarding this worthwhile and eminently achievable goal.
With the announcement on Saturday that Pittsburgh and Syracuse are leaving the Big East to join the ACC, we have a unique opportunity to grow and strengthen the Big 12. We propose that the remaining members of the Big 12 (with or without Oklahoma and OSU) merge with the remaining six (soon to be seven with the addition of TCU) members of the Big East into a newly configured Big 12 Conference. This would create a strong 14 (or 16) member conference, and the stability of the new Big 12 would be insured going forward.
More importantly, the treasured traditions of Texas college football would be preserved and enhanced for the millions of Texans who value crisp fall afternoons filled with 100-year rivalries played in a region that allows fans to attend the games and enjoy the pageantry and fun of Texas college football on a regular basis. The thought of Texas A&M going east and ofUT and Texas Tech going to the West Coast is tragic for those of us who love our college football.
And of course it is well known that the loss of these games would mean a serious blow to the economies of our communities and state -at a time we can ill afford it.
We suggest that the following significant benefits would come from bringing the remaining Big East schools into the Big 12:
1 Your stated goal ofpreserving the Big 12 would be accomplished.
2 The Big 12 conference office stays in Texas and the regional rivalries of over one hundred years continue to be played in our State with the benefit of economic development and jobs. Our money stays in the region and isn't exported to Washington, Oregon or California.
3 UT keeps its Longhorn Network intact with no changes. IfUT goes to the Pac 12, the network must be reconfigured, thereby costing the University millions of dollars in revenue.
4 The newly constituted Big 12 allows the remaining seven schools to share as much as $75 million in early exit fees paid to the Big 12.
5 A merger of these two great conferences would insure a continuation of the large TV contracts that are in existence for both conferences.
6 Our basketball programs will be enhanced by connecting with Big East basketball tradition.
7 There is a good fit academically between the Big 12 schools and the Big East schools.
8 The reuniting of TCU with the other three Texas Big 12 schools is reminiscent of the old Southwest Conference. Nostalgia sells tickets and advertising revenue.
9 With a l4-school super conference, we could much more easily attract two more universities and perhaps have a l6-team super conference.
10 The new Big 12 would be able to keep its Bowl Championship Series designation, meaning national championships are in the future of the Big 12.
We urge you to consider the many sound reasons for continuing the Big 12 with the inclusion of the Big East. This conference has existing strengths that cannot be manufactured in other conferences.
We exist in the best time zone (CST) and geographic location (south) for both television and future growth. Adding the East Coast and the television markets in the East will only expand the Big 12's reach. We have the best football resources for both recruiting and fan interest. We have a conference that allows for more future economic freedom as we deal with a dynamic sports world.
We respectfully urge you to take advantage ofUT's unique position to use your influence to bring home a better than ever Big 12 Conference. Obviously this opportunity needs to be accomplished quickly, as the face of college sports is changing by the minute. Of course we will help you in any way we can.
We urge you in the strongest of terms to take this action and turn this difficult situation into a win-win for Texas.
Respectfully yours,
Representative Ken Paxton Representative Charles "Doc" Anderson
Representative John Davis Representative Craig Eiland
Representative Jim Pitts Representative Mark Shelton
Representative Diane Patrick Representative Bryan Hughes
Representative Ken Legler Representative Armando Walle
Representative Jose Aliseda Representative Linda Harper Brown
Senator Brian Birdwell Representative Larry Phillips

dmpinkstaff

"...crisp fall afternoons..." - seriously?
Any of these guys go to an afternoon game recently? There wasn't even anything "crisp" about the evening game in Waco except that I was getting burnt to one in the stands.
This whole thing is messy enough without politicians getting involved.

Go Frogs!!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
But it certainly resonates with what MerchFrog posted just a little bit ago.

Just the politicians herding DeLoss towards a decision they think proper...

Deep Purple

and ut gets to keep the lhn the way it is now, f that!

That's where our brilliant Texas legislators show they don't have a clue. No way can Texas keep the LHN unchanged and still convince OU to stick.

I don't know why they wrote Texas to "save the conference" anyway. Texas isn't in the driver's seat here. OU is.

ACroofrog

While I agree there are a few issues here that are more complicated then the letter states. I have to admit reading many of their points I dont find many that I disagree with.

frogbyproxy

I've got an idea for the Texas Legislators! What ever money UT gets out of the tv deal they take the money and put back into the system and spread the wealth to all schools. Since they are funded by the state I think it would be perfect. :tongue:

Froggy Style

Take away UT's tax exempt status for hurting the economies of Ft. Worth, Waco, Dallas, and Houston if schools in those towns are relegated to Division II status...and that will get their attention.

Forming of cartels and collusion with ESPN to wreck the MWC and Big East should be enough to do so.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
OU has said it has demands in order to stay in the Big-12, and one is to straighten out exactly what the LHN may and may not show. Also when UT looked to go PAC, they had to regionify the LHN to pass muster. If it made more than a 1/16 share of all the conference's 3rd tier revenue, then it could keep the excess.

If OU and UT settled their differences and united the Big Tweast, then the LHN would definitely not stay as is.

To see if this happens we need to know was OU bluffing to get Uterus to behave, will the Bonghorns call the bluff, or realize they have overplayed their hand and modify the LHN to preserve the league?

froginaustin

This bunch of bozos is not "The Texas Legislature".

Respectfully yours,
Representative Ken Paxton Representative Charles "Doc" Anderson
Representative John Davis Representative Craig Eiland
Representative Jim Pitts Representative Mark Shelton
Representative Diane Patrick Representative Bryan Hughes
Representative Ken Legler Representative Armando Walle
Representative Jose Aliseda Representative Linda Harper Brown
Senator Brian Birdwell Representative Larry Phillips

It's just a small group of posturing politicians putting their names before the public.

ifrog

"...crisp fall afternoons..." - seriously?
Any of these guys go to an afternoon game recently? There wasn't even anything "crisp" about the evening game in Waco except that I was getting burnt to one in the stands.
This whole thing is messy enough without politicians getting involved.

Lmao

Go Frogs!!

Deep Purple

UT will do whatever they want to do. It's their conference and they are in charge.
Not if they want to keep the conference together, they aren't. They have to satisfy OU, because if the Oklahoma schools leave, then other schools are likely to start bailing and the conference is DOA. Texas is not in a position of power here. OU is.

None of this means TCU will be included in the picture. It's evident Texas doesn't want us. The only way we would be included is if OU wanted us. And I can't think of a reason why they would.

HornedFroginAustin

It is interesting that we complain or make a huge deal out of BU using their political connections, but don't embrace the same. To pretend that politics can't improve/impact a situation is silly. Politics can have a positive or negative impact. We should take advantage of any opportunity to positively impact our school. I am not saying that the Big 12 is the right move for us but disregarding the impact that politicians can/do have is ignoring the lessons of the past.

Screaming Flea

When you get right down to it, nothing is going to change in the big 12. The politics will still be there. Maybe not so much in the front room but the back room will be busy. And if BYU accepts, eventually an out and out war begins!!! The worse kind,Texas politics and Mormon morals. And standing on the sideline with hat in hand is the Baylor Baptist. Hot damn.