• The KillerFrogs

TCU Student shot, killed in West 7th (apparently a former FB player)

frogs9497

Nothing good ever happens in West 7th late at night.

Fort Worth police are investigating a shooting that killed a TCU student who was standing in a street in the West 7th district early Friday, officials said. In a statement to the Star-Telegram, a TCU spokesperson said, “We are devastated by the tragic death of one of our students, junior Wes Smith from Germantown, Tennessee. He was a beloved member of our community, and we grieve with his family and friends.”

FloridaFrog76129

Not the same location. Not in Downtown. On West 7th Avenue.
There has always been a heavy police presence at both locations. Correction being downtown is private but west 7th has always had plain cops

TCUdirtbag

Absolutely devastating. There have been some pretty bad accidents involving students early in several of the last few years. It’s a harsh reminder that we nor our kids are guaranteed tomorrow. Hug your kids and tell ‘em you love ‘em.

Chongo94

There has always been a heavy police presence at both locations. Correction being downtown is private but west 7th has always had plain cops
I’ve never seen many cops in the 7th area….even when Chimy’s and all that came in. More started to patrol a bit but nowhere near a heavy presence as you assert.

That article was from 2021 so your “always” has been for two years…

TCUdirtbag

TCU was pretty pushy in “encouraging” University/Berry area landlords to move occupancy away from nightlife/bars, IIRC.

I think 10-20 years ago there were concerns about what activities those establishments drew onto/adjacent to campus. But perhaps the changing demographics of the city should lead us to ask whether providing students with/at least not actively opposing options closer to campus and enhancing university efforts and resources to promote safety would actually better serve our students than shipping them across town? Of course there’s a cost for everything (looking at you, tuition), but something to think about. And as student population grows, the ability to sustain more bars etc. around campus is going to continue to improve.

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
TCU was pretty pushy in “encouraging” University/Berry area landlords to move occupancy away from nightlife/bars, IIRC.

I think 10-20 years ago there were concerns about what activities those establishments drew onto/adjacent to campus. But perhaps the changing demographics of the city should lead us to ask whether providing students with/at least not actively opposing options closer to campus and enhancing university efforts and resources to promote safety would actually better serve our students than shipping them across town? Of course there’s a cost for everything (looking at you, tuition), but something to think about. And as student population grows, the ability to sustain more bars etc. around campus is going to continue to improve.
When I was a student we had The Stables, The Pub, The Hi Hat, The Hop, and Spencer's Corner, basically across the street from campus. The worst thing I ever saw was someone throwing up.