• The KillerFrogs

TCU should go to the Pac16

Stiff Arm Frog

Crazy? Yes. Crazy enough to work? Maybe. But we can't just sit around twiddling our thumbs, waiting for the Big East to collapse. We need to do something, and I think that this is the best, most realistic option.

If it looks like all the conferences are going to 16, then the PacX will go after Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Then they need two other schools to fill their ranks. They don't want Boise and they don't want any other MWC school, because they still care about academics. They might go after Kansas and K-Sate, but what they really want is a foothold in Texas. In my opinion UT will go indy, so that puts them out, and I can't imagine the California schools want anything to do with Tech or Baylor, for academic and political reasons. Plus, I'm not sure the Lubbock and Waco markets are really that exciting to Larry Scott.

SMU and TCU both have solid academics. We play solid football. Together we ostensibly deliver the entire DFW area. Why wouldn't the Pac schools consider such an arrangement?

Here's how the divisions would look:

Pac-West: (The original Pac8)
Wash U
Wash State
Oregon
Oregon State
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC

Pac-East:
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Colorado
Oklahoma
Okie State
TCU
SMU

Boomhauer

Crazy? Yes. Crazy enough to work? Maybe. But we can't just sit around twiddling our thumbs, waiting for the Big East to collapse. We need to do something, and I think that this is the best, most realistic option.

If it looks like all the conferences are going to 16, then the PacX will go after Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Then they need two other schools to fill their ranks. They don't want Boise and they don't want any other MWC school, because they still care about academics. They might go after Kansas and K-Sate, but what they really want is a foothold in Texas. In my opinion UT will go indy, so that puts them out, and I can't imagine the California schools want anything to do with Tech or Baylor, for academic and political reasons. Plus, I'm not sure the Lubbock and Waco markets are really that exciting to Larry Scott.

SMU and TCU both have solid academics. We play solid football. Together we ostensibly deliver the entire DFW area. Why wouldn't the Pac schools consider such an arrangement?

Here's how the divisions would look:

Pac-West: (The original Pac8)
Wash U
Wash State
Oregon
Oregon State
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC

Pac-East:
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Colorado
Oklahoma
Okie State
TCU
SMU

I said this in another post, but unfortunately the Pac-12 will never invite a religious school. That's why they invited Utah and Colorado last year to prevent Baylor from being included in the discussion (only left 4 slots for UT, Tech, OU, and OSU).

if the PAC-12 does expand, it will pick one of these two options:

Option 1 - OU, OSU, Tech, UT
Option 2 - OU, OSU, Tech, Kansas

InterestedObserver

SMU and TCU combined probably rank 3rd at best when it comes to delivering the DFW market. Both Texas and A&M hold more of this market, while OU and Tech might push a TCU/SMU combo to 5th.

Few schools hold their own cards in this deal and TCU/SMU aren't amoung them.

Dogfrog

SMU and TCU combined probably rank 3rd at best when it comes to delivering the DFW market. Both Texas and A&M hold more of this market, while OU and Tech might push a TCU/SMU combo to 5th.

Few schools hold their own cards in this deal and TCU/SMU aren't amoung them.

Forget SMU. It's insane to even bring them up. What TCU brings over Tech is a stronger football program and a location in DFW rather than Lubbock. What TCU brings to these far away conferences is a chance to bring their conference to Texas. That means DFW recruiting and media. Big picture, TEch doesn't really tilt the meter on TV sets much either. A conference like the PAC would provide the brand that will draw viewers. USC, UCLA, Stanford, Washington, ASU, etc. All they need is a platform to do it from. That ain't Lubbock.

Houston Frog

A.) It's just not gonna happen, the PAC 12 won't want us.
B.) I feel like you're just assuming the Big East is gonna fall apart, like it's some foregone conclusion. It might, but I wouldn't put money on it.

InterestedObserver

Forget SMU. It's insane to even bring them up. What TCU brings over Tech is a stronger football program and a location in DFW rather than Lubbock. What TCU brings to these far away conferences is a chance to bring their conference to Texas. That means DFW recruiting and media. Big picture, TEch doesn't really tilt the meter on TV sets much either. A conference like the PAC would provide the brand that will draw viewers. USC, UCLA, Stanford, Washington, ASU, etc. All they need is a platform to do it from. That ain't Lubbock.

I'm not going to argue with you, but will just say I disagree.

The one thing I'm certain of is that neither TCU nor Tech have the credentials to pick up the phone, call the Pac 12, and expect an invite. Tech's chances to head west are tied directly to UT, and possibly OU. Chances to move east, while an even further shot, are tied to A&M.

I'm not convinced the Big East is really in trouble unless this truly becomes 4 conferences of 16. If that happens, everyone is at risk.

BABYFACE

The one thing I'm certain of is that neither TCU nor Tech have the credentials to pick up the phone, call the Pac 12, and expect an invite. Tech's chances to head west are tied directly to UT, and possibly OU. Chances to move east, while an even further shot, are tied to A&M.

I'm not convinced the Big East is really in trouble unless this truly becomes 4 conferences of 16. If that happens, everyone is at risk.

Agree.

Dogfrog

I don't want to argue either because I generally agree with your post. The only thing I disagree slightly about is the desire that the SEC, PAC, BE, and ACC have to own a footprint in the Texas market. I think that is much stronger than people realize. For example, I don't think the SEC really desires A&M the institution that much, A&M just represents what the SEC considers their best option to enter the Texas recruiting / TV market. This is the same attraction the BE had with TCU, and I believe that any combination of BE / ACC would continue to desire that presence.

InterestedObserver

I don't want to argue either because I generally agree with your post. The only thing I disagree slightly about is the desire that the SEC, PAC, BE, and ACC have to own a footprint in the Texas market. I think that is much stronger than people realize. For example, I don't think the SEC really desires A&M the institution that much, A&M just represents what the SEC considers their best option to enter the Texas recruiting / TV market. This is the same attraction the BE had with TCU, and I believe that any combination of BE / ACC would continue to desire that presence.

I can see your point and think it's valid on some levels. I guess it just comes down to where these conferences really centralize. If the Big East and ACC "merge", it comes down to who controls it. I would think the ACC gets the upper hand in that regard mainly due to the Big East issue with basketball-only schools. Then it comes down to who the ACC takes and TCU could have a geography issue in that regard. Is that a deal killer? I have no idea.

I guess my thought is the current members of "surviving" conferences have the upper hand. Everyone else is on the outside looking in with the exceptions being OU and UT who can write their own tickets. No conference is going to "kick out" any existing member. That leaves the rest begging from scraps.

I do find the entire situation fascinating, if not a bit scary. I just hope it goes well for the Frogs as I've been excited about the move to the Big East.

Houston Frog

Its not the idea per se Sherlock, but the improbability of it. Pigs will fly and SMU will win a national championship before that would ever happen. I dont mind ideas as long as they stay within the realm of reality.

I think we should call up the AFC South and see if they'll take us and University of North Texas as part of a package deal

Stiff Arm Frog

Its not the idea per se Sherlock, but the improbability of it. Pigs will fly and SMU will win a national championship before that would ever happen. I dont mind ideas as long as they stay within the realm of reality.

We'll have to agree to differ. Nothing is outside the realm of possibility right now.

I think TCU should pursue all opportunities, and this is a dang good one.

Cougar/Frog

Tech would only get a Pac-12 invite if required to get Texas. Otherwise, it is worth less than Baylor to the Pac-12, given its weak market, weak academics, and weak history.

For the Pac-12, OU is the prize now that Texas is out. And OU comes with Okie State.

The biggest problem for TCU with regards to the Pac-12 is the name "Texas Christian University" --- Yes, TCU is almost as secular today as USC (which began as a Methodist institution) and nowhere as religious as Baylor or BYU, but try telling that to Stanford, UCLA, and Cal....

So, ranking the candidates:

1. OU
2. Okie State
3. KU

After that:
4. TCU -- -best market, best football credibility, most compatible with the Pac-12 culture, Rose Bowl!!!! or
5. K St. --- may be tied to KU; academically average, middle of nowhere,