• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Longfrog

How about a new indoor stadium with 6 courts (not 5) and fan friendly with seating (currently stand Room only). Worst indoor facility in the Big 12. Tech currently building new facility. Ok St & UT new facilities within last 5 years. ADJD probably doesn’t know how to get to our indoor courts.
Yeah I was aiming low. The indoor facilities as a whole are a joke. I'd love to actually get 6 playable courts with room for fans plus cameras, but I'll take any improvement at this point.

Jared7

OP. Happy for ol’ Jared. He probably doesn’t even know yet.
I knew. Even with no computer access, I hassled a colleague with a cell phone for updates constantly...

Congrats to Roditi, Bowen, Pham and the entire team on a job well done!! Indoor National Champions has a nice ring to it. We knew we were going to be good last June and it panned out. Thanks to all the Frog fans who made this championship run so fun! Thanks to all contributors on this thread!

froggy

I knew. Even with no computer access, I hassled a colleague with a cell phone for updates constantly...

Congrats to Roditi, Bowen, Pham and the entire team on a job well done!! Indoor National Champions has a nice ring to it. We knew we were going to be good last June and it panned out. Thanks to all the Frog fans who made this championship run so fun! Thanks to all contributors on this thread!
What were the totals like today was 4-1 , Ohio state, Texas,Virginia totals?

Jared7

Looking ahead, we've got Norrie in Acapulco this week and Rybakov is in Santo Domingo. But the Frogs are going to get a much-deserved rest until we host Michigan next Wednesday. And then Illinois. Both of which are very good teams albeit not quite the level we've been playing recently. But the difference is that everyone is going to be aiming at the Frogs now - we're no longer under the radar. The objective is to maintain a Top 8 ranking so that, like baseball, we will be eligible to not only host a regional (the Top 16 teams do that) but also a super-regional (if we win our regional) in the NCAA's this May. Hosting is definitely an advantage. And, obviously, we want to win the Big 12 regular season and the Big 12 tourney. After the Big 10 schools, we've got Baylor in a non-conference tilt before Big 12 play commences and we'll also head to California to play UCLA. Vis-a-vis Tennessee, the new expected #1, we'll need to match them W for W. And the fact that we've played 5 matches against SEC teams (and went 4-1 through that) will enhance the comparison. Florida remains a huge threat as does Baylor. And obviously, Ohio State. And don't count Texas out. The season is still young - only about a quarter of the way through. And the action moves outdoors immediately. Are we as good outside in the elements? Will our new-found depth continue to show? The reaction of many will be "it's just the Indoors" and the real season starts now.

Retired Frog

Maybe a little biased but I see Coach Bell and Woman’s Soccer begin to assend up from the National level to very elite as his success continues and he keeps adding more and more talent

FrogUltimate

Looking ahead, we've got Norrie in Acapulco this week and Rybakov is in Santo Domingo. But the Frogs are going to get a much-deserved rest until we host Michigan next Wednesday. And then Illinois. Both of which are very good teams albeit not quite the level we've been playing recently. But the difference is that everyone is going to be aiming at the Frogs now - we're no longer under the radar. The objective is to maintain a Top 8 ranking so that, like baseball, we will be eligible to not only host a regional (the Top 16 teams do that) but also a super-regional (if we win our regional) in the NCAA's this May. Hosting is definitely an advantage. And, obviously, we want to win the Big 12 regular season and the Big 12 tourney. After the Big 10 schools, we've got Baylor in a non-conference tilt before Big 12 play commences and we'll also head to California to play UCLA. Vis-a-vis Tennessee, the new expected #1, we'll need to match them W for W. And the fact that we've played 5 matches against SEC teams (and went 4-1 through that) will enhance the comparison. Florida remains a huge threat as does Baylor. And obviously, Ohio State. And don't count Texas out. The season is still young - only about a quarter of the way through. And the action moves outdoors immediately. Are we as good outside in the elements? Will our new-found depth continue to show? The reaction of many will be "it's just the Indoors" and the real season starts now.

So my take on our indoors vs outdoors skill:
Fomba - clearly better indoors. Has an absolute hammer of a serve that is benefitted playing indoors. See Gray, Alistair.
Aguilar - the opposite. He's going to be better outdoors. Doesn't play a big game and needs to grind which is difficult indoors.
Jong - I'd place him somewhere in the middle, maybe slightly towards indoors. He can hit some pretty huge serves and certainly likes to hit big when he has a chance.
Vives - I think he's going to be pretty similar to Jong.
Fearnley - probably slightly better indoors, he likes to destroy forehands. Consistently hits the forehand about as hard as you can. Although he gets good topspin so I don't think there will be much difference.
Maxted - not really sure. I'd say it's a wash.

Overall we are probably a slightly better indoors team, and really, after being the #1 indoors team there's not much in the way of improvement to be gained. I'd firmly expect us to be a top 4 team come tournament time.

I've been keeping track of singles record this year and here's the current status through all of indoors:
Fomba: 6-2 (75%)
Aguilar: 6-4 (60%)
Jong: 8-3 (73%)
Vives: 6-1 (86%)
Fearnley: 7-1 (88%)
Maxted: 5-3 (63%)

FrogUltimate

And in pro Frogs notes:
Norrie remains #12, but he put a little gap between himself and #13, although the gap to #11 is bigger. If you see Hurkacz and Sinner in a tournament, root against them.

Gray moves up further than I anticipated and he's now #361, surpassing Rybakov (#372). Chappell must of had a huge tournament fall off his rankings, he dropped all the way to #454. We should see Gray start taking his chances in Challengers now, will be interesting to see that step-up. Rybakov and Chappell both weren't able to consistently play at that level.

Longfrog

Aguilar - the opposite. He's going to be better outdoors. Doesn't play a big game and needs to grind which is difficult indoors.
I agree with your assessments across the board. On Aguilar, he probably is better outdoors than indoors, but I'm going to stick with viewing him as first and foremost a high variance player. When he's on, he can beat anyone on any surface. Besides Fomba, I don't know that we have another player capable of beating the likes of Shelton, Finn Reynolds, Rodesch and Bailly in just 5 weeks. Also had a shot at Montes had he been allowed to continue. But when he's off, he can look awful.

I still favor playing him up at #2 since I don't think his results depend on the quality of his opponent so much as on how he's playing that day.

I'll add that I think Jirousek figures into the outdoor season if healthy. He's clearly better outside than in. Coming from England, I expect Maxted to need some time getting used to playing in windy conditions. I think Lui stays in the doubles lineup but Jirousek plays more singles the rest of the year.

Purp

Yeah, I checked and we're still projected 3rd. We'll see...
That's a darning joke. I went back and looked at your lists of their opponents compared to ours it's it's not like we played a markedly weaker schedule. And nobody has run off the number of consecutive quality wins as we have up to now. Plus, our only loss is to a team we just beat 4-1 (and would have at least been 5-2) for a natty. That's decisive. How the hell to you beat #1 and #2 in the nation on consecutive days as the #4 team in the nation, with only a single nail-biter loss (4-3) to #2 tarnishing your season record, and not jump to #1? Idiot computers is how. It's criminal.

Last edited:

Longfrog

That's a darning joke. I went back and looked at your lists of their opponents compared to ours it's it's not like we played a markedly weaker schedule. And nobody has run off the number of consecutive quality wins as we have up to now. Plus, our only loss is to a team we just beat 4-1 (and would have at least been 5-2) for a natty. That's decisive. How the hell to you beat #1 and #2 in the nation on consecutive days as the #4 team in the nation, with only a single nail-biter loss (4-3) to #2 tarnishing your season record, and not jump to #1? Idiot computers is how. It's criminal.
I agree but would say two things in response. First of all, the punishment for losing to a top team is extremely small the way they do the formula, so Tenn's 2 losses don't mean much. I don't think that's the fairest way to do it, but I think they want to encourage the top teams to play each other. Second, Tennessee can kind of go [ teat ] for tat on the quality wins front. There is probably no single win that's more valuable in the formula than beating us in FW, since they get a road win bonus, so that more than cancels out our win over them at a neutral site. They also have top 10 wins against Baylor, S Carolina, and Wake. Each of those teams won 2 matches at indoors. I happen to think Ohio State, Florida, and Texas are clearly better wins than that bunch, but the computers don't know that yet.

Last edited:

Longfrog

One more thing, the computers are only counting your top 4 wins so far. We've got a bunch of quality wins that don't count yet. As we progress through the season, the formula adds more wins, so that at the end of the season it counts your top 10 wins, I think. Our 7th best win is against UVA, theirs is against Memphis. But the computers haven't factored that in yet.

Jared7

And in pro Frogs notes:
Norrie remains #12, but he put a little gap between himself and #13, although the gap to #11 is bigger. If you see Hurkacz and Sinner in a tournament, root against them.

Gray moves up further than I anticipated and he's now #361, surpassing Rybakov (#372). Chappell must of had a huge tournament fall off his rankings, he dropped all the way to #454. We should see Gray start taking his chances in Challengers now, will be interesting to see that step-up. Rybakov and Chappell both weren't able to consistently play at that level.
Cam had actually slipped to 13th prior to Delray, so the title moved him back up to his CH of 12th. The Tennis Channel guys were saying that he's going to be defending his 1000 points from Indian Wells when the tourney is held again at its usual time in 3 weeks, so I'm guessing that means that they're going to stick with "can't use points from the same event twice" rule and he won't be able to keep his points for the full year like "normal." Kind of a drag. That means that he's likely headed down unless he can keep winning at Acapulco and the California desert.

Gray is now the 2nd highest ranked Frog! (Not counting Brooksby). Nick Chappell is also at Santo Domingo (with Rybo) - his first rounder is TBD, so I'm guessing he got a bye.