• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis - 2020-2021

jake102

I still like our top 3 pretty well, and I think doubles will be a big strength as the season goes along. At a minimum, you should be 2-2 or better at that point regardless of the opponent. But without Fearnley, the bottom 3 is weak. Any combination of Paroulek/Jirousek/Kruger/Martin is pretty vulnerable to dropping 2 out of 3. But with Fearnley, it looks a whole lot better. I realize I'm putting a lot on a guy who isn't a world beater or anything. But we can't afford any weak spots and I think he solves that.

Yeah I thought Martin was supposed to be a stronger player for some reason.

Longfrog

Yeah I thought Martin was supposed to be a stronger player for some reason.

I'm honestly kind of impressed that he's done as well as he has. Gianni Ross has a ton of experience and won't lose many matches at #6. Martin basically lost the 1st set by a point, crushed him in set 2, and just got tight at the end of a long match in what's probably the most nerve wracking moment of his career.

But yeah, I certainly don't think he's a better option than Kruger. Hopefully we see Jirousek/Kruger/Fearnley at 4/5/6 vs Tennessee. Maybe hold Fearnley out of doubles if you're worried about conditioning.

Longfrog

Tennessee looking pretty feisty against UNC. Lost the doubles point in a tiebreaker, keeping it close in singles. Biggest surprise is on court 1. I think anyone would say UNC's Will Blumberg is one of the top 2 or 3 college players in the country, and he just got bageled in the first set. So take heart, Tadeas! It can happen to anyone!

edit: UNC managed to scrape out the first set on courts 3 through 6, so they're in decent shape

Last edited:

Longfrog

Lol the odds for Norrie to win one set is +370. Basically have a 25% chance of him winning one set. They give him a ~6% chance to win the match

Sounds about right. He might get a few breaks, but he'll have to serve lights out and not really sure that's in the cards.

Longfrog

USC really on their heels. Mor Bulis is one of their best players but is sitting today. He's been hurt but played against Kentucky yesterday. Announcers are hinting that it may have been a play to get him some rest in a match USC expected to win pretty handily. If so, it looks like a massive blunder as Illinois won the doubles point in a tiebreaker and cruised to an easy win at #6 singles. Only trailing on one court at the moment.

So Jared's call that USC did not belong in the "elite" tier is looking like the right one. Who knows, if things hold we may get to play them on Sunday.

Longfrog

Meanwhile, Baylor cruised to a win today against UT and looks like they could catch a huge break by avoiding USC in the semis. When the draw came out I thought they had a much easier half than we did, but I never would have expected a (possible) Illini win. I really think UVA should have been seeded ahead of UT, which would have flipped our opponents. But we still should have won today.

Longfrog

Illinois does it. Announcers sound suitably shocked. Only regret is no fans as the celebration would have been about as loud as it gets in college tennis.

Jared7

Tennessee is a very good team. With the 4-2 L to UNC, they are now 8-1, with W's over OU, Tennessee Tech, ETSU, Mississippi, NC State, Notre Dame, Duke and NC State again. So it's actually fairly similar to us although their W over Ole Miss was at home. Against Carolina, Adam Walton was beating Blumberg, and Johannes Monday easily beat Hijikata. It was a heartbreaking doubles point loss and the other singles matches which led to the Vols' loss. They can easily beat us if we don't play well.

Norrie-Nadal is scheduled for 3:15 a.m. I guess we'll find out tomorrow, cause I ain't staying up that late.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Tennessee is a very good team. With the 4-2 L to UNC, they are now 8-1, with W's over OU, Tennessee Tech, ETSU, Mississippi, NC State, Notre Dame, Duke and NC State again. So it's actually fairly similar to us although their W over Ole Miss was at home. Against Carolina, Adam Walton was beating Blumberg, and Johannes Monday easily beat Hijikata. It was a heartbreaking doubles point loss and the other singles matches which led to the Vols' loss. They can easily beat us if we don't play well.

Norrie-Nadal is scheduled for 3:15 a.m. I guess we'll find out tomorrow, cause I ain't staying up that late.
Found this:

Second set: Norrie* 5-7, 2-6 Nadal From 2-2 in that set Nadal upped his game in the most terrifying style, and has simply blasted Norrie off the court in the last 15 minutes as he wrapped up the set. It has been quite literally awesome. Norrie’s levels haven’t dropped noticeably, he’s just being outplayed.”

Jared7

It'll be Fomba/Gray; Paroulek/Jong and Fearnley/Kruger in doubles today against the Volunteers. Doubles starting shortly...

Early, we're down a break on 1; even on serve on 2 and 3.

Now up a break on 3, but still down on 1 (these no-ads are decisive).

Now down a break on 1 and 2; still up on 3. Not looking good.

Sander/Teddy fall 4-6. But Luc/Ali break back!

Last edited:

Jared7

Kruger/Fearnley come through 6-4! It's all up to Gray/Fomba now - currently leading 5-4 on serve.

Now 5-all as we lose a set point at no-ad for the break and the doubles point.

5-6. (sigh) Another lost no-ad and Walton/Harper get the break and will serve for the match.

Tennessee 1 TCU 0. We lose the doubles point. The singles line-up will be Gray v. Walton; Fomba v. Monday; Jong v. Prata; Jirousek v. Hussey; Paroulek v. Widenmann; and Fearnley v. Harper.

Scratch that - in a late change, it's Martin at 5 and Kurzban at 6. I've got to go to work shortly; hopefully, me not following this will bring us luck.

Last edited:

Longfrog

Kurzban? I get that Fearnley might not be ready yet, and Paroulek played his way out of singles yesterday. But why not Kruger?

Longfrog

Gray getting run over on 1. Same thing happened to Blumberg yesterday for a set, though he came back to win 2nd set pretty easily. UNC won singles matches at 3, 4, and 6, and split sets at #5. It seems like we'd be able to use the same formula, but I'm not sure we have our strongest lineup today.

Longfrog

Dang. Kurzban loses 1st set breaker 12-10. Good news is Jong is about to win, Fomba is up a set, and Gray is about to level things at a set apiece. Jirousek at 5-5. I could see us winning 3 of those 4 but not looking likely to win at 5 or 6. Martin is down a set and a break. Doubles point hurt.