• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf 2023-2024

Big 12 has won 7 of the last 25 national championships. SEC has also won 7 of the last 25. However, with UT and OU leaving for the SEC, there's going to be a big shift. This is not news, but it's sad to see yet another era end. Scheiss OU and UT. OSU will have to carry the banner, but there are very strong programs in Arizona and Arizona State coming in. Maybe UH can return to their glory days. Great opportunity for TCU and our new coach. Little bit of a rough start, but Montigel's first few years were a disaster. Alcorn seems like the kind of guy who can get it done.

JogginFrog

Big 12 has won 7 of the last 25 national championships. SEC has also won 7 of the last 25. However, with UT and OU leaving for the SEC, there's going to be a big shift. This is not news, but it's sad to see yet another era end. Scheiss OU and UT. OSU will have to carry the banner, but there are very strong programs in Arizona and Arizona State coming in. Maybe UH can return to their glory days. Great opportunity for TCU and our new coach. Little bit of a rough start, but Montigel's first few years were a disaster. Alcorn seems like the kind of guy who can get it done.
Not that every school hosts tournaments (or does so locally), but between Florida, Ohio/WV, Texas, Arizona and UT/CO, the new Big XII offers an amazing array of course and grass types.

Team results this year were rough, but Alcorn will soon have a new facility to show off, can say he coached a player who earned pro status direct-from-college via PGA Tour University, and can point to Wilt as a player who developed meaningfully in the program. Some things to build on.

First Tee Frog

Not that every school hosts tournaments (or does so locally), but between Florida, Ohio/WV, Texas, Arizona and UT/CO, the new Big XII offers an amazing array of course and grass types.

Team results this year were rough, but Alcorn will soon have a new facility to show off, can say he coached a player who earned pro status direct-from-college via PGA Tour University, and can point to Wilt as a player who developed meaningfully in the program. Some things to build on.
BA will be fine. The 24 recruiting class is ok but not great and he will need to try to grab a sr or two in the portal. The 25 class which is really his first class is really good. They have done a good job the ship will turn when that group gets on campus.

JogginFrog

BA will be fine. The 24 recruiting class is ok but not great and he will need to try to grab a sr or two in the portal. The 25 class which is really his first class is really good. They have done a good job the ship will turn when that group gets on campus.
@First Tee Frog, would love to hear your thoughts on how the staff is working to develop players, and any progress reports on the new practice facility.

First Tee Frog

@First Tee Frog, would love to hear your thoughts on how the staff is working to develop players, and any progress reports on the new practice facility.
I honestly haven’t talked with either coach much this year. Occasionally see them but not a ton. I did talk to Gus the other day and he said essentially the guys are working hard, just young, inexperienced,and very raw. Said the overall feel around the program is very positive and guys are fully onboard. Like I said though. It’s gonna be the 25 class that turns this thing around so patience is needed.

JogginFrog

Is it bad when you finish in last place as a team…by a lot…and have the individual champion? Dial and beauchamp work with the same instructor. Might be time to rethink that relationship. Yeesh
When I see multiple scores in the 80s, I also wonder about strategy. HC Allcorn came from OU, where the philosophy, as I understand it, is hyper-aggressive. But I think that requires a certain caliber of player to pull off. And I rarely see hyper-aggression on the Tour--much the opposite. I wonder how much these guys benefit from trying to send 330-yard bombs through narrow windows. Sure, they can pull it off, but the cost of missing really adds up.

But I'll hand it to Whispering Pines--that course does a nice job separating the best from the rest.

JogginFrog

Angela Stanford is getting some press this week as her long streak of major appearances looks likely to end with the upcoming U.S. Women's Open.

Last week, Angela competed in The Chevron Championship, her 98th straight major dating back to 2002. (She missed the cut by one shot.) This week, she played in a U.S. Women's Open qualifier in California and did not qualify. She also got news that the Open would not grant her an exemption. That means she has to win an LPGA event in the next month to keep the streak alive. Not expecting to do so, Angela posted online that she expects to retire after this season.

She had been working to play in 100 straight majors. No woman had done so; the only man to do it was Jack Nicklaus (146 straight). Adam Scott is at 90.

One TCU grad who did qualify this month for the U.S. Women's Open is Sabrina Iqbal, who finished second in a 72-player field in another California qualifier.

First Tee Frog

When I see multiple scores in the 80s, I also wonder about strategy. HC Allcorn came from OU, where the philosophy, as I understand it, is hyper-aggressive. But I think that requires a certain caliber of player to pull off. And I rarely see hyper-aggression on the Tour--much the opposite. I wonder how much these guys benefit from trying to send 330-yard bombs through narrow windows. Sure, they can pull it off, but the cost of missing really adds up.

But I'll hand it to Whispering Pines--that course does a nice job separating the best from the rest.
I don’t know much about the style of play but I can tell you what all the analytics say and what you are seeing on tour nowadays is super aggressive off the tee and very conservative targets into greens. Driver is almost always the correct play even on a tight golf course.