• The KillerFrogs

TCU canceled class on Wednesday

There is also the problem of having a good teacher and hating the class subject. The odds of liking a class and having a good teacher are extremely low. If you want proof of the garbage teachers here, I will be happy to send you emails I have saved for just such an occasion.

Graduated in 2007, but I am fairly certain that most of the professors I had are still teaching there.

You'd be surprised...not to mention the huge increase in enrollment. They might still be here, but the problem is that with 2x more students the other professor hired is a random adjunct who has never taught before.

I'm not just hating here. I actually would love to be a professor myself so I can greatly improve what I have dealt with.

TCU2002

Like I said, I'm a business major. I am guessing you were not or are not a recent grad.

If you are a business major and are not liking the experience, why do you remain one? Unless you are majoring in accounting, a profession with rigid requirements for what course students must complete to enter the field, there are lots of majors you could pursue and still enter the "business" profession.

Try out History, Political Science, Philosophy, English, Foreign Language, Art History, Religion, Sociology, Anthropology, Area studies. I assume you are not interested in science or engineering, so I won't mention those.

Point is, college is too precious of an educational opportunity to miss out on learning things that you are interested in or to waste time in courses that you don't find intellectually enriching.

What are you bumping for?

TCU2002 I sent you a PM. It is important to point out that college is investment. You are trying to increase your worth to a company, which will increase your pay grade. None of the those subjects you mentioned pay very well and you probably will not get a job without going to grad school. More sunk costs before you earn a dime. Not everyone is here with a blank check...

jake102

Point is, college is too precious of an educational opportunity to miss out on learning things that you are interested in or to waste time in courses that you don't find intellectually enriching.

I think this is one of the biggest mistakes/lies people tell students.

My older sister graduated with a degree is history and pyschology because those were her two favorite subjects. Now she wishes that she would have sucked it up and majored in something that would have made her at least semi-attractive to a company.

She went on to get her law degree immediately after college, but isn't sure she wants to do law now that she has graduated and passed the BAR. Unfortunately, with her undergraduate background, she has little choice.

You can always learn history and interesting things on your own time. College is an investment, treat it as such.

FinanceFrog

TCU2002 I sent you a PM. It is important to point out that college is investment. You are trying to increase your worth to a company, which will increase your pay grade. None of the those subjects you mentioned pay very well and you probably will not get a job without going to grad school. More sunk costs before you earn a dime. Not everyone is here with a blank check...

hate to break it to you chris chris, but pay grades for starting positions are pretty standard for all undergrads unless you have something to really distinguish yourself. i do agree though that your major can help you land your first job. but after that, it's up to you and your abilities/job performance.

find something you like to do and that you have the god given talent for, and the money will come. in my experience, you will be miserable if you make career decisions only based on pay.

of course you probably disagree with this post and we should all bow down to you and your infinite college wisdom.

FinanceFrog

My older sister graduated with a degree is history and pyschology because those were her two favorite subjects. Now she wishes that she would have sucked it up and majored in something that would have made her at least semi-attractive to a company.

She went on to get her law degree immediately after college, but isn't sure she wants to do law now that she has graduated and passed the BAR. Unfortunately, with her undergraduate background, she has little choice.

You can always learn history and interesting things on your own time. College is an investment, treat it as such.

so she should have picked a major that she's not interested in? and then what? work the rest of her life for a company and job she doesn't care about or have the skill set for?

your sister needs to talk to her career services department and then she'll realize how much of a diverse field law is. law students have a lot of options.

TCU2002

BS. Pre-professional training matters for a limited number of fields. Accounting, Engineering, Nursing, Teaching (if you need to be certified), Computer Software Programmer. There may be others.

For everything else, it's about charisma, warmth, being effective in written and verbal communication, knowing enough to be able to hold an interesting conversation, perhaps proficiency in a foreign language. If you have these skills, you will be attractive to people and they will want to work with you. Your older sister may be struggling to get her career off the ground, but I am guessing her choice of major is not what is to blame.

jake102

so she should have picked a major that she's not interested in? and then what? work the rest of her life for a company and job she doesn't care about or have the skill set for?

your sister needs to talk to her career services department and then she'll realize how much of a diverse field law is. law students have a lot of options.

When you are making $0 a year it's not sustainable. After you get that first job you can then take the time to find out what you want to do and work towards getting there while getting > $0 a year.

My sister actually has found something she likes within law and is pursuing that currently. But for a year or so she was fairly disgruntled. She just wish she could of had an accounting or finance or economics degree and the law degree. Opens up many more doors, or at least opens them wider.

jake102

BS. Pre-professional training matters for a limited number of fields. Accounting, Engineering, Nursing, Teaching (if you need to be certified), Computer Software Programmer. There may be others.

For everything else, it's about charisma, warmth, being effective in written and verbal communication, knowing enough to be able to hold an interesting conversation, perhaps proficiency in a foreign language. If you have these skills, you will be attractive to people and they will want to work with you. Your older sister may be struggling to get her career off the ground, but I am guessing her choice of major is not what is to blame.

Have fun walking into Deloitte with a history degree. Or an investment bank. Or Enron. They want nothing to do with history majors.

FinanceFrog

Have fun walking into Deloitte with a history degree. Or an investment bank. Or Enron. They want nothing to do with history majors.

why would a history major want to work for those companies?

you're obsessed about getting hired by a company that your skill set and natural abilities don't line up with. even if someone was willing to "sacrifice" and get an accounting degree, within 2 years on the job they would be miserable because they don't naturally like the field.

life's too short to get a degree in a field you're not interested in just so you can work for deloitte. you might get hired for a starting position, but you won't advance past that because you don't have passion for the job.

jake102

why would a history major want to work for those companies?

Make money?? If you're a history major and you don't want anything to do with teaching at any level, what the hell do you do? I guess eventually you could find a fun job or something, but until then you are unemployed making $0

FinanceFrog

Make money?? If you're a history major and you don't want anything to do with teaching at any level, what the hell do you do? I guess eventually you could find a fun job or something, but until then you are unemployed making $0

research, archive for libraries or collections.

i think what you are meaning to argue is that history majors don't learn a specific skill set. but there are very few majors that do, and there are very few jobs that require a skill set learned from college.

my point is this, learning a skill set that you don't care about, just for the sake of getting a starting position will not end well. you'll be outperformed by your peers your entire career.