• The KillerFrogs

TCU and B10?

Opintel

Moderators
I was in the toilet area across from the Man Cave...and it hit me.

How attractive would the Horned Frogs be to those teams from the frozen tundra? Look at the recent sports records, the dedication of the fans, and the recruiting area. Easy to get to, very pleasant for the visiting fans. A genuine national brand and...HypnoFrog. Obey.

Could be the Screwdrivers (Tito's), or all those blows to my head in the past...but, it felt real. Now that would be interesting.

A real screw you to the SEC. Possible? Why/why not.

EVOfrogMR

Well, Nebraska is no longer AAU and if he’s really the luck 10,000,000th person, shouldn’t that come with a prize? Never used but trade marked Big 16 merch perhaps.

Deep Purple

Ummm TCU is not AAU nor even research heavy like all Big 10 schools and the Big 10 Academic Alliance.
TCU is classified as a Doctoral Institution/High Research Activity (R2) in the Carnegie Classification. AAU schools are classified as Doctoral Institution/Very High Research Activity (R1).

Eight

How attractive would the Horned Frogs be to those teams from the frozen tundra? Look at the recent sports records, the dedication of the fans, and the recruiting area. Easy to get to, very pleasant for the visiting fans. A genuine national brand and...HypnoFrog. Obey.

Could be the Screwdrivers (Tito's), or all those blows to my head in the past...but, it felt real. Now that would be interesting.

well first, certain big 10 schools already recruit the metroplex quite well and which was the last big 10 teams to be added were down so because of how well there athletic programs were doing?

brand and/or markets

If you get a choice, choose the Tito's over the blows to the head........

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
TCU means Teachers Credit Union up here. There is even a TCU Amphitheater for concerts. Drove me nuts when we moved here. From talking with people in BIG country I’m not sure we are a blip on their radar. And when we are, it’s always like they are the giants and we are the dwarfs…until we whoop one their teams. Then it gets really fun to be here!

hfhmilkman

I made a case on another thread on TV market. The greater Ft Worth metroplex plus the Dallas rump is a huge TV market probably saturated with Big10 alum. The Big10 Network would instantly enrich the TCU athletic department with riches greater than the gold of El Dorado. So what if TCU is not AAU or does not have enough research? That era is over. The other nice thing is not only are Big10 alum already there, they travel very well. Get Iowa in a home game, and you will get the Iowa RV caravan. And those fans are the friendliest and most gracious you will find. And there is nothing crazier than bad weather football. I am looking forward to those USC/UCLA teams coming up north when the gales of November start blowing.

But it should only be considered if that is in the interests of the fans. If the Big12 works, don't break it.

Endless Purple

TCU is classified as a Doctoral Institution/High Research Activity (R2) in the Carnegie Classification. AAU schools are classified as Doctoral Institution/Very High Research Activity (R1).
So you are saying:
"TCU is not AAU nor even research heavy like all Big 10 schools and the Big 10 Academic Alliance"

Frog Attack II

Crazy timing here... Met a Stanford board member last week during some travels... Basic pleasantry stuff, but we did talk a bit about conference realignment. He literally stated that he would not be shocked at all if the Big 10 wasn't looking at TCU for the DFW market $'s and recruiting for all sports.... Plus very easy to get to.

Take from that what you will, but it was interesting to hear that hot take. He thought PAC would stay together for now in some form.

Eight

Crazy timing here... Met a Stanford board member last week during some travels... Basic pleasantry stuff, but we did talk a bit about conference realignment. He literally stated that he would not be shocked at all if the Big 10 wasn't looking at TCU for the DFW market $'s and recruiting for all sports.... Plus very easy to get to.

Take from that what you will, but it was interesting to hear that hot take. He thought PAC would stay together for now in some form.

once again, ohio state and michigan recruit whomever they want out of texas, nebraska has gone heavy in texas, heck notre dame has recruited texas well recently without having to buy "access" by adding tcu

the teams that continually recruit the top classes do so with class that are national and the school and the conference brands has continually shown to be enough to overcome any lack of regional presence

the question to me seems to be does the tcu brand have enough value to truly bring revenue to the big 10 or would adding tcu dilute the share of the other members

Endless Purple

A poster suggested they thought TCU's research credentials were inadequate. I am stating, if so, it should not matter.
I was looking at Deeps reply, but in regards to the Big 10, the research dollars do matter. They have a whole alliance based around their academic research. I posted the link above. TCU at around $15 million does not come close to their schools where several are over $1 billion annually in research. Have to remember that it is not athletic directors voting on conference alignment but presidents and boards, and those in the Big 10 consider both memberships.