• The KillerFrogs

Substitution Rule.....

PurplFrawg

Administrator
After what we have seen year after year with Big 12 officiating, it might be the most remarkable aspect of that sequence that the officials actually knew the rule and were able to implement it in the moment.
Any chance our staff told the head official what we were going to do ahead of time, and referenced the rule? The white hat was sure waving off the official standing by the ball almost immediately.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The spike on second down was one I questioned and was surprised at, but perhaps the coaches needed it there to set up what they wanted. Running on second and third downs and then spiking to bring in the FG unit would have been preferred IMO.

Pharm Frog

The spike on second down was one I questioned and was surprised at, but perhaps the coaches needed it there to set up what they wanted. Running on second and third downs and then spiking to bring in the FG unit would have been preferred IMO.
Your thought was what I was expecting.

westoverhillbilly

Dykes has made unconventional decisions here that have worked out including not spiking the ball here and 4th down non-conversions instead of kicking field goals in earlier games. It's a matter of time until one costs us a game, but hopefully Sonny will have built up some credit by then. All is good for now.

I've watched the last two series at least 50 times.

Great tackle by Cooper.

Their receiver was wide open.

Max's run is just awesome.

Savion/Taye both with great catches.

The offensive line not jumping on that kick was so scheissing cool.

That kick was good the entire way. So frikin clutch.
I thought Savion got a first down at the time and I still think that after seeing it several times. Rolled over the defender before touching.

Armadillo

CSD said they practice it. MMFD said they practice that play. Even Kell said they practice that play every Thursday.

Although CSD did say in the post game press conference that there’s a lot that can go wrong during the execution of that play. But we ran it to perfection.

PurpleBlood87

So, what if you do this in this end of the half or game situation: Run your field goal team in, all except one person who steps on the field just before the snap. Since that person is coming in late, he would probably be totally uncovered. Snap the ball to the kicker who throws an easy pass to the uncovered player, streaking down the field, unmolested, to the end zone. Practice it every Thursday.

He has to make sure he is inside the numbers. He can just step in from the sideline and stop.

PurpleBlood87

It is interesting that they spiked the ball on the previous play to set that whole sequence up.

They probably should have run the ball to the middle of the field on second down then spiked the ball. But spiking the ball with little time left also puts you in danger of a false start that would cause a 10 second run off.

Rex Kramer

So, what if you do this in this end of the half or game situation: Run your field goal team in, all except one person who steps on the field just before the snap. Since that person is coming in late, he would probably be totally uncovered. Snap the ball to the kicker who throws an easy pass to the uncovered player, streaking down the field, unmolested, to the end zone. Practice it every Thursday.
Georgia Tech did something to this effect in 2009 with Demaryius Thomas. The difference was that when the offense left the field, he never officially did. Just lingered right next to the sidelines, so technically he wasn’t substituted for. It was genius execution, not unlike us yesterday. Not sure if any rules have changed since then to make this harder.

Latest posts