• The KillerFrogs

"Students accused could get acquittals because of the shoddy police work" says attorney

Good job FWPD. Good job TCUPD.

Six months. Twenty arrests. Less than a pound.

--

FORT WORTH -- The final named suspect in a drug investigation that has resulted in the arrest of 15 TCU students turned himself in to jail on Friday.

Hunter McLaughlin, 24, was released from the Tarrant County jail after posting a $7,500 bond. McGlaughlin is accused of four counts of delivery of marijuana from a quarter ounce to five pounds.

Also, the attorney representing the "real Austin Carpenter" accused in the drug sting that led to the arrest of 15 TCU students earlier this week said Fort Worth police did such a bad job with the original warrant they may never be able to pursue his client.

He also suggested that the students accused could get acquittals because of the shoddy police work.

"In the event that the authorities in Tarrant County decide to pursue charges against my client, I look forward to a vigorous cross examination of the officer who swore under oath that he dealt with a different Austin Carpenter than my client," attorney Joe Wells said in an emailed statement.

http://www.star-tele...-carpenter.html

FrogSwagSurfin

This whole thing is a mess, it was made out to be such a big deal. The school and the news made the students out to be the Zetas or Cali Cartels. I think a lot of the kids are going to get acquitted if the same officer that identified Austin Carpenter also identified them, the officer grossly accused the wrong person and unfortunately for the FWPD and TCU his grandfather invented the color blue. A great lawyer will turn this whole thing upside down and the Carpenters probably hired a great lawyer

mrnicefrog

So if they aren't convicted of anything, can they be readmitted to TCU? This could be bad for TCU. They just expelled 17 kids for nothing

BUGrad95

They could certainly appeal the school's decision. However, for the athletes, that's strictly up to CGP. Seeing as how a couple of those arrested slandered the football team, intentionally or not, they would likely be outcasts and hurt team chemistry. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

BABYFACE

The players are gone from the team even if acquited. I don't see that changing, IMO. The university might allow their return but that would be expensive without a scholly. The arrested players throwing their teammates under the bus is inexcusable.

10 Key Frog

So if they aren't convicted of anything, can they be readmitted to TCU? This could be bad for TCU. They just expelled 17 kids for nothing

From what I've read they haven't been expelled yet, simply seperated until its settled, then it's either expelled or re-aitted based on results.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
There is one major screw up but I don't see them kicking out the other cases as long as they are not tied to the mistaken ID case.

The players and students screwed up. They are going to have to deal with it or hope mom and dad can pony up enough money to get them out of it.

ChrisHulce

TopFrog said:
There is one major screw up but I don't see them kicking out the other cases as long as they are not tied to the mistaken ID case.

The players and students screwed up. They are going to have to deal with it or hope mom and dad can pony up enough money to get them out of it.

You might be right Top, not really arguing with you, but wouldn't it be a waste of more tax payer money to pursue the other cases? You get the officer on the stand, have him admit he misidentified one suspect, ask if he could have done the same with your client .... it isn't to much of a stretch to see reasonable doubt setting in.

Goo

They could certainly appeal the school's decision. However, for the athletes, that's strictly up to CGP. Seeing as how a couple of those arrested slandered the football team, intentionally or not, they would likely be outcasts and hurt team chemistry. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If you believe officers claim about their comment re team
IMO, once officer is known liar under oath he can't be trusted about anything
With Brock a team leader and only five kids smoked pot in past month, really don't believe that Brock even said 86 will fail
He prob said 6-8 and the officer went with 86 ala Austin driving Pam Carpenters car must be Austin Carpenter

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
If you believe officers claim about their comment re team
IMO, once officer is known liar under oath he can't be trusted about anything
With Brock a team leader and only five kids smoked pot in past month, really don't believe that Brock even said 86 will fail
He prob said 6-8 and the officer went with 86 ala Austin driving Pam Carpenters car must be Austin Carpenter
His flippant remark has nothing to do with whether he sold pot to an undercover operative, which was possibly recorded. Get over that part of it.

2314@work

Contributor
The players are gone from the team even if acquited. I don't see that changing, IMO. The university might allow their return but that would be expensive without a scholly. The arrested players throwing their teammates under the bus is inexcusable.
See, people, it is just not ME who says same. Thanks, Face.