• The KillerFrogs

Sporting News: TCU's Dalton, Virginia Tech's Taylor worth late-round picks

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Sporting News: TCU's Dalton, Virginia Tech's Taylor worth late-round picks

Sporting News draft expert Russ Lande and his team of former NFL scouts analyze the best undersized quarterbacks (under 6-2) for the 2011 NFL draft:

1. Andy Dalton, TCU. Dalton (6-1 7/8, 215) is an athletic, well-built QB who has consistently made big plays with his arm and legs in TCU's wide-open offense. He has a strong arm and has shown the ability to get rid of the ball quickly and throw well on the move. His footwork is raw, and it often leads to wildly inconsistent accuracy. He has a bad habit of focusing on his primary receiver, which allows defenders to make plays on the ball too often. Dalton is a raw but talented QB prospect who is worth a late-round pick because of his physical talent. But he is a long way from being more than a third QB in the NFL. Projection: Sixth or seventh round ...

Hump

"He has a bad habit of focusing on his primary receiver, which allows defenders to make plays on the ball too often."

IMO, if AD has an achilles heel, this would be it.

Burner1

Tier 1
"His footwork is raw, and it often leads to wildly inconsistent accuracy. He has a bad habit of focusing on his primary receiver, which allows defenders to make plays on the ball too often."

If this is true of a fifth-year senior, I think you have to fault our quarterback coaches.

frogs001

I have noticed a trend when the frogs get in a 3rd and 5-8 yard range. It seems like everytime Dalton keeps the ball and runs for the first down. Granted he gets the first down 99% of the time but I am worried it has become too obvious. I know teams realize this and in week 7 they still can't seem to stop Dalton. How long before teams start stacking the box and stopping the QB keeper on these type downs? Has worked so far and I would not want any other QB in that situation but Dalton, but to me it only seems like a matter of time before they do. Anyone else concerned about this? Or am I just chicken little?

Getting a QB drafted at all would be a milestone for this program. Remember how long after the Pattrick Batteaux era we were still portrayed in the media as an "option" team? Getting a QB drafted would be a big deal, IMO ...

I have noticed a trend when the frogs get in a 3rd and 5-8 yard range. It seems like everytime Dalton keeps the ball and runs for the first down. Granted he gets the first down 99% of the time but I am worried it has become too obvious. I know teams realize this and in week 7 they still can't seem to stop Dalton. How long before teams start stacking the box and stopping the QB keeper on these type downs? Has worked so far and I would not want any other QB in that situation but Dalton, but to me it only seems like a matter of time before they do. Anyone else concerned about this? Or am I just chicken little?

Like BYU tried to do on 4th and 3?

It is a game of chess stack the box and risk a pass. Don't do it and risk the qb keeper

West Coast Johnny

Dalton is a master of the zone read play where he puts the ball in the stomach of the running back and then reacts to the defensive end. If the end goes for the fake and crashes towrads the middle of the line of scrimage, Andy pulls the ball back and runs toward the hole vacated by the undeciplined D-End. If the D-end stays home and maintains his gap coverage, the middle of the line of scrimage is soft and Andy gives the ball to the running back.

I love Andy, but the cards are a bit stacked against him at the next level. His strengths are piloting an option running attack and running the ball down field. These strengths aren't that valued in the NFL. He's a good, but not great downfield passer. And I can't imagine him hook-sliding - ever. I hope he gets a chance to make an NFL team as a back-up first and then see what happens.

Trelvis

"His footwork is raw, and it often leads to wildly inconsistent accuracy. He has a bad habit of focusing on his primary receiver, which allows defenders to make plays on the ball too often."

If this is true of a fifth-year senior, I think you have to fault our quarterback coaches.

Is it our QB's coach job to win games or get Dalton NFL ready? Were you critical of Florida's coaches for letting Tebow have a weird throwing style?

Its stupid to start messing with your senior QB who has pretty much done nothing but win games for the school.

We still are an option team.

We run some option, but we are not an option team the way we were in the late 90's or the way an Air Force team is. The traditional down-the-line double option (or the famed short-side option) is a pretty small proportion of our running game and Andy's trademark zone-read option stuff is almost more of a play-action offshoot than a traditional option attack. For the most part, we run a pretty traditional multi-set offense ...