• The KillerFrogs

Splitting the Big East and Nova

mtmedlin

Theres been alot of talk about why we should or should not add Nova... also talk about a split. This will hopefully give some insight into the politics of the BE

The BE is comprised of 16 members (soon to be 17) but there are "founding members" and then the others. The BE recognizes Georgetown, Providence, Nova, ST Johns, Seton Hall, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, and Uconn. If your doing the counting, Yes there are 5 basketball schools and 4 football. Now the questions is why is that important.

I didnt understand it fully at first but we have an excellent BE resource at USFnation.com by the name of Bullpride and he pointed out that the Name and Rights are owned by the original members.

I'll paste his comments below and maybe this will help people understand:

One thing everyone needs to remember is that people throw around this word 'split' a bit to loosely. The big issues that no one is realizing when they throw around the word 'split' is as follows:
1. The NCAA requires a new conference to be formed for like 3 years as a provisional conference before allowing for bowl tie-ins, and tourney tie-ins. They could waive but that would take some effort.
2. The BCS auto-bid, AND monetary payments, are tied directly to the Big East Conference. If the football schools were to leave theoretically the BCS bid and the direct deposit from BCS stays. The BCS is much more difficult to change, and would require a special vote-- who here would want to beg all the big schools to allow us to keep our auto-bid?
3. The NCAA units...NCAA units is everytime a school (excluding football) makes a post-season NCAA Tourney the NCAA awards that conference a 'unit' and places a monetary value on it. As a team advances the unit value increases and the NCAA awards more. NCAA units are calculated based on a 5 or 7 year average so the big 7 couldn't automatically split out and start 'earning' units. They can be transfered conference to conference, but earning is averaged over a 7 year period. For a conference and schools like the BE schools who do amazingly well in men's and women's hoops, and ok in baseball and great in lacrosse this is important since all are positive earners.
4. The new television contract would be tied to the BE, and not the new conference.
5. The Big East name and rights are actually owned by the remaining original members. I believe I read the Big East recognizes Gtown, Providence, Nova, Sjohn, Seton Hall, Syracuse, RU, Pitt, and Uconn. Notice something strange? Yes, the non-football schools hold a majority, however if Nova moved up in football it would flip.

I also understand that many do not like the idea of 9 conference games but we are negotiating a new tv contract. at present we have 9 teams and can offer them 36 conference games, whereas with 10 teams we can offer them 45. 25% more games is worth money, so I seriously doubt that the addition will dilute the revenue, and the ability to flip a founding member into voting with football would allow the football programs to run the conference...for example, telling Depaul, Seton Hall and Providence to look for a new conference, or to add a new team if we wish.

If this is already known, I apologize but there seems to be several posts that have shown a lack of knowledge of the internal workings of the BE and when I saw Bullprides post, I really felt that maybe it would shed new light on the direction and reasoning behind the moves being made.

Limey Frog

Big East type info.

1. That's good info. I certainly didn't know all of that, though some of it I had assumed as much. Naturally any seceding members wouldn't have legal rights to the conference name. [Although, the Civil War might have been more fun if the Confederacy had adopted the name 'the United States of America'!] There seem to be a lot of factors pointing toward the BE staying together. Though people have talked about its imminent rendering since virtually the inception of league football play that has not happened yet. Seems logical to think that there are good reasons for them having stayed together.

2. I don't understand how 25% more games increases the value of the league if 10 of those games involve a still-born Villanova program. But then, Fox just paid eleventy billion dollars to televise Iowa State vs. Kansas in football on channel 819. So what the heck do I know?

3. It's best not to distinguish the parts of posts which contain what you deem to be the most interesting and pertinent information by using a different color for the text. This tactic is favored by a notorious troll with many handles known as teabag. If it becomes suspected that you are a manifestation of teabag few members will open any thread you start. Though some will, for reasons I am unable to discover.

[Perhaps we could pin a thread listing all of teabag's known handles. We have threads pinned on everything else. What to do if an oxygen mask drops down in front of you while you're reading the site etc.]

mtmedlin

I actually changed the color because that section t is a quote from a poster from another forum by the name of Bullpride. It was to make certain that people knew I was quoting and not taking his information and acting as if it was mine.

smredd

Thanks for the information. I was confused as to why the BE was pushing NOVA so hard when they didn't offer anything in terms of football.

asleep003

One thing everyone needs to remember is that people throw around this word 'split' a bit to loosely. The big issues that no one is realizing when they throw around the word 'split' is as follows:
1. The NCAA requires a new conference to be formed for like 3 years as a provisional conference before allowing for bowl tie-ins, and tourney tie-ins.
Is it for 3 years... or "for like 3 years " ...

They could waive but that would take some effort.
You don't really think if Pitt/Syracuse/TCU/WV/ UConn/Louiville/Cinci/USF/Rutgers/ etc etc come asking ... they're not most probably getting that waiver.?.

2. The BCS auto-bid, AND monetary payments, are tied directly to the Big East Conference. If the football schools were to leave theoretically the BCS bid and the direct deposit from BCS stays. The BCS is much more difficult to change, and would require a special vote-- who here would want to beg all the big schools to allow us to keep our auto-bid?
They have to accept it, as the BCS has to have a majority(cannot be a monitority) of the D1 teams in it's membership to avoid legalities... or they could take C-USA in our
place.?. so that it remains that majority the BCS requires.#*&!^?*.

3. The NCAA units...NCAA units is everytime a school (excluding football) makes a post-season NCAA Tourney the NCAA awards that conference a 'unit' and places a monetary value on it. As a team advances the unit value increases and the NCAA awards more. NCAA units are calculated based on a 5 or 7 year average so the big 7 couldn't automatically split out and start 'earning' units. They can be transfered conference to conference, but earning is averaged over a 7 year period. For a conference and schools like the BE schools who do amazingly well in men's and women's hoops, and ok in baseball and great in lacrosse this is important since all are positive earners.
These 9/10/11 schools will have enough clout in FB and BB to have a waiver/assistance, plus the backing of other conferences who view the BE as a cluster _ _ _
_!

4. The new television contract would be tied to the BE, and not the new conference.
Contract is partially based on 8 to 10 football schools and if those schools leave... contracts are rewritten/negotiated as the BE can no longer fullfill it's requirement.

5. The Big East name and rights are actually owned by the remaining original members. I believe I read the Big East recognizes Gtown, Providence, Nova, Sjohn, Seton Hall, Syracuse, RU, Pitt, and Uconn. Notice something strange? Yes, the non-football schools hold a majority, however if Nova moved up in football it would flip.
Believe the FB schools(who do want to leave) are not hung up on the BE name and can come up with ie.... B-9, B-11, Big Athletic Conference or whatever.

quote]

This is not to say the split would be easy... but very managable over a 1 to 2 year period. Cheers !

leofrog

I would say that this poster sounds like he has some inside info, but there are a couple items:

1) Why is Rutgers is included as a founding member, when they didn't join until a decade later, with Miami, Virginia Tech, BC, and West Virginia. If Rutgers is a "founding" member, why isn't West Virginia?

2) Why would the Big East be tied into the BCS if the football members leave, since they wouldn't have football? I think the contract probably states that it must be a FBS football conference.

3) You are right about the units, but if the majority of the schools want to leave, I think they would have a right to take most of the units.

4) I think most TV contracts now have a clause that they can re-open negotiations if the status of the conference changes.

WVUFan

Rutgers is not considered a founding member of the BE they declined and invitation at the start

Quote from WIKI
"The Big East was founded in 1979 when Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, and Syracuse invited Seton Hall, Rutgers, Connecticut, Holy Cross, and Boston College to form a conference primarily focused on basketball, with Rutgers and Holy Cross declining to join.[sup][4][/sup] Villanova joined a year later in 1980 and Pittsburgh joined in 1982. In 1985, Penn State applied for membership, but was rejected, with only five schools in favor (Penn State needed six out of eight). It was long rumored that Syracuse cast the deciding vote against Penn State, but Mike Tranghese confirmed that this was not the case and that Syracuse had, in fact, voted for Penn State's inclusion.[sup][5]

[/sup]About a decade after the conference's inception, Big East members decided to become a major football conference and thus added five schools including four-time champion Miami, Temple, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and Rutgers. Penn State joined the Big Ten Conference. The inaugural Big East football season launched in 1991.[sup][6][/sup][sup][7][/sup] West Virginia and Rutgers were football-only members until 1995, Virginia Tech was a football-only member until 2001, with Temple remaining a football-only member until 2004, after failing to attract enough consistent fan support. The Big East offered Notre Dame a non-football membership effective 1995. This led to an unusual conference structure with some schools competing in Division I basketball only.[sup]"

Link
[/sup]
[sup]

in fact if you go to the bottom of the page it shows a time line when team joined and left. the only two founding schools that are FB members are Uconn and Syracuse
[/sup]

HG73

I'd be willling to bet that if a TV network put together a huge$$ bid that said the football schools need to split with the basketball schools then that would happen the next year and everything would fall into place, whether Seton Hall is a founding member or not.

BABYFACE

I'd be willling to bet that if a TV network put together a huge$$ bid that said the football schools need to split with the basketball schools then that would happen the next year and everything would fall into place, whether Seton Hall is a founding member or not.

This is what I think.

mtmedlin

To correct the post... It is a 5 - 3 split for the founders. Switching 1 team makes it a tie, and would end up going to the overall members, which with TCU it would end up being 10 - 7.

I have a bad feeling were going to get solid money and nothing is changing other then maybe Nova coming in.... Really would like to see at least Depaul go...Seton Hall too!

WVUFan

No Pitt is not considered a founder either.

There are 7 founding memebrs,

Boston College
Connecticut
Georgetown
Syracuse
St. Johns
Providence
Seton Hall

It would be a 4:3 but BC left so its a 4:2

Nova came two year after and Pitt came three years after thus not founding memebrs

mtmedlin

No Pitt is not considered a founder either.

There are 7 founding memebrs,

Boston College
Connecticut
Georgetown
Syracuse
St. Johns
Providence
Seton Hall

It would be a 4:3 but BC left so its a 4:2

Nova came two year after and Pitt came three years after thus not founding memebrs

I was told that when the original charter was amended for their inclusion, that they were put in as charter members and are included in that vote. Even if that is not true and your assertion is, then the premise is still the same with it being a 3 : 3 tie and it going to all members, in which Football would win 10 - 7.
I am trying to find it but I also read that a new member does not have voting right for 4 years after entry. This would be another reason to add Nova, since TCU wouldnt be eligible to vote till 2016. If Nova moves up, Football would still control with a 9-7 vote instead of the deadlock 8-8 we have been dealing with for the past 6 years.

WVUFan

This is true, but were does it stated that TCU does not have voting rights for x number of years?

Out side of that I do not know if the "Majority" wins in BE voting. I know that the ACC you need to have 100% of the votes to join in the past and now I think its 80%
In the BE you needed to get 2/3 vote for a new member to join but I dont know if that is still viable.

mtmedlin

Not to mention all the other Roundball only schools too.... Cheers !

I very much want to keep Notre Dame, Villanova, Georgetown and St Johns. They ADD value to the contract. I would dare say that the broadcasting rights to Notre Dames non-football sports is probably more valuable then any BE teams football rights. Were talking about a conference that based on basketball strength alone will get $5 - $7 million a year...JUST for basketball. Thats nearly 5 times what TCU got for all sports in the MWC and considering that basketball isnt exactly your strength (or USFs) to get that kind of paycheck is very nice. We sent 11 teams to the NCAA tourney. If you get rid of all "roundballers" then you eliminate 5 of the ones we sent. I am sorry but why through out value.

Big Frog II

Rutgers is not considered a founding member of the BE they declined and invitation at the start

Quote from WIKI
"The Big East was founded in 1979 when Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, and Syracuse invited Seton Hall, Rutgers, Connecticut, Holy Cross, and Boston College to form a conference primarily focused on basketball, with Rutgers and Holy Cross declining to join.[sup][4][/sup] Villanova joined a year later in 1980 and Pittsburgh joined in 1982. In 1985, Penn State applied for membership, but was rejected, with only five schools in favor (Penn State needed six out of eight). It was long rumored that Syracuse cast the deciding vote against Penn State, but Mike Tranghese confirmed that this was not the case and that Syracuse had, in fact, voted for Penn State's inclusion.[sup][5]

[/sup]About a decade after the conference's inception, Big East members decided to become a major football conference and thus added five schools including four-time champion Miami, Temple, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and Rutgers. Penn State joined the Big Ten Conference. The inaugural Big East football season launched in 1991.[sup][6][/sup][sup][7][/sup] West Virginia and Rutgers were football-only members until 1995, Virginia Tech was a football-only member until 2001, with Temple remaining a football-only member until 2004, after failing to attract enough consistent fan support. The Big East offered Notre Dame a non-football membership effective 1995. This led to an unusual conference structure with some schools competing in Division I basketball only.[sup]"

Link
[/sup]
[sup]

in fact if you go to the bottom of the page it shows a time line when team joined and left. the only two founding schools that are FB members are Uconn and Syracuse
[/sup]
They voted against Penn State????????????? What were they thinking?

mtmedlin

This is true, but were does it stated that TCU does not have voting rights for x number of years?

Out side of that I do not know if the "Majority" wins in BE voting. I know that the ACC you need to have 100% of the votes to join in the past and now I think its 80%
In the BE you needed to get 2/3 vote for a new member to join but I dont know if that is still viable.

Ok, so I decided to go directly to hte source and read...very long...very dry. Not light late night reading at all. It looks like the "TCU not having a vote for 4 years" is a myth. I cant find it anywhere. I have read it several places but nowhere on the Big East site does it mention it. It does say that a 75% vote is required to adopt a motion, so I am guessing that it covers membership BUT what I did notice is that it said that only the sports that are involved would vote.
"On Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) matters, the Conference’s position will be determined by a vote of the
eight BIG EAST institutions that are members of The BIG EAST Football Conference and Notre Dame (nine total votes)."
There has to be some sort of provision somewhere about membership. I would guess that this rule only applies to internal football issues but if it doesnt, it would mean that only football members vote on football issues and as long an invitation was for football only, we could do what we want.