• The KillerFrogs

sooo obvious

Gfrog

Lone Frog said:

Yeah. Wouldn't have minded flipping LSU and SELA on the schedule to give the guys a chance to knock the rust off.

But it's what it is. On to the next.

Eh, if you flip the games though I think you run the risk of completely ignoring your week one opponent because you know you have to face LSU the week after. It seems like those are the situations where people are getting beaten by FBS schools. I can't prove any of that, but its a thought. I will say I loved watching that game. Tough opponent, tough loss, but it sure beats looking like clowns playing New Mexico State if only for a half.

TechAdvisor

jack the weed said:
I know what Tech has now. You can paint that schedule any way you please and there are only 3 or 4 wins in the mix, period.
 I think your hate for Tech is blinding all rationality.  Tech didn't have a great game, but they played a lot better than ISU, KSU or WVU against better competition.  

Obvious Troll

TechAdvisor said:
I think your hate for Tech is blinding all rationality.  Tech didn't have a great game, but they played a lot better than ISU, KSU or WVU against better competition.
You have negative credibility. After you blatantly lied about Tech avoiding playing TCU and tried to pin it back on TCU, I lost all the respect I never had for you.

Go lie to someone else somewhere else.

Lone Frog

TechAdvisor said:

Didn't see ISU or KSU play, but judging off the results, I'm going to say you're right.

ftwfrog

TechAdvisor said:
Agreed. Tech will be middle if the pack Big 12. We can't take team lightly. However if we show up and take care of the ball we win by 2 touchdowns.

TechAdvisor

ftwfrog said:
Agreed. Tech will be middle if the pack Big 12. We can't take team lightly. However if we show up and take care of the ball we win by 2 touchdowns.
North Dakota State is a great FCS team, but I think SMU would beat them or at least give them a game.  SMU would definitely beat Northern Iowa and William & Mary.  ISU and WVU are going to be really bad this year. 

On paper, TCU should be favored and should win against Tech.  I've been to a lot of games in Lubbock and have seen a lot better teams go down in spotlight night games in Lubbock.  

I don't see either team winning by 2 touchdowns though.  We'll see.  

hindry said:
we start against a perennially ranked team..from the SEC

look at every other game yesterday

ranked teams vs. lone star league teams

why in the hell did we schedule lsu as an opener?

I think we played that game because each school got paid about $2 Million to play it.  The home and home was much less.

bouttmk

TechAdvisor said:
Started slow but overpowered SMU with better players. Wore them out in the heat with the tempo. And June Jones looked lost toward the end. There is only one person associated with Tech I can't stand and it's not you.

jack the frog

TechAdvisor said:

I am indifferent to TT. Do not like the trolls here but that is another matter.
I saw an offensive line with many problems and see 5 new starters in the secondary. What looks to be a terrible K ST might bring the win total to 5 or 6. We will see.

TechAdvisor

jack the weed said:

I am indifferent to TT. Do not like the trolls here but that is another matter.
I saw an offensive line with many problems and see 5 new starters in the secondary. What looks to be a terrible K ST might bring the win total to 5 or 6. We will see.
OL is a concern shared across the Red Raider program and fan base right now.  Especially since the starting RG went down with a high ankle sprain and I thought his replacement looked terrible.

Not really sure what you're referring to regarding the 5 new starters in the secondary.  The only new starter in the secondary is JJ Gaines.  Every other starter in the secondary has multiple starts under their belt due to all the injuries over the last two seasons.  Even most of the second string secondary has starts due to injury from previous years or from JUCO. 

jack the frog

TechAdvisor said:
OL is a concern shared across the Red Raider program and fan base right now.  Especially since the starting RG went down with a high ankle sprain and I thought his replacement looked terrible.

Not really sure what you're referring to regarding the 5 new starters in the secondary.  The only new starter in the secondary is JJ Gaines.  Every other starter in the secondary has multiple starts under their belt due to all the injuries over the last two seasons.  Even most of the second string secondary has starts due to injury from previous years or from JUCO. 

yea, should have said "lost 4 seniors, " not starters from the secondary.

How in the heck did Tubs leave ya'll with only 10 O lineman on scholarship? Was is negligence or did a bunch of folks quit or something?

I just see much lost experience in the secondary, combined with real O line problems and a freshman QB not delivering many wins. But again, what looks to be a weak Big 12 might help a lot.

BULongFellow

I agree that it's better to schedule a quality OOC opponent.  For BU, the Wofford game was fun to stretch things out in the first game and get some new guys some playing time, but it tells us nothing about our team.  As far as your loss to LSU and being critical with the decision to play LSU when everyone else played cupcakes, keep in mind that you guys scheduled LSU a very long time ago - well before joining the Big 12, even before the Big East episode.  In fact, I believe you scheduled it during your first year in the MWC.  Back then, TCU had to look for those kind of games to garner the respect that so many wouldn't give you for CUSA/MWC victories.  That said, I think even the loss to LSU got you some additional respect simply because it was a relatively close game.  At least, I think it is fair to say, you got more respect in that game than any other Big 12 team got in their first week win (or loss).

roddog

Banned
So first it's why did we schedule Lsu then in 10 days its going to be why in the world did we join a big boy conf. Will you guys ever be content?

TechAdvisor

jack the weed said:

yea, should have said "lost 4 seniors, " not starters from the secondary.

How in the heck did Tubs leave ya'll with only 10 O lineman on scholarship? Was is negligence or did a bunch of folks quit or something?

I just see much lost experience in the secondary, combined with real O line problems and a freshman QB not delivering many wins. But again, what looks to be a weak Big 12 might help a lot.
The secondary is actually fairly stacked with experience.  At some point all those injuries pay off and you finally get to play with some experience after suffering for years with backups due to all the injuries.  JJ Gaines is really the only new face in the secondary that is starting.  Every other starter has started at some point in their careers.  We do have a few new guys coming off the bench in the secondary.

Regarding OL recruiting.  Tubs shoulders part of the blame, but you have to also look back at Leach's recruiting.  Leach's recruits would be seniors right now.  Had he done a good job at recruiting OL we would have some Seniors stepping up right now.  As it is, we're having to play a bunch of sophomores and freshman that Tubs recruited.  The talent and depth is just not there at OL to put Tech in the elite Big 12 group.  

Just how it is.  This team, to no fault of it's own is a victim of two coaching transitions.  Kliff is going to have to recruit and build.  I've learned that there is no pity in football, you pick up and do the best with what you have or you get left behind.        

Texas Football

Lone Frog said:

Yeah. Wouldn't have minded flipping LSU and SELA on the schedule to give the guys a chance to knock the rust off.

But it's what it is. On to the next.
exactly this is the point of scheduling the easy team first. Texas' next two games are at BYU and then vs Ole Miss, both good OOC teams

Obvious Troll

WeAreTexas said:
exactly this is the point of scheduling the easy team first. Texas' next two games are at BYU and then vs Ole Miss, both good OOC teams
Thump them both. Soundly. Give them no measure of hope.

Texas Football

Obvious Troll said:
Thump them both. Soundly. Give them no measure of hope.

after watching BYU on saturday there offense is pretty horrific. Ole Miss will be a better test. Down with the mormons and the SEC! I was really pulling for yall saturday. I was also pulling for KState and Tech. A strong big12 is necessary. 

bouttmk

WeAreTexas said:
after watching BYU on saturday there offense is pretty horrific. Ole Miss will be a better test. Down with the mormons and the SEC! I was really pulling for yall saturday. I was also pulling for KState and Tech. A strong big12 is necessary.
Yep. I will never pull against a Big 12 team when they're playing outside the conference.

hindry

casey was a bundle of nerves.  had he played wofford it would give him chance to settle in, IMHO. a few reicevers needed competition play at a more relaxed pace. trial by fire is not acutally good skiills training.

i also don't like the big opens because a chance of injury in non-conference play.

also , why do we want to show our stuff to our competitors? answer, we don't. think tactically. let them show their stuff and take notes.

and finally, we will not be a zero loss team this year. might matter for NCG.  remember 2010 anybody?

Latest posts