• The KillerFrogs

Something Does Not Add Up

MadFrog

OK, if this started as JD wanting Gary to release Kill and Meacham for next season (and Gary said no), how did Kill end up as the "acting" coach? I don't think firing them would have changed JD's mind - Gary was gone and JD had no acceptable way to get Gary out once Gary would not agree to fire Kill and Meacham. I just wish TCU could have had some sort of "thank you Gary" celebration. That will never happen now.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
OK, if this started as JD wanting Gary to release Kill and Meacham for next season (and Gary said no), how did Kill end up as the "acting" coach? I don't think firing them would have changed JD's mind - Gary was gone and JD had no acceptable way to get Gary out once Gary would not agree to fire Kill and Meacham. I just wish TCU could have had some sort of "thank you Gary" celebration. That will never happen now.
Kill was going to finish out the year either way and be gone. Just so happens it will be as interim now.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I, too, would like a full and complete explanation and breakdown of all this.

HFrog1999

I guarantee we’ll have some sort of Thank You and Celebration of Patterson’s career at TCU. When is the question.

Fiscuits

I have no knowledge of what happened and do not care honestly, but in my view is very very simple.
A “decision” was made at some point this season by the BOT, JD and VBo that this was Gary’s last year. They had seen enough.

Because of numerous coaching vacancies opening up and knowing that Gary was gone at the end of this year regardless…from a business standpoint (and especially after the K State abortion) they couldn’t wait any longer. But they could also, not go after other coaches officially or unofficially before taking with Gary first. That would be the actual unprofessional, non loyal thing to do. And it would have been easier that way.

So they laid out his options and left the decision to him. This was his last year. They wanted him to stay the season and then on staff in another capacity. But they had to start looking for his replacement immediately.

Gary, in my opinion, did not get indignant….he saw his “hanging around” as detrimental to the program overall. And if TCU was moving on, it was best he get 100% out of the way. As stubborn as he is, he is also no dummy. He doesn’t want to tear down all he built on his way out the door.

With him gone and anyone as interim….TCU can openly look for new coaches. Kill is the only one of staff with HC experience. But they could have made Kenny HIll the HC and it wouldn’t have / won’t matter. Kill got the job by default. A showgirl could have been interim HC.

Gary’s entire current staff was/is on the phone this morning looking for new jobs. This season is essentially over. Everyone left is shooting out resumes all over the country and no longer recruiting for TCU.

Just the way this business is.

FrogAbroad

1635781675004.png

That, ultimately, is what we're seeing. The College Athletics Industry IS a business--increasingly so each year/season--and consequently there are frequently difficult, painful and "we-wish-we-had-a-better-option-but..." decisions to be made. I've been on both sides of the bargaining table during my career and have never seen any mission-critical decision make everyone completely happy. TCU's decision will leave some bruises, which will eventually fade away, and a few scars, which will likely linger as long as the scarred live, only gradually fading but still visible.

But...that's just the way this business, and life, is.

One Frog Nation

I have no knowledge of what happened and do not care honestly, but in my view is very very simple.
A “decision” was made at some point this season by the BOT, JD and VBo that this was Gary’s last year. They had seen enough.

Because of numerous coaching vacancies opening up and knowing that Gary was gone at the end of this year regardless…from a business standpoint (and especially after the K State abortion) they couldn’t wait any longer. But they could also, not go after other coaches officially or unofficially before taking with Gary first. That would be the actual unprofessional, non loyal thing to do. And it would have been easier that way.

So they laid out his options and left the decision to him. This was his last year. They wanted him to stay the season and then on staff in another capacity. But they had to start looking for his replacement immediately.

Gary, in my opinion, did not get indignant….he saw his “hanging around” as detrimental to the program overall. And if TCU was moving on, it was best he get 100% out of the way. As stubborn as he is, he is also no dummy. He doesn’t want to tear down all he built on his way out the door.

With him gone and anyone as interim….TCU can openly look for new coaches. Kill is the only one of staff with HC experience. But they could have made Kenny HIll the HC and it wouldn’t have / won’t matter. Kill got the job by default. A showgirl could have been interim HC.

Gary’s entire current staff was/is on the phone this morning looking for new jobs. This season is essentially over. Everyone left is shooting out resumes all over the country and no longer recruiting for TCU.

Just the way this business is.
I agree with you.

Ray Finkle

I guarantee we’ll have some sort of Thank You and Celebration of Patterson’s career at TCU. When is the question.
Time heals all wounds. Mangino did not have the most graceful exit from Kansas and there was a lot of resentment towards the university for years. He returned to a hero's welcome in Lawrence back in 2017 to be inducted into the hall of fame. I am certain GP will come back for events down the road. The dust needs to settle and he needs to personally reflect on what happened and how it's not personal, it was business. We will all forever be grateful for what he did for our school.

Last edited:

Fiscuits

View attachment 9957

That, ultimately, is what we're seeing. The College Athletics Industry IS a business--increasingly so each year/season--and consequently there are frequently difficult, painful and "we-wish-we-had-a-better-option-but..." decisions to be made. I've been on both sides of the bargaining table during my career and have never seen any mission-critical decision make everyone completely happy. TCU's decision will leave some bruises, which will eventually fade away, and a few scars, which will likely linger as long as the scarred live, only gradually fading but still visible.

But...that's just the way this business, and life, is.
At TCU...our fans have been spared the business side of college athletics for over two decades really. TCU's commitment to one person, in one sport (especially the bell cow ($) sport) literally does not happen anywhere. Only now at IOWA I guess. Nick Saban at Alabama, maybe (been there 14 years) but he's 70 years old.

TCU will have a new head coach, almost guaranteed, every four years going forward. We might as well get used to it. This is not a bad thing, or a good thing...it is just the way "it is" at EVERY school our size and stature. The odds are we will have coaching turnover every four years.

The current coach will fail and will be replaced...or succeed and move up the ladder. It is why a cardinal sin of any athletic department is to let what happened with Gary, happen....the coach gets bigger than the program itself. It can not ever happen again.

...and it is also why a good AD will require their head coach to have a good assistant "head coach" to step in when numero uno leaves. Keeps the program rolling down the track......CDC and JD did not require that of GP...and here we are.

East Coast

Tier 1
Time heals all wounds. Mangino did not have the most graceful exit from Kansas and there was a lot of resentment towards the university for years. He returned to a hero's welcome in Lawrence back in 2017 to be inducted into the hall of fame. I am certain GP will come back for events down the road. The dust needs to settle and he needs to personally reflect on what happened and how it's not personal, it was business. We will all forever be grateful for what he did for our school.
A year or two after VBo retires..

Latest posts