• The KillerFrogs

SMU fans

GAPony

For me, it's complicated because Georgia is my home state.

That being said, as an SMU fan, I'm behind you guys 110%. A few reasons, 1) It's great for the entire DFW area, and 2) it hopefully shows our program and our university president of what could have been (and might still be accomplished in the future) if they actually gave a damn about the athletics program, and 3) I always love when a program comes along and upsets the entire applecart. Plus, after you guys were absolutely hosed in 2009 - 2010, you deserve this one.

froginaustin

Probably Texas. Supposedly CDC was close to a deal and announcing Dykes when some boosters stepped in who wanted Sark.

The tale that I was told by someone local (for me) that probably knows, is that CDC suggested to a group of insiders that actually were the deciders on UTx coaching, that they look at Dykes. He was told "no way" before there was anything close to a deal or announcement that Dykes would be brought in.

It'll be amazing if CDC is shown the door over the hires of Sark and Beard, but not out of the question.

dawg

I'm wondering how Zach Evans is feeling today. :)
Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF
This. I don't know anyone by that name.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
The tale that I was told by someone local (for me) that probably knows, is that CDC suggested to a group of insiders that actually were the deciders on UTx coaching, that they look at Dykes. He was told "no way" before there was anything close to a deal or announcement that Dykes would be brought in.

It'll be amazing if CDC is shown the door over the hires of Sark and Beard, but not out of the question.
If that is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, then there is no purpose for having an AD at UT except for ceremonial head chopping when things go wrong. Obviously a group of regents with the big cigars and the big wallets think they know everything. There’s no point in paying for an Athletic Director.

Eight

If that is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, then there is no purpose for having an AD at UT except for ceremonial head chopping when things go wrong. Obviously a group of regents with the big cigars and the big wallets think they know everything. There’s no point in paying for an Athletic Director.

you always need someone to handle the business end of things and as you said alums are not going to fire themselves so....

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

According to the Austin American-Statesman‘s Kirk Bohls, Dykes was Del Conte’s first choice when UT looked to replace Tom Herman after the 2020 season. “The deal was all but done,” Bohls reported, adding that “Del Conte and Dykes had in-depth discussions about everything from salary to the nitty-gritty of staff and an introductory press conference.”

Del Conte denied the report, but Bohls has a half century of credibility in reporting on all things UT football.

ECM

But you have to realize while SMU was good under Dykes, it lacked this-level talent. We had the talent (with some key additions like Ali), we just needed better coaching and new systems.
Yes and no? TCU on paper outrecruited SMU but when SMU won in 2019 and 2021 I didn't think we out-gimmicked or got lucky, we just had better players/scheme. When Dykes took over TCU I thought he was in for a rebuild, especially with Evans and your two stud DL transferring out (I wonder how they feel now?). It was no secret that Dykes was recruiting Mordecai to transfer over to TCU last offseason and Duggan wasn't even the starter week 1 and he ends up in NYC for the Hesiman ceremony? [ What the heck? ]

All of this is terrible. I don't know what deal ya'll made with the devil but I hope Georgia beats the absolute brakes off of you guys. But given what I've seen this year I wouldnt be surprised if ya'll win. Georgia has been good for some clunkers this year (Mizzou and Kentucky) and they're not invincible.

Go Dawgs WOOF WOOF