• The KillerFrogs

Signing Deadline Thread: Purke Is Done, Cron A Frog?

FROGDADDY

How did this whole (no homo) thing start? I see between you, houstonfrog and a few others?

Spoiled on pitching is true, then again our bats let us down last year. Hopefully this year they pick it up to help compensate for a transition into a new pitching era.

Cant believe we lost our #1, 2 and 3 starters, just crazy.

Which is why we're loading up on pitching in the current class.

cdsfrog

There actually was a reason to be a [Cowherd], and that reason is that you were so confident you were right, and implied anyone who thought the Nats might pay way over slot for him was a complete idiot because no 3rd round picks get that much.

Sure, most 3rd round picks don't get $4MM deals, we all knew that, but this situation was clearly unique and you wanted to look at it like Purke was just any old 3rd rounder. You know why most 3rd rounders don't get 1st round money? Because they are generally 3rd round talents, not 1st round talents. He dropped because he had health concerns and was still demanding 1st round money. The Nats clearly saw a chance to steal a 1st round talent in the 3rd and rolled the dice.

Think about it from the Nationals' perspective, why would they draft Purke in the 3rd round unless they were serious about paying him what he was asking for? Just felt like burning a pick? Of course not. Sure, it was possible that they wouldn't bwe able to reach an agreement, but if the Nats weren't serious about paying him at least close to what he wanted, they wouldn't have burned a pick on him.

Most 96th picks dont get 4 million? Try never but it happened now. Should have known that nats would break records again

He was drafted late with tons of problems, but they obviously saw enough potential to draft. I am happy for him. Sad I was wrong for selfish reasons, but honestly that kind of money has got to be extremely hard to turn down. I didnt think fungo was an idiot, just didnt respect random opinions with no facts. Fortunately he brought some.

As for the 3rd round pick, they would have lost nothing getting the pick back next year. Ultimately he signed and I was wrong, end of story.

cdsfrog

It's just something you write when you want to humorously clarify your original statement doesn't mean you're gay. It generally happens when you're talking about a male athlete and how great he looks or something. An example would be below....

"Did you see Reggie Bush run the 40 with no shirt on? His body is phenomenal (no homo)."

I don't specifically know who started it, but probably someone on a sports message board.

Not offended by it at all, just curious. Good stuff, thanks

FungoFrog

Tier 1
Right on it FROGDADDY... If one of Ferrell, Fairchild, Travers or Trieglaff come to campus in the fall, they are instantly in the weekend rotation discussion. They are all that good. It is a smaller, but top 10 talent class.

FungoFrog

Tier 1
Just to clarify, he didn't sign at the last second. The structure of the deal was agreed to in principle over the weekend, was signed Monday but held by the commish until the deadline because it was nuts.

cdsfrog

Just to clarify, he didn't sign at the last second. The structure of the deal was agreed to in principle over the weekend, was signed Monday but held by the commish until the deadline because it was nuts.

Thanks for clarification, guess you were right after him being basically a lock to sign if he got decent money.

So other than being dramatic, the commish holds the deal back to not influence or affect the other deals being signed?