• The KillerFrogs

Signing Day Thread

FrogLifeYo

This is just an observation, I don't have any "inside" knowledge but by the way this has developed, it would appear someone that is influential in the family tree has suggested patience. Look at all the cards laId out before you and then make a final decision.

If the above is somewhat close to what's going down, watch Texas & OU really come forward now, and make a significant push.

The later it gets in the night, the prettier the gals.

4th. down

Barlow may, and I say may, be better than Foster. Put another 12-15 pounds of muscle on him and he has the potential to be the 2nd. coming of LT. It's going to be a battle to keep him.

I don't believe Texas or OU will offer cash, but in lieu of that, maybe a nice summer job, guaranteed job upon graduation if he doesn't go pro., jobs for one or both of his parents. etc. a full scholarship to a sibling. I think the NCAA turns their head at these inducements and they flourish with offers to the top of the line recruits.

MTfrog5

I’m intrigued.
Ironic because Baylor mods saying that after the Baylor rivals broke a story on Wednesday saying Hookfin committed before he announcing, Texas went after him making sure he didn't sign. The mods are also saying they were hyping up the penalties that Baylor might be getting and throwing some really serious stuff that the NCAA probably won't do. Sounds like Texas negative recruits more than anyone.

Moose Stuff

Ironic because Baylor mods saying that after the Baylor rivals broke a story on Wednesday saying Hookfin committed before he announcing, Texas went after him making sure he didn't sign. The mods are also saying they were hyping up the penalties that Baylor might be getting and throwing some really serious stuff that the NCAA probably won't do. Sounds like Texas negative recruits more than anyone.

If I was gonna negative recruit Baylor that’s the same thing I would tell a kid.

CountryFrog

Ron’s scenario is certainly more likely..And Trying to recruit in the top 20 is a bit different than trying to recruit like Clemson..I’ve already said that’s silly.
You may be saying top 20 now, but I know how this works with sports fans. We get a couple 18/19 ranked classes and everyone says "why can't we get the top 15?" Then we get a 12 or 13 and it's "Why can't we get top 10?" Then we get a few top 10 and it's "why can't we be number 1?" Then we get the #1 class but only go 12-1 and lose in the CFP and it's "we should never lose a game with all this talent."

Just check out how Alabama fans act when they lose a single game or just win by less than 14 against a mid level type SEC team.

CountryFrog

Don’t forget about a plus 30 in turnovers and a top 5 kicker.
Yes we were really good and had really good players. I'm not sure how our team's creation was much different than a team like 2010 Auburn who had an unstoppable force transfer to them at QB and won a bunch of one score games. If you're not in the Alabama/Clemson/Ohio St stratosphere of talent then you're going to need some breaks along the way. And even those teams need some breaks to win it all, just not as many.

CountryFrog

Lots of people talking about the talent gap between TCU and OU. There certainly is one, but I don't think it's insurmountable. Unfortunately, I think the bigger gap between those two programs right now is the coaching. Riley owns GP at a level I never thought I'd see, and our offensive struggles the last two years have only exaggerated things. If Riley leaves for the NFL then I think we'll all of a sudden see that gap significantly shrink on the field.

We looked fairly comparable to Ohio St in that game even with our crappy offense and all the turnovers. If Bosa had been injured the game before us instead of in our game then maybe we beat them.

Moose Stuff

Lots of people talking about the talent gap between TCU and OU. There certainly is one, but I don't think it's insurmountable. Unfortunately, I think the bigger gap between those two programs right now is the coaching. Riley owns GP at a level I never thought I'd see, and our offensive struggles the last two years have only exaggerated things. If Riley leaves for the NFL then I think we'll all of a sudden see that gap significantly shrink on the field.

We looked fairly comparable to Ohio St in that game even with our crappy offense and all the turnovers. If Bosa had been injured the game before us instead of in our game then maybe we beat them.

Their defense played better in that game AFTER he got hurt.

MTfrog5

Hell I think he have a better chance with Bosa playing the entire game. Was weird watching, but it seemed like they played better on the DL as a group after he left.

FrogLifeYo

You may be saying top 20 now, but I know how this works with sports fans. We get a couple 18/19 ranked classes and everyone says "why can't we get the top 15?" Then we get a 12 or 13 and it's "Why can't we get top 10?" Then we get a few top 10 and it's "why can't we be number 1?" Then we get the #1 class but only go 12-1 and lose in the CFP and it's "we should never lose a game with all this talent."

Just check out how Alabama fans act when they lose a single game or just win by less than 14 against a mid level type SEC team.

Yes...It’s highly likely tht with successes on the field and successes on the recruiting trail expectations will raise way past the point of rational. That’s to be expected. I’m assuming your making the point that the fan base should be content with our place in the CFB world..I don’t disagree with that nor do I think it’s a bad thing to want to out punch our weight either..

CountryFrog

Hell I think he have a better chance with Bosa playing the entire game. Was weird watching, but it seemed like they played better on the DL as a group after he left.
I'm not sure about that, especially based on how they played the rest of the season without him. But, either way, just that one strip sack he had that turned into a TD was a huge impact play. Without that single play then the whole game may have been different.

CountryFrog

Yes...It’s highly likely tht with successes on the field and successes on the recruiting trail expectations will raise way past the point of rational. That’s to be expected. I’m assuming your making the point that the fan base should be content with our place in the CFB world..I don’t disagree with that nor do I think it’s a bad thing to want to out punch our weight either..
I think you're right on both accounts. Fans can only seem to look at deficiencies and areas that need to be improved. We have plenty of those, but we're also one of the most successful college football programs in the nation over the last 10 years, even with a few down years mixed in. I'm totally thrilled with where the program is personally.

I understand people who want it to be even better, and there's nothing wrong with that. I just am not sure how much better we can realistically be. Could we some day be a team that wins 10+ every single year with no "down years" like this one? It's certainly possible. But we have also shown the ability to be really good a lot of years (if not every year) with the way things are now.

No matter what, fans will always want more and better. Just look at our baseball program. 4 straight years to Omaha but there is endless bitching and moaning about them (by some people, not all) nearly every time they don't beat teams by 10 or more runs.

MTfrog5

I'm not sure about that, especially based on how they played the rest of the season without him. But, either way, just that one strip sack he had that turned into a TD was a huge impact play. Without that single play then the whole game may have been different.
Agreed which is why I say it was strange to watch. I just felt like they played better as a group rather than Bosa just speed rushing off the end. They played different coverages and twist after he left which I don’t think we were ready for since they didn’t do much of that with Bosa. The shovel pass pick 6 kills me worse than the sack just because SR read it earlier in the game and held the ball instead of forcing it.