• The KillerFrogs

Should the Big XII Expand?

Peacefrog

Degenerate
5c594dfe7aaeba296a61de983b465ffe.jpg

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Using the Big 10 equation adding two nothing football programs in Maryland and Rutgers, I don't see how adding two equally mediocre eastern side teams to assist WVU could hurt us.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
The Big 12 is not bringing DC and NY into an in-region setting for the rates for a network TV channel like the B1G did.

Yeah, I'm not sure this was accomplished by the Big 10 either. I'm guessing NY still goes with Norte Dame and D.C. still splits among UVA, Penn State, MD, WVU or more likely some winner like Clemson.

Zubaz

It's Thursday already? Time for our weekly Big 12 expansion discussion?

Yeah, I'm not sure this was accomplished by the Big 10 either. I'm guessing NY still goes with Norte Dame and D.C. still splits among UVA, Penn State, MD, WVU or more likely some winner like Clemson.
I believe the teams they took were both statistically #1 in those markets, though they aren't really college football hotbeds.

But that doesn't really matter. What they care about is getting cable clearances in those markets for the Big Ten network and increasing their revenue. Those teams did that, regardless of the bad football that they play. If there was a bad team that was #1 in a major market, the Big 12 should jump at that chance, but there really isn't. What we're left with as options are also-rans in major markets (UCF, USF, Cinci, SMU, Temple, UConn) or small markets (BYU, Boise, New Mexico). Those aren't good pickups.

Plus, teams would leave the ACC for the B1G. Nobody would leave the ACC for the Big 12 at this point, barring some major shifts in the landscape.

Endless Purple

It did work for them. Out of region only paid .10 to .15 cents per subscriber. Moving NY & DC to in network added roughly .70 cents per subscriber in those cities to BTN revenue. So $30-60mil per year.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I said it before and I'll say it again: Rice and New Mexico. "But, but, but... They don't bring anything to the BIGXII!" Au contraire! They bring one-two wins to every other Conference mate who plays them (with the exception of Rape U., of course). The SEC has beater schools, the B1G has beater schools, why not us?

"But nobody wants to split the pot!" It's not like these guys aren't desperate or anything. They'll sign anything we slide in front of them if it means they'll be in a by G-hod Big Boy Conference. 10 year gradual increases until they get full shares, starting at 10%? Why not! If it means Kansas might actually be Bowl Eligible, we'd all cash checks that would equal that payout, and they'd be giddy to take it.

Jet Set Frog

I said it before and I'll say it again: Rice and New Mexico. "But, but, but... They don't bring anything to the BIGXII!" Au contraire! They bring one-two wins to every other Conference mate who plays them (with the exception of Rape U., of course). The SEC has beater schools, the B1G has beater schools, why not us?

"But nobody wants to split the pot!" It's not like these guys aren't desperate or anything. They'll sign anything we slide in front of them if it means they'll be in a by G-hod Big Boy Conference. 10 year gradual increases until they get full shares, starting at 10%? Why not! If it means Kansas might actually be Bowl Eligible, we'd all cash checks that would equal that payout, and they'd be giddy to take it.

giphy.gif

Zubaz

1) Even the "beater" schools bring something to their conference: Namely eyeballs. Nobody cares about UNM football (I know, I live here), and nobody cares about Rice football (they're what, like the 5th most popular team in Houston at best). They bring neither competitiveness nor eyeballs.
2) There's a difference between established P5 powderpuffs and bringing a powderpuff in to your conference voluntarily. Illinois, Northwestern, Vandy, Wake Forest, Indiana, these teams might stink, but they're established and have always been there. As it stands right now there's only three schools that were NonAQ / G5 when the BCS was formed and are currently P5: Louisville, Utah, and TCU. All have proven why they belong. UNM and Rice would not. If you're going to bring bad football in, you better have a darn good reason to do it. The ACC did with Syracuse, the B1G did with Maryland and Rutgers, those three added to their revenue. The schools you mention would be a drain on our revenue.