• The KillerFrogs

Selection Sunday Thread

f_399

Syracuse and Arizona state both don't deserve to be in. I am sure their coaches will be pulling news clips reminding their players of that.

If we get past one of them, we will most likely have Michigan state... At their home.

Not an easy task but that's the big dance for you!

TCUdirtbag

They play each other to play us next.

Confuses me a bit, you would think those play in teams will go against the highest seed?

Isn’t it a big advantage to play a team that just played a couple of days prior?

Again... I am new to this tournament thing, maybe like most of us.

You would think the “worst 8” would play in the “First Four” in Dayton. But with 30+ automatic qualifiers nobody would watch 4 renditions of Texas Southern vs. the Metro Athletic Champ. So the First Four is formatted as follows: the “botttom 4” AQs face off for 2 of the 16 seeds. And then the “Last 4 in” from the at-large group play for 11/12 seeds. When you look at who is in the 13-16 seeds it makes some sense. But at the end of the day they did it for TV. People will watch Syracuse, UCLA, and ASU. So it ups the value of the First Four. (The NCAA would argue it treats the AQs and at-large teams the same by subjecting the “bottom 4” in each group to a play-in game.)

Sebastian S

Ok thanks clears it up a bit more.

This is the logic below?
#5 - Clemson is better off playing #12 New Mexico St as opposed to playing a play in team like ASU/Syracuse?

They are saying ASU/Syracuse is a harder matchup than New Mexico St even if they have a play in game?

Wexahu

NCAA women’s basketball lacks parity

The first three rounds are almost a complete waste of time. I don't know what can be done to fix it, but it's not very compelling at all until the final four. Even then it usually takes a massive upset to knock off UConn. Their average record is 36-1 over the past 10 years.

Sebastian S

The first three rounds are almost a complete waste of time. I don't know what can be done to fix it, but it's not very compelling at all until the final four. Even then it usually takes a massive upset to knock off UConn. Their average record is 36-1 over the past 10 years.

I college sports, if you find the right coach/management, the strong will keep getting stronger.

The top programs will always recruit the cream of the crop.

Not sure how you regulate or change that.

Wexahu

I college sports, if you find the right coach/management, the strong will keep getting stronger.

The top programs will always recruit the cream of the crop.

Not sure how you regulate or change that.

Reducing scholarships would be one way, but we know that'll never happen with a women's revenue producing sport. Women get 15 scholarships to go around, which is two more than the men. Doesn't seem like much, but that makes a difference and makes it easier for UConn to stockpile talent relative to a men's team.

Reduce football from 85 to 75 and you'd definitely hear the Alabamas and Ohio States of the world start bitching about it.

MTfrog5

Reducing scholarships would be one way, but we know that'll never happen with a women's revenue producing sport. Women get 15 scholarships to go around, which is two more than the men. Doesn't seem like much, but that makes a difference and makes it easier for UConn to stockpile talent relative to a men's team.

Reduce football from 85 to 75 and you'd definitely hear the Alabamas and Ohio States of the world start bitching about it.
Completely agree but like you said, we all know that won’t happen. Also makes the fact a 16 seed beat a 1 seed in the women’s tournament even more remarkable. It’s going to happen in the men’s tournament someday too

Wexahu

Completely agree but like you said, we all know that won’t happen. Also makes the fact a 16 seed beat a 1 seed in the women’s tournament even more remarkable. It’s going to happen in the men’s tournament someday too

I wasn't aware of that and am completely shocked that it happened. Just read up on it, looks like the #1 seed lost their two best players to torn ACL's right before the tournament, but still.......I'd literally bet my life on it that it'll never happen again. I just can't see it in the men's tournament either, those 16 seeds are just so overmatched. On the men's side there's usually a pretty significant difference between even the 14 seeds and the 16 seeds.