• The KillerFrogs

SEC Says No For Now to TAMU

TexasCard

There is still a belief it happens. Some believe A&M must first exit the Big 12-2-1 and then get the invite. They call it protocal saying the SEC won't "poach" a conference for expansion. I guess we will find out tomorrow. If A&M's board has the nads to leave the conference then that will signal they are a free agent and the SEC could revisit the issue on Tuesday. I also think this gets the time to set the process for #14 as well.

bscttyb

I think this will still go down. SEC had to put this out to avoid lawsuits. They can't look like they are breaking up a conference. ATM will vote tomorrow on leaving and then approach the SEC saying they would like an invite. Then the SEC will say we didn't come after them, they approached us, thus avoiding lawsuits.

[font="'Arial Black"]I know absolutely nothing about law, but I think this is what has to happen.[/font]

jack the frog

There is still a belief it happens. Some believe A&M must first exit the Big 12-2-1 and then get the invite. They call it protocal saying the SEC won't "poach" a conference for expansion. I guess we will find out tomorrow. If A&M's board has the nads to leave the conference then that will signal they are a free agent and the SEC could revisit the issue on Tuesday. I also think this gets the time to set the process for #14 as well.

Maybe so. Just guessing, but there just might have been a lawyer or two involved in the SEC meeting.

MN Frog

I would still like to see the BE to be aggresive here. I wouldnt be upset to see them offer BC, Mizzou, KU and KSU to get us to 14 before this whole thing fires up again. Lets get us that huge TV contract and secure our safety...

roddog

Banned

anm must apply, the sec cannot just offer an invitation to anm bc it could lead to lawsuits

AggieFrog

This - trying to avoid a lawsuit for the SEC interfering with the Big 12 contract. A&M must leave the conference before asking to join the SEC. We'll see, though. Lots of dirty politics involved, but it is clear that the Ags want out and the SEC is interested (no way do they have a meeting in Atlanta on a Sunday morning if not.

Frog89

Haven't read one thing on this today, but my opinion is they (SEC) are still trying to secure a 14th team, before adding A&M. I wouldn't read into this that it's still not going to happen. I still think A&M is gone at some point soon. My fear is W. Virginia will be asked. New SEC market, unlike Clemson or Florida State. Probably a stretch, and won't happen, but I view W. Virginia as one of the stronger football members of our conference, so hoping that's not being considered. I'd love to see Big East talking with Mizzou and Kansas and maybe one other school right now to be proactive. I can't imagine the Big XII north schools thinking this Big XII thing is long term. Seems like it may be a good conversation to have.

Limey Frog

According to the SEC-centric sites I'm reading [Clay Travis, the SBN blog for SEC coverage, etc.] the SEC is really concerned not to be seen as the instigator here. Which leads me to question whether they would be adding an ACC school as a 14th member. Clearly if they add Aggy at this time, it will be after Aggy withdraws preemptively from the Bevo-Numeral. Why go to all that trouble only to then turn around and straight out offer a spot to FSU or VT and get sued by the ACC?

Obviously still a lot of this saga to play out. But the single most important thing here for TCU is that no teams leave the ACC. That would be very bad news. Any other outcome is better. Aggy having to crawl back to DeLoss and Beebe would be the best, for so many reasons!

TexasCard

Haven't read one thing on this today, but my opinion is they (SEC) are still trying to secure a 14th team, before adding A&M. I wouldn't read into this that it's still not going to happen. I still think A&M is gone at some point soon. My fear is W. Virginia will be asked. New SEC market, unlike Clemson or Florida State. Probably a stretch, and won't happen, but I view W. Virginia as one of the stronger football members of our conference, so hoping that's not being considered. I'd love to see Big East talking with Mizzou and Kansas and maybe one other school right now to be proactive. I can't imagine the Big XII north schools thinking this Big XII thing is long term. Seems like it may be a good conversation to have.

I wouldn't worry about WVU getting an invite from the SEC. I actually think #14 doesn't have to be about television markets. The team from the Big East to watch is Louisville. Once I read UK wouldn't have an issue that sent off warning bells. Also Tom Jurich has been very, very quite on the issue (he wasn't about the Big 12-2-1) and the Courier Journal's two main sports guys both had positive things to say about it this morning (both bow down to UK). So word is in the back channels that something could be at work. I know it sounds crazy but this whole thing has been crazy since 2003. Personally I don't know that it would ever happen, but those dismissing it may be off base. I want the Big East to work out because it has been good to us, but the conference has to find a way to be an all sports conference for the long term survivability of the conference.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Welcome to 2011. College football has changed since Arkansas went to the SEC.

Doesn't change the fact that they can't claim 'protocol'. That ship has sailed.

My prediction is that the actual move of the Aggies to the SEC will take place sometime after ESPN announces the formation of The SEC Network sometime in the next 2 years.