• The KillerFrogs

SB Nation: Patterson Loses His Cool, Reputation From Postgame Comments

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
SB Nation: Patterson Loses His Cool, Reputation From Postgame Comments

by Pat Burns

TCU head coach Gary Patterson was not happy after the 40-33 loss to cross-town rival SMU Saturday. It's something the reigning coach of the year hasn't really experienced since the 2007 season, where his freshman-heavy team led by some kid named Andy Dalton lost five times. That can't sit well with the man.

To make things worse, there were two questionable pass interference calls early in the game that extended SMU drives and directly led to an early 17-0 deficit.

One can only imagine Patterson's initial reaction to the comments made by SMU wide receiver Darius Johnson. "I don't really like these TCU people," he said.

Heck, even SMU head coach June Jones got in on the fun, albeit in a more subtle way. When asked about how they were able to beat TCU by the Dallas Morning News, he had this to say: ...

michaelperrytcu

Question for older posters: Back in the day, when there was just a newspaper or two for a city, and not so many "journalists" (twitters, blogs, online news, newspapers, TV shows, etc) fighting for viewers, did you see the sensationalism and exaggeration that you see these days? This question is in response to the headline that GP has "lost" his reputation after Tuesday's comments.

HFrog1999

I don't know how it works on these blogs, but don't the editors or someone other than the author usually write the headlines?

GoFrogs96

What did this guys say that isn't true?

"They don't change, they stay and make people adjust to them," Jones said. "They might do one thing new a game for you, but they're going to do what they do and they're going to beat you. That's their attitude." - June Jones

How does this make GP go on a rant like a little B? Perhaps he didn't hear the entire statement by Jones. I believe GP made similar comments about the Wisconsin running game before the Rose Bowl. Imgine GP saying this about the Wisconsin running game, who would complain about that?

I'm a fan of GP and believe he'll turn the ship around but his little cry baby session doesn't help in a down year with conference realignment talk. His little rant has been on the front page of ESPN football for three days. If GP takes his D getting torched like a man the SMU loss is all but forgot by now.

"They're getting no help from Gary Patterson. They shouldn't ask me about going into a conference, they shouldn't ask me about how they played, they shouldn't ask me about their players, they shouldn't ask me about anything because they're not getting any help, period, anymore." GP should have finished off this statement with, "I'm taking my Rose Bowl Trophy and going home."

Fiscuits

He didn't lose his rep, but he did lose his cool. This too shall pass...but if one of his players did this (ie. Andre Dean incident to some degree) they would feel the wrath. It's all good with me, I am huge fan of his....but this was a blunder on his part he needs to learn from.