• The KillerFrogs

San Diego Union-Tribune: TCU’s Hughes: good shot at first round

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/ap...ood-shot-draft/

[SIZE=14pt]TCU’s Hughes: good shot at first round[/SIZE]

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Jerry Hughes played running back in high school outside Houston, and a few big schools wanted him to carry the ball for them. But he also played a little defensive end, which was the position Texas Christian recruited him to play while promising him the opportunity to also try to be a running back at the school where LaDainian Tomlinson starred.

Hughes never got his shot at running back and waited until his junior year to be a starter at defensive end.

Now he’s a two-time All-American who could become the Horned Frogs’ first first-round pick since Tomlinson in 2001.

Of course, Hughes grew an inch and gained 50 pounds in the process. But he remembers his roots.

“Being a running back you always focus on your speed,” he said at the NFL Scouting Combine. “So I felt like bringing that over to the defensive side of the ball really helped me, just being more explosive than other people, being faster and things like that.”

At 6-2, 255 and having run an impressive 4.65 at the Combine to follow up his 26½ sacks over the past two seasons, Hughes is one of the most talked about players in the leadup to the draft. A little undersized, he is projected by most as an outside linebacker in the NFL.

Having learned end on the fly, he’s fine with another adjustment.

“Absolutely,” he said. “I’ve only been on the defensive side of the ball for four years, so my knowledge of that side of the ball is still very minimal. So I have to open up and extend myself so I can learn more. I still have to learn things as far as defensive end, certain techniques, certain ways to do things. And now I also have to adapt and learn the outside linebacker position, which is what I think I’m capable of doing.”

It is possible Hughes won’t be the only TCU defensive end/outside linebacker to go in the first round.

There is talk that his bookend, Daryl Washington, could get into the end of the first round, though it is more likely that in a strong class of outside pass rushers Washington will slide to the second.

This is the eighth in a series of stories about the best players at every position leading up to the NFL draft Thursday.

[SIZE=12pt]TOP PROSPECTS[/SIZE]

Outside LB

Brandon Graham, Michigan | 6-2, 268: There is thought he could be the next Elvis Dumervil. He has impressive numbers and an unquestioned ethic. He played defensive tackle as a fill-in as a freshman and made big plays on special teams after volunteering to do so as a senior. Jacksonville at No. 10 could take him or maybe Tennessee at 16.

Sergio Kindle, Texas | 6-3, 250: Injuries and a DUI charge stalled his career early but he finished strong, playing inside and out and becoming first player ever nominated for Butkus Award as the top college linebacker and Hendricks Award as the top defensive end. Likely taken late in the first, perhaps by the Cardinals at No. 26.

Jerry Hughes, TCU | 6-2, 255: Relentless pass rusher who still has lots of room to improve into an all-around player. Patiently waited his turn at TCU and continued playing special teams his senior season. New Orleans could get a good deal with the 32nd pick.

Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri | 6-1, 239: Had 33 tackles for loss over the past two seasons. He can cover, too, though there are concerns about his lack of height doing so in the NFL. Likely high second-round pick.

Daryl Washington, TCU | 6-2, 230: Ran a 4.58 40 at the Combine, which backed up a solid senior season. A one-year starter who is a little small, he can play inside or outside depending on who drafts him. A likely second-rounder.

Inside LB

Rolando McClain, Alabama | 6-4, 249: Three-year starter before coming out early, he is likely the only ILB that will go in the first round. Concerns about coverage skills, but he is a pure football player. Could go as high as No. 5 to Kansas City and shouldn’t drop out of the top 10.

Sean Lee, Penn State | 6-2, 236: High motor and character and versatility overcomes limitations. Sat out junior year after ACL surgery. Could go as high as second round or drop to third.

Donald Butler, Washington | 6-1, 245: Virtually unknown before his senior season, he could go in the second round based on physicality and explosiveness against the run.