• The KillerFrogs

Sam Jackson now at Cal—electric

Paul in uhh

Sam Jackson -- A special talent that maybe should have been more of a priority for TCU; unfortunate to have lost him.

Last night, Sam Jackson, with Cal now, showed he has the most football athletic talent of the group of QB’s that TCU had last year. The most football athletic talent on the team, except size. He is electric and elusive. Appeared quick with everything he does — feet, arm and thought. He appears confident. A unique joy to watch. Crazy quick feet and throwing motion. His strong arm and overhead mechanics put a beautiful trajectory on his ball and he appears accurate. He also has elite speed.

Too bad he is working behind Cal’s poor offensive line that distracts and hinders what he could do for that offense.

Should he have played more last year? Was he getting enough practice reps? Was It clear to him he would have equal opportunity to start at QB this year? Jackson is a special talent and it would have been a treat to watch him play as a Frog for two or three seasons.
Wish Sam the best but chandler is far and away the better player. Stats and film both clearly show it.

Paul in uhh

We just had a quarterback complete 85% of his passes while throwing for 2 TD and rushing for 67 and getting a TD that way too. PFF ranked him the 2nd best FBS quarterback on the weekend…… and we have people here who are pining for a former 3rd stringer who is 17/31 (54%) with more picks than TD? All this talk about Sam’s elusiveness and his longest run this season is 13 yards.

Again - wish him the best but chandler is light years ahead

Wexahu

We just had a quarterback complete 85% of his passes while throwing for 2 TD and rushing for 67 and getting a TD that way too. PFF ranked him the 2nd best FBS quarterback on the weekend…… and we have people here who are pining for a former 3rd stringer who is 17/31 (54%) with more picks than TD? All this talk about Sam’s elusiveness and his longest run this season is 13 yards.

Again - wish him the best but chandler is light years ahead
I think it's gonna be one of those deals where CM is going to have to be damn near be perfect or it's just not going to be good enough for some people. I don't really get it, but that's the way it seems. It gets really annoying when people talk about Dalton, Boykin and Duggan as if they never had bad or even below average games.

You would have thought CM was totally in over his head and out of his league according to some after the CU game. Did anyone watch the Nebraska QB last week? He basically handed the Buffs the ball four times.

fanatical frog

IMHO, GR left for Clemson to better position himself to be the next HC there when Dabo leaves for Alabama.
WRT, CSD and nepotism....Sonny has been around cfb all his life and understands better than most that you win or you pack your bags. I hope his desire is to finish his career here.

Eight

Watched the second half …one of those picks was a Hail Mary at end of half….Cal OC did Sam zero favors ..HORRIBLE play calling, way too conservative….never rolled Sam out…so so predictable ….it was ridiculous

For example, last drive of the game …Bears in the red zone …Bears get a holding penalty, 1st and 20 from the 25, OC calls a run!! Second pick was on 4th and 13. If Cal OC ever lets Sam be Sam, the kid could be special and really fun to watch. I’m pulling for him!

never have understood the love for spavital, he has worked with some really good offensive coaches from the leach tree in kliff, dana, and sonny, but it just didn't translate at texas state and not sure what they were trying to do at times last saturday, have no idea how strict to the leach tree jake's offensive philosophies.

perfect example is the difference in what garrett riley wanted to do and preferred in his quarterback prospect and briles and the two prospects he has targeted for tcu.

the int at the end of the first half was very similar to the int that sealed their fate. sam just put the ball up and didn't put it near a cal receiver where they could at least try to make a play or possibly draw a pi. no, not great opportunities, but if you are going to throw the ball in those situations you need to put close to one of your receivers and neither was close.

both throws were throws made by an inexperienced quarterback which is what it is, young guys make silly decisions at times. the bigger concern to me on sam is the lack of pocket awareness at times and the poor mechanics which lead to him missing some very makeable throws by a pretty good margin. he has been in college for three years so one would hope some of the mechanical issues would have been resolved, but maybe not.

they play idaho next week would should be a game for him to work out some of these kinks and then things jump up a great deal in competition as they play uw, oregon, usc, and utah in their first 6 conference games and wilcox is working on a short leash in berkley

Frawg

Chandler is not our problem. Sam is not better than Chandler or he'd still be here. Cal scored ten stinking points last night. TEN. I've seen Chandler make one horrible mistake this season. The 2nd interception by CU was a great play by Hunter. 99% of the time, the corner travels with the wideout on the in-breaking route and RB is wide open. Any QB would have thrown that. Are we still sour that he was picked to start over Max even tho the choice was obvious at the time? We had a great year last year and Max was the leader of that with an outstanding running game, but not one single person had us going to the championship game.
Loved Max for being a warrior and his heroics. I won’t miss the early game spasmodics that put us in so many situations that required those heroics. So inaccurate early in big games. WR screens were adventures at best and generally wasted plays. Yet our OC continued to call them:rolleyes:

Offense will only get better and better the more he plays with these receivers and Briles assesses his strengths and weaknesses.

Paint It Purple

Chandler is not our problem. Sam is not better than Chandler or he'd still be here. Cal scored ten stinking points last night. TEN. I've seen Chandler make one horrible mistake this season. The 2nd interception by CU was a great play by Hunter. 99% of the time, the corner travels with the wideout on the in-breaking route and RB is wide open. Any QB would have thrown that. Are we still sour that he was picked to start over Max even tho the choice was obvious at the time? We had a great year last year and Max was the leader of that with an outstanding running game, but not one single person had us going to the championship game.
I have forever longed for the occasion where the starter goes down and a miracle backup comes in and plays lights out. We had it happen. Enjoy it!

FrogBall09

Sam Jackson QBR versus Morris

I don’t think Jackson was great

But we played a high school and they played Auburn - stupid metric to compare given the Aledo QB would have had an 80+ against Nicholls

I mean LSUs backup had a 95.9 QBR against Grambling- so should we get him instead?

FrogBall09

I think it's gonna be one of those deals where CM is going to have to be damn near be perfect or it's just not going to be good enough for some people. I don't really get it, but that's the way it seems. It gets really annoying when people talk about Dalton, Boykin and Duggan as if they never had bad or even below average games.

You would have thought CM was totally in over his head and out of his league according to some after the CU game. Did anyone watch the Nebraska QB last week? He basically handed the Buffs the ball four times.
Or play well against a team with a pulse

We played an FCS team last week
- And a bad one at that - their power ranking is 83 out of 123 in the FCS.

let’s not act like that meant much

Against Colorado he was pretty mediocre by all measures - slightly better than 60th rated in the FBS that week

If experience is what he needs - then he has two weeks in a row to prove it since we are playing back to back teams that are “ beneath” us talent and program wise

Morris has the perfect schedule this year to give him an opportunity to get better as the year progresses since the weakest part of our schedule is the next three weeks it slowly gets harder and then two of our last three weeks will be our toughest games

So we will see because there won’t be any excuses at the end of the year

Wexahu

Against Colorado he was pretty mediocre by all measures - slightly better than 60th rated in the FBS that week

If experience is what he needs - then he has two weeks in a row to prove it since we are playing back to back teams that are “ beneath” us talent and program wise

Morris has the perfect schedule this year to give him an opportunity to get better as the year progresses since the weakest part of our schedule is the next three weeks it slowly gets harder and then two of our last three weeks will be our toughest games

Why don’t we wait until at least the middle of the season then before making a final judgement? Nobody is acting like whatever he played like against Nicholls meant much, just like nobody was saying after Baylor 2021 that he was the best QB we’ve had in a decade, even though that was arguably the best game by a TCU QB in a decade.

In the end he might not be as good as what we all hoped he’d be (or at least what some of us hoped he’d be) What’s the alternative? What does constantly trashing him accomplish?

fanatical frog

People were cool with Max Duggan for 4 years but won't give Chandler a full season...
Not the way I remember it. Not at all. A bunch of this forum was way over the top nasty about Max despite the fact that Max spent three of those four years running for his life.
Now the same ones have started in on Chandler.......and, absolutely any reasonable person would give him a full season.

Eight

remember reading leach's book and he had a term who people who would talk about opponents being beneath them and the games being meaningless or not a true test......think that terms was morons, but could be wrong

DeuceBoogieNights

Not the way I remember it. Not at all. A bunch of this forum was way over the top nasty about Max despite the fact that Max spent three of those four years running for his life.
Now the same ones have started in on Chandler.......and, absolutely any reasonable person would give him a full season.

I guess we remember it differently. There was a loud minority who didn't like Max but many were always quick to defend him. Same with Kenny Hill. Doesn't really matter though. I could be misremembering, word to Roger Clemens.

FrogBall09

remember reading leach's book and he had a term who people who would talk about opponents being beneath them and the games being meaningless or not a true test......think that terms was morons, but could be wrong
Ah - name calling

Guess that proves you have no intelligent rebuttal

Being 83rd in FCS makes Nicholls about the 215th ranked team in the country

We were #2 last year - we better be far above them

And should have scored more than 14 offensive points in the first half and had to play our starters most of the 4th

See what LSU did to their conference mate as an example of what we should always do…

It was pedestrian- try to cover it with whatever stats make you feel better

Latest posts