• The KillerFrogs

Sam Jackson now at Cal—electric

Sam Jackson -- A special talent that maybe should have been more of a priority for TCU; unfortunate to have lost him.

Last night, Sam Jackson, with Cal now, showed he has the most football athletic talent of the group of QB’s that TCU had last year. The most football athletic talent on the team, except size. He is electric and elusive. Appeared quick with everything he does — feet, arm and thought. He appears confident. A unique joy to watch. Crazy quick feet and throwing motion. His strong arm and overhead mechanics put a beautiful trajectory on his ball and he appears accurate. He also has elite speed.

Too bad he is working behind Cal’s poor offensive line that distracts and hinders what he could do for that offense.

Should he have played more last year? Was he getting enough practice reps? Was It clear to him he would have equal opportunity to start at QB this year? Jackson is a special talent and it would have been a treat to watch him play as a Frog for two or three seasons.

Last edited:

Eight

Sam Jackson - A special talent like him maybe should have been a priority and it is bad to have lost him.

Last night, Sam Jackson, with Cal now, showed he has the most football athletic talent of the group of QB’s that TCU had last year. The most football athletic talent on the team, except for size. Appeared quick with everything he does— feet, arm and thought. A unique joy to watch. His strong arm and overhead mechanics put a beautiful trajectory on his ball and he appears accurate. He also has elite speed. Too bad he is working behind a shaky line.

The Frogs not prioritizing him seems unfortunate. Should he have played more last year? Was It clear to him he would have equal chance to start at QB this year? A special talent like him should be a priority and it would have been a treat to watch him play as a Frog for two or three seasons.

curious, what did he do last night that has you typing that he is a special talent?

he is very quick, but looked very raw and needs a great deal of work

the interception at the end of the game was a terrible decision

Frogs1983

Sam Jackson -- A special talent that maybe should have been more of a priority for TCU; unfortunate to have lost him.

Last night, Sam Jackson, with Cal now, showed he has the most football athletic talent of the group of QB’s that TCU had last year. The most football athletic talent on the team, except size. He is electric and elusive! Appeared quick with everything he does — feet, arm and thought. He appears confident. A unique joy to watch. Crazy quick feet and throwing motion. His strong arm and overhead mechanics put a beautiful trajectory on his ball and he appears accurate. He also has elite speed.

Too bad he is working behind Cal’s poor offensive line that distracts and hinders what he could do for that offense.

Should he have played more last year? Was he getting enough practice reps? Was It clear to him he would have equal opportunity to start at QB this year? Jackson is a special talent and it would have been a treat to watch him play as a Frog for two or three seasons.
Thinking Dykes was a bit hasty in all but giving the starting spot to Morris after last season .With NIL & portal available now, the days of riding the pine until your opportunity comes is over in CFB.

Eight

Cal lost to Auburn 14-10 last night. Had some good drives, but came up empty sometimes. Missed three field goals. Had a TD called back by penalty. Sam was good, but no win.

bit confused as all i have read by many on this site is how bad chandler morris was against colorado, how many throws he missed, and his poor decisions

sam against auburn was 14 of 27 for 126 yards and 2 int's.

as i said up in this thread, he flashed some stuff, looked really quick a couple of times eluding the rush, but missed a number of throws badly and made a couple of really bad decisions on the interceptions especially the one that sealed the game

Agreed. Sam was good, but not a difference maker. Probably Cal's best option at QB. He got injured against University of North Texas and the back-up played most of the game. Hurts to have some decent drives and come up empty. A difference maker needs to be able to finish those drives off since the kicker seems unreliable.

I wonder what he thinks about the decision to transfer, then seeing his conference melt down.

Eight

Agreed. Sam was good, but not a difference maker. Probably Cal's best option at QB. He got injured against University of North Texas and the back-up played most of the game. Hurts to have some decent drives and come up empty. A difference maker needs to be able to finish those drives off since the kicker seems unreliable.

I wonder what he thinks about the decision to transfer, then seeing his conference melt down.

think sam has a higher physical ceiling than chandler, but as i said he is really, really raw and is going to need to put in a great deal of work if he truly wants to be a quarterback

the play in which he is pressure, spins out and drops back 5 yards, spins out again, and drops back even farther where he was 15-20 yards back from the los is very athletic and very unaware of where he was on the field

will say he missed his senior year in high school with covid and didn't play a great deal last year, cal is going to have to make a choice if they are wiling to go through the growing pains

tcudoc

50% completion rate, no TDs, 2 Ints, and lost.

We have different definitions of "electric".
By electric, I think he meant not gasoline powered and, therefore, supposedly more friendly to the environment, without taking into account the limited supply of elements needed to produce the batteries and the fact that there are not enough recharging stations to account for all players being electric.

Last edited:

Realtorfrog

I think Jackson and the Oregon State transfer that already transferred saw the love that Dykes has for Morris and knew they weren’t going to be given a fair shot. The friendship between the families has altered the perception that Morris is the one. I mean he picked Morris over Duggan last year and that’s laughable, talent evaluation in question for sure! I wonder if that’s some of the reason we lost our OC??

That being said….. Morris played a lot better this week but it was Nicholas and all of his passes that I remember were less than 20 yards.

PineyWoodsFrog

Chandler is not our problem. Sam is not better than Chandler or he'd still be here. Cal scored ten stinking points last night. TEN. I've seen Chandler make one horrible mistake this season. The 2nd interception by CU was a great play by Hunter. 99% of the time, the corner travels with the wideout on the in-breaking route and RB is wide open. Any QB would have thrown that. Are we still sour that he was picked to start over Max even tho the choice was obvious at the time? We had a great year last year and Max was the leader of that with an outstanding running game, but not one single person had us going to the championship game.

peacock

bit confused as all i have read by many on this site is how bad chandler morris was against colorado, how many throws he missed, and his poor decisions

sam against auburn was 14 of 27 for 126 yards and 2 int's.

as i said up in this thread, he flashed some stuff, looked really quick a couple of times eluding the rush, but missed a number of throws badly and made a couple of really bad decisions on the interceptions especially the one that sealed the game
Watched the second half …one of those picks was a Hail Mary at end of half….Cal OC did Sam zero favors ..HORRIBLE play calling, way too conservative….never rolled Sam out…so so predictable ….it was ridiculous

For example, last drive of the game …Bears in the red zone …Bears get a holding penalty, 1st and 20 from the 25, OC calls a run!! Second pick was on 4th and 13. If Cal OC ever lets Sam be Sam, the kid could be special and really fun to watch. I’m pulling for him!

Latest posts