• The KillerFrogs

Saarloos was a bad choice

Dman890

I love that people are like “pitching has been horrible all year long” but let’s just see what happens over the next month…like it’s going to magically become amazing .

I suppose all fans have to do is hope / but that feels a bit delusional.

It ain’t simply Lupton Magic, it’s the coach that created the magic.

I suspect Schloss had a system to assemble a team, learned through experience and smarts, and a knack to know the pieces needed to get the job done and be complete, and then manage and develop those pieces. And an ambitious drive to execute the details of all this.

Schloss was excellent and TCU was very fortunate to have him. It’s bad when people diminish a great coach as someone that can be replaced instead of fully appreciating being blessed with him at the helm. A once-in-a-generation or longer hit that should never be taken for granted as if TCU can easily wash, rinse and repeat.

Schloss developed a program that went to five World Series; nobody else did this. TCU now hopes Saarloos has that magic, but it is hope without proof.

Last edited:

PurpleBlood87

Saarloos seems too be trying to have confidence in his pitchers to work through their mound problems

Then when they don't seems like he doesn't have anyone ready to take over.

Yesterday luckily he had Hoover ready when Brown couldn't get it done. But Hoover couldn't get it done either.

East Coast

Tier 1
I went onto the NCAA site and noticed our team ERA, while over 5, is sitting at about 80th nationally, so while not great, it's above average. We are also scoring over 7 runs game, which you would hope is fine.

What we are missing are the elite pitchers we are used to, as our upper classmen just have not cut it.

Scoring is way high nationwide. This tells me that some combination of the following is happening. 1) The ball is juiced. While I have no proof of this, the way the balls are flying out just makes me think it is true. 2) Hitters may have adjusted to the pitch clock better than pitchers. 3) Blue is squeezing the pitchers. Someone else who follows more closely would have to confirm this. 4) There is an overall shortage of quality pitching in college baseball. This has been trending for years, mostly I think because the best athletes are not choosing baseball as often as in the past.

So maybe everything is not as dire as I first thought. If just 2 or 3 pitchers can step up this last part of the year we would be a very dangerous team.

Horny4TCU

Great point/thread. Moron.
your-mother-great-argument-however.gif

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
Maybe we should just lower baseball to D2 or D3.

No, let's drop baseball as a program entirely.

Better yet, let's drop all athletics because losing a game gives me the sads.

Hell, disband the entire university.
From a guy with purple colored glasses and whose hero died of a drug overdose.

Deep Purple

I love that people are like “pitching has been horrible all year long” but let’s just see what happens over the next month…like it’s going to magically become amazing .

I suppose all fans have to do is hope / but that feels a bit delusional.
Baseball is a streaky game. Riding high during one stretch, can't buy a series during another. Virtually all teams go through it. That's why folks are saying "Wait and see." The next few weeks will tell us whether the Frogs have been on a hard-luck streak or if the problem goes deeper.

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
I'm not down on Saarloos or the team.

I just said they were NOT a Top 25 team and they sure as hell shouldn't have been picked to win the B12 preseason.

This team is very young and should be much better next year. If Taylor and a few others leave for the draft, next season could be very pedestrian as well.

Saarloos has done a very average job. For a pitching guru, I'm concerned and he's confused.

I also said: The team has no fight. They have no get after your ass attitude!! They hug each other after a HR. (?????????)

Lightning in a bottle is possible.......but it sure as [ Finebaum ] ain't coming playing like this!!
If they play mamby pamby ball like the first 30 ish games, they ain't going to any post season.

There are a helluva lot of good teams in the country and the TCU crazy number of Strike Outs (Boyers has 42!), Errors, [ Finebaum ]ty pitching, mamby pamby hitting and a coach who leaves bad pitching in way too long instead of going to get them - will get you a seat in front of the TV for the post seasson

froglash88

I'm not down on Saarloos or the team.

I just said they were NOT a Top 25 team and they sure as hell shouldn't have been picked to win the B12 preseason.

This team is very young and should be much better next year. If Taylor and a few others leave for the draft, next season could be very pedestrian as well.

Saarloos has done a very average job. For a pitching guru, I'm concerned and he's confused.

I also said: The team has no fight. They have no get after your ass attitude!! They hug each other after a HR. (?????????)

Lightning in a bottle is possible.......but it sure as [ Finebaum ] ain't coming playing like this!!
If they play mamby pamby ball like the first 30 ish games, they ain't going to any post season.

There are a helluva lot of good teams in the country and the TCU crazy number of Strike Outs (Boyers has 42!), Errors, [ Finebaum ]ty pitching, mamby pamby hitting and a coach who leaves bad pitching in way too long instead of going to get them - will get you a seat in front of the TV for the post seasson
Damn
I was going to sit behind my TV for the post season.

NewFrogFan

unfortunately, some of the posters who provided solid information on the game itself and the program don't post anymore

saarloos has struggled to find his footing, but there have been some positive signs from last year to this one

not sure how much is a byproduct of bruce coming on board or just luck

5 new position players came on board and silva and bowen have been top shelf as frosh, fontenelle has been a great addition, richardson a plus, and davis has been a bit of a disappointment.

feel free to nitpick and rationalize, but it has been awhile since the frogs have dropped 4 new position players in the lineup and they have the impact of those first 4 and mix davis in as well

there is the concern over the issues with nunez, boyer, and bishop. would love to know if they just aren't that good, a development issue , etc..

the pitching has been bad and as i have mentioned on a couple of game threads, the frogs haven't gotten much from the 8 junior pitchers on their roster be it injury, inconsistency, or regressing

wright and savage missed time with injury and are starting to get back to form as savage a bit.

ridings has continued his struggles from last year and not returned to his form of 2021

cam has continued to be the same inconsistent cam with draftable stuff.

the cal transfer has been soso and vanderhel has been bad

outside of klecker, a number of frosh have shown flashes, but struggled to find consistency

do think a number of them wouldn't be getting the innings they are if the upperclassmen were healthy and effective

finally, think baseball is a sport that does benefit from nil, but we have just started that sooooo....have we seen enough potential from the incoming class this year to think the program can have a positive future or are we merely treading water
Glad I am not only one to wonder what is up w some of the more prominent, transfer, pitching.

PurpleBlood87

Glad I am not only one to wonder what is up w some of the more prominent, transfer, pitching.
Who are these prominent transfer pitchers?
Frogs lost Kade Morris, who was probably the top pitching transfer prospect, when he decided to stay at Nevada.
Vanderhei had a 6-plus ERA last season at Kansas. Had a great opener. Has had control issues (22 walks and 7 HBPs in 39.1 innings.
Hunter Hodges has been hurt most of the season.
Calvin Murray has worked one inning.
Sam Stoutenborough has a 4.50 ERA in 22 innings (23 Ks and only 8 walks).

LisaLT

I’m not real hopeful about this season, but I hope CKS can make strides next year with recruitment.

It’s year two and it’s not as though we are in last place, but I think there were high expectations placed on Saarloos because he has been with the program for a long time and everyone thought he could just pick up where Schloss left off. It’s not that simple is it.

He really needs to focus on getting quality pitching next year. We’ve had success with transfers (Richardson and Davis in particular) perhaps that Avenue will be fruitful.