• The KillerFrogs

Russell Wilson to Wisconsin

Frog DJ

And some cadets never make it to graduation, and have no active military service at all.
Just for the sake of accuracy - if a cadet drops out of a service academy before he or she begins his or her junior year what you've described is true. He or she is not obligated to serve in the military.

However, when a cadet reaches his or her junior year he or she signs what's called a "contract," in which they agree to serve a certain number of years in the branch with which their academy is aligned.

Should that cadet drop out after he or she has signed the "contract," they are still obligated to serve the term specified, but instead of being an officer they will enter the enlisted ranks.

Just for the sake of accuracy.

Go Frogs!

Lone Frog

I must've missed the part where I said or insinuated all of that. I said, as a whole, the cadets and especially football players at AFA are a very commendable group of people. And you're not insulting the "few" cadets, you're insulting them as a whole.

But, it's really pointless to argue about this. I'm just going to step away. But until you've served yourself, I don't think it's fair for you to speak of our military in that manner. Quote me or whatever you want or refute what I'm saying, but I'm not going to be posting in this thread anymore.

(And just to give background on my personal connections for full disclosure. I am ROTC, my dad is a high ranking officer in the AF, both my grandpas served in the Navy, and I was accepted to USAFA, and recruited and offered a spot on the JV football team (and eventually Varsity provided I improved at a steady pace) before deciding Army ROTC was better for me. Because of that I know USAFA and several cadets there pretty well.)

Bold added.

Yeah, that's not a disturbing line of thinking or anything. Paging Robert Heinlein.

Army Frog Fan

Do some HS students head off to the academies with goals of the private sector after service? Yes. Has that number dropped significantly since, say, the HS graduating class of 2001? As Sarah Palin would say, "You Betcha."

In the 90's it was more common to find students who assumed they would coast through their 5 years of service and then get out. Does that make their choice to go there over say Stanford or Harvard or Rice more less commendable? Maybe in the eyes of some. Now that every HS student who makes that choice knows that there is a high probability of being put in harm's way at least once in their minimum commitment, which I beleive has been increased to 6 years, I would argue that makes their selection of service very commendable. Even those who plan on using the diploma as a resume boost.

I would assume if you went to TCU or UT or any of the Ivy's or pretty much anywhere, and offered the students there a free education that was tied to a ticket to Iraq or Afghanistan, the majority of them would laugh in your face.

My $.02. But, hey, I am biased because I was one of those HS kids who made that choice once.

froginaustin

I must've missed the part where I said or insinuated all of that. I said, as a whole, the cadets and especially football players at AFA are a very commendable group of people. And you're not insulting the "few" cadets, you're insulting them as a whole.

But, it's really pointless to argue about this. I'm just going to step away. But until you've served yourself, I don't think it's fair for you to speak of our military in that manner. Quote me or whatever you want or refute what I'm saying, but I'm not going to be posting in this thread anymore.

That attitude would be perfectly appropriate in Pakistan or Argentina. :rolleyes:

Its a harder sell in the good ole USA.

(And just to give background on my personal connections for full disclosure. I am ROTC, my dad is a high ranking officer in the AF, both my grandpas served in the Navy, and I was accepted to USAFA, and recruited and offered a spot on the JV football team (and eventually Varsity provided I improved at a steady pace) before deciding Army ROTC was better for me. Because of that I know USAFA and several cadets there pretty well.)

I suppose there's nothing more to learn about AFA after hearing their recruiting pitch as a potential athlete. :laugh: