• The KillerFrogs

Running it up question

Army Frog Fan

I got into it with some fans from another tram. Overwhelmingly, they say not running it up. I say classless call. Curious what y'all think is the proper call.

Ok. 5:00 to play in 3rd quarter. Up 43-0 and get an INT to put offense on the field in the red zone. 4th and 1 from the 7 yard line. Their coach went for it and two plays later scored a TD to make it 50-0.

I said kicking the FG was proper. Am I out of my mind?

cdsfrog

Hard to tell. Number of factors play into that decision.

If they ran it up the middle, then it I have less of a problem with it. Patterson goes for it on 4th down in that situation but runs the ball right up the middle and then continues to run it.

UltimateFrog

That's called running up the score.

I'd also make the argument that Houston was running up the score against ECU... running the hurry up and throwing the ball. They had backups in, but it was still running up the score.

Now the way TCU handles a big lead is the opposite spectrum, and almost as bad in my opinion.

BSU Fresno on Friday night. It was a run up the middle.

Ok, so maybe I am out of my mind.

in my opinion - that is considered running up the score... however, if BSU backups were in and FSU starters were in, then it is almost acceptable... i understand trying to get reps for your backups but when you're up by 43 and trying to get a touchdown, it looks like BSU is trying to get all the style points they can get...

The acceptable thing to do on 4th and 1 in that situation is to run the ball up the middle. If the other team can stop you, so be it. If they can't, then you keep going. Kicking a FG puts points on the board too.

Had it been 5 minutes in the 4th, all backups should be in and you still run the ball up the middle.

BigEasyFrog

I caught the end of the Houston-ECU game. While I get that they are a primarily passing team, the hurry up mode at the end trying to score just didn't seem right, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I don't necessarily agree but I won't call it running up the score or classless.

If the game is all but over and you still have your starters in against backups, that's obviously an entirely different story alltogether.

But I'm not going to apologize if I continue to score touchdowns and field goals if my backups are in against their backups and they can't stop me if it's late in the 3rd or early in the 4th and the game is all but decided. I'm not going to hurry up and go no-huddle obviously, but I'm not just going to be lackadasial out there. And if it's pretty much the last possession or two, I'd probably just run in straight up the middle over and over again to get the game over with as quickly as possible or just go victory formation.

I remember seeing us kind of rub it in on Rice one time in 2000 (before Patterson coached), we threw a bomb to go up 37-0 on one of our final possessions of the game. That's running up the score to me.

Games for instance like the New Mexico game where we kept scoring with all backups after that game finally calmed down, or Stephen F. Austin a few years ago when we won 67-7 and the backups pretty much played the entire 2nd half, I'm not going to feel sorry for continuing to score there when it was the backups not really hurrying things up.