• The KillerFrogs

Rogers transferring

netty2424

Only if they had another pair of pants in his size...
giphy.gif

Planks

I think the thing that hurt JR is that he simply hasn’t played much football. He was a back up in high school his freshman and sophomore season. He played his junior year, but then gets hurt first game of his senior season with an injury so severe he not only misses the rest of the season but is limited in practice as well once he gets to TCU.

Justin simply hasn’t received the playing experience or practice reps that most quarterbacks have at this point in their careers. Remember, many college quarterbacks were multi year starters in HS. He should transfer to a school where he will clearly receive the lion share of practice reps and playing time. He has the talent and work ethic to be successful if he gets the chance.

Planks

Believe Collins stays - he likes our business school.

I’d be very surprised if Collins stays. I assume he’ll be a graduate transfer anyway so I don’t think the fact that he likes our business school will be a factor since he will have already graduated. Plus, all due respect to our business school, but Collins already transferred out of Penn, which has the best business school in the country in the Wharton school of business. So Collins has already proved he is willing to chose football over business school.

Also let’s be brutally honest, if a coaching staff thought Delton was better than you and gave him the reps and playing time that should have been going to you, would you have any respect or desire to play for that coaching staff ever again? This season has been a big slap in the face to Collins, if I was him I would be PISSED.

tcumaniac

If JR is transferring because, "Max is the guy," that is very short-sighted, IMO. Ohio State won a National Champeenship with their THIRD team quarterback. Who FWIW, could have had a great opportunity to NFL if he had put in the work.
What I'm wondering is, maybe JR sees, or was told by coaches, that if he can't run then he can't play here. Which IMO would be uberdumb.

EDIT: Since I know there will be a reply to this intentionally mistconstruing "can't run," what I mean is if he can't be an RPO guy, Earl.

There's a big difference between riding the bench at Ohio State and at TCU.

If you're a 5 star recruit that chooses to come to Fort Worth, it's because you expect to be the guy. I imagine a player is willing to have a little more patience at an elite program that has over 100,000 fans in their stadium every game and consistently competes for National Championships.

Best of luck to Justin. I don't know anything as fact, but everything being reported, as others on here have already indicated, is that Justin is just severely behind the other guys when it comes making reads and getting his throws off in time. He has limited experience actually playing quarterback and the game is just way too fast for him right now. Nothing that can't be fixed with time and development, but as of now it sounds like he is still very raw and unpolished. I hope he eventually puts it all together and has a great career.

CountryFrog

He wasn’t even traveling so yah the writing was on the wall. Still blows.

Would’ve been nice to see the kid get a couple series. Instead they were wasted on Delton. There, I said it.
Series may well have been wasted on Delton but it wouldn't have been JR going in there anyway I don't think.

MAcFroggy

For Justin's sake I hope he gets healthy and finds a great landing spot. Hope he can start somewhere and make it to the NFL (or do whatever else he wants).

However, I do not think we need to be overly worried about rogers transferring. We have a good true freshman QB and some other players in the QB room (Baldwin and Collins). This is just how college football is these days. Just like teams scour the transfer portal for talent, players need to look out for their best interest at times too.

He was a big time recruit and I am glad he ended up at TCU, but this might be the best for both parties. Again, hope it all works out for him!

Wexahu

It was all GP or so it seems. GP stated by what the offensive coaching staff was viewing, Delton had the practice snaps over the other competitors. Some are practice players and some are gamers. On this subject, I believe GP was shooting straight. Delton looked the best in practice.

On Justin, truly a mystery once you got past the injury. He certainly had been in the system long enough to understand the offensive schemes, practiced hard, worked the weight and film rooms. To be behind Downing, a walk on and not even make the travel squad, that is quite a fall from being the highest rated QB recruited by GP.

Do we know this for sure? Maybe he is a great kid but isn't the kind of football junkie the coaches wanted him to be. We had a kid last year who apparently didn't like to watch film and put in the extra work, and none of that really came to light until he decided to leave.

CountryFrog

There was zero reason to think Delton was any good and he was named the starter.
He was healthy. By all accounts we had a grand total of 2 scholarship QB's who were actually healthy and ready to play in a D1 football game through all of summer and fall camp.

If the coaches had put JR out there when he clearly wasn't ready to contribute just to appease him then we all would've been super critical of that too. Unfortunately he only played one season of HS as a starter then suffered a gruesome injury and just hasn't gotten to the point where he can help a team at this level win games. What other way is there for the coaches to handle that except not to play him?

Planks

Collins didn’t start this year because he was still hurt in summer camp. Right? Hope he stays. He’s our best insurance now.

Regardless, he has been healthy for weeks now. Coaches should have used the bye week before the K State game as a chance to move Collins up to the #2 spot so that he had two full weeks of getting reps behind Duggan. Instead, our coaches were more concerned with giving Delton his “coming home” moment than actually making decisions to help win football games.

I just don’t see why Collins would stay to be a backup on a team whose coaches pushed him down the depth chart for no reason?

jake102

I just don’t see why Collins would stay to be a backup on a team whose coaches pushed him down the depth chart for no reason?

From the tidbits I've heard, I think perhaps Collins isn't looking to the NFL as his future. And by all accounts he has enjoyed his TCU "experience"

TX_Krötenechse

Regardless, he has been healthy for weeks now. Coaches should have used the bye week before the K State game as a chance to move Collins up to the #2 spot so that he had two full weeks of getting reps behind Duggan. Instead, our coaches were more concerned with giving Delton his “coming home” moment than actually making decisions to help win football games.

Collins isn’t an NFL quarterback. I’m sure he loves the game, so he might grad transfer somewhere just to get in more football, but it’s just as possible that he wants to enjoy his time at TCU and his free education.

CountryFrog

I'll simplify it for those who insist on playing dumb. There was a chance, however you want to calculate it, that JR could be, and can still be, a good, or great college qb. Even a possibility, again put whatever number you want to on it, that he could be NFL.

There is, and always has been, exactly ZERO chance that Delton is ever any of those things. . . Ever.
All of this can be true but you don't make decisions about who will play RIGHT NOW based on who MIGHT be really good at some point in the future. Even LT wasn't a starter until his Junior year here.

Latest posts