• The KillerFrogs

Rivals: West Virginia QB Grier displays his versatility once again

Mountaineerlegion

WVA will sell out on the run trying to force Kenny Hill to beat us through the air, but the problem with that is he won't need the deep ball to beat defenses given our weapons at WR and the way the OLine has been playing (obviously the Morris injury might change that a bit).

Assessing Olines is difficult but WVU has allowed 5 sacks and TCU has allowed 6. TCU is averaging 232 rushing Yds/G, WVU is averaging 231. By itself these mean nothing but there isn't much empirical data for Olines.

I'm curious why you think your receiving corps will be a difference maker other than quantity of receivers perhaps...

Big 12 Receiving Leaders Yds/G
4 Gary Jennings WVU JR WR 109.5
7 David Sills V WVU JR WR 99.0
15 Marcus Simms WVU SO WR 70.3
21 Ka’Raun White WVU SR WR 52.3
34 Desmon White TCU SR WR 37.8

34 Jalen Reagor TCU FR WR 37.8

37 KaVontae Turpin TCU JR WR 34.8
44 John Diarse TCU SR WR 25.3
44 Shaun Nixon TCU JR WR 25.3

47 Kenedy Snell TCU FR RB 22.8

The receiving game could depend on opposing teams' secondaries...

Big 12 Passing Defenses Yds/G Given Up
4 West Virginia 225.0
5 TCU 229.0

Just looking for your thoughts, not trying to pick a fight.

SuperTFrog

Assessing Olines is difficult but WVU has allowed 5 sacks and TCU has allowed 6. TCU is averaging 232 rushing Yds/G, WVU is averaging 231. By itself these mean nothing but there isn't much empirical data for Olines.

I'm curious why you think your receiving corps will be a difference maker other than quantity of receivers perhaps...

4 West Virginia 225.0
5 TCU 229.0

TCU gives up 323 yds per game compared to 450 for WVU and our opponents are much stronger at this point. We are ranked #3 and WVU is ranked #66 according to Team Rankkngs website.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Our defense is SUBSTANTIALLY better and that is why we are going to whip your ass.

Trying to pick a fight...

Mean Purple

4 West Virginia 225.0
5 TCU 229.0

Your coach is drunk. (JK)

Mountaineerlegion

TCU gives up 323 yds per game compared to 450 for WVU and our opponents are much stronger at this point. We are ranked #3 and WVU is ranked #66 according to Team Rankkngs website.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Our defense is SUBSTANTIALLY better and that is why we are going to whip your ass.

Trying to pick a fight...

My post you quoted was a response to his post about WRs and Oline. You posted total yds, but I think you know that. The discrepancy is a result of the fact we were abused by KU's running back.

Your strength of schedule point is obviously valid.

Any comments on the WR, Oline discussion?

Not interested in the internet fight; they're highly overrated. We have smack board on our site though.

Mountaineerlegion

This reminds me...
Did they ever stop the pc crap and let the Mountaineer go back to hunting with the musket? As an outdoorsman, I find that to be a great unofficial tradition.

To the best of my knowledge the "understanding" between the Mountaineer(s) and the University is hunting with the rifle is still a no-go. That said, there are still many schools in WV that close for opening day of deer season. It would not surprise me if the public "understanding" was followed by a wink and a statement of "don't make us look bad".

Really does suck that they had to put the kibosh on publicizing it. I was a biologist for a long time and hunt, often with a black powder rifle, and know how essential hunting is to the environment. Many so called "environmentalists" want to end hunting and don't have the foggiest idea how devastating that would be for the environment.

Last edited:

SuperTFrog

My post you quoted was a response to his post about WRs and Oline. You posted total yds, but I think you know that. The discrepancy is a result of the fact we were abused by KU's running back.

Your strength of schedule point is obviously valid.

Any comments on the WR, Oline discussion?

Not interested in the internet fight; they're highly overrated. We have smack board on our site though.
Why would I address a point that was clearly articulated that points to an advantage in WVU's favor when I can cherry pick stats that make me feel better about the game?

Mountaineerlegion

Why would I address a point that was clearly articulated that points to an advantage in WVU's favor when I can cherry pick stats that make me feel better about the game?

Touche! I guess I wouldn't either. Fight the fights you can win and avoid the others. Sun Tzu approves.

I thought there was a chance you were aware of some mitigating factors to the points I made. For instance, I mentioned that our defensive ranking was due to a KU RB shredding our defense. The rest of the story is we were down 8 players for that game. Some never started, one of which was our best LB, and others went down with injuries during the game. Our LB corps played terribly without their leader...over pursued, missed gaps, etc. So, while I acknowledge the data is in your favor regarding defenses, I'm not going to give up hope based on that stat.

Latest posts