• The KillerFrogs

Rivals.com: Without a conference, BYU football fans are wandering pioneers without a home

njustus7

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ycn-8921273

"... As an independent, the Cougars will also be able to keep all of their payout money from bowl games, no longer having to share with the MWC freeloaders still living in their parents' basements (I'm looking in your general direction, UNLV and Wyoming). However, the bowl game revenues will only be a significant source of income if BYU can advance beyond its annual appearance in the Las Vegas Bowl, which is the only event in Vegas that can be less exciting than a free Circus Circus performance.

Lastly, the ultimate goal for the football program is to repeat the 1984 feat of winning a national championship. This was never going to happen in the MWC with the current BCS format, a system which non-BCS conferences believe was the brainchild of Mao Zedong, written by Hitler, and protected today by Satan himself. Under the right circumstances, there is now an outside possibility BYU fans can hope for a shot at the national championship.

While these benefits should advance the institution of BYU's football program, it does little for me as a fan. In fact, it is going to make watching BYU football less enjoyable. While the MWC had more warts than a TCU Horned Frog, I'm still conflicted about seeing BYU have no conference affiliation. While I understand the decision to go independent, as a fan I just don't like it..."

froginaustin

How long before hypersensitive BYU fans show up to whine and complain about everything said in the opinion piece, that's not square with BYU talking points?

HG73

Their biggest problem will be scheduling. The Pac won't play them with Utah in conference. The MWC certainly shouldn't play them, but some schools may. It'll be a steady diet of WAC teams and the few "name" teams that play them early in the season. Like the blogger said, if they start 2-2 there is nothing for the team to play for, no conference championship or big bowl. Pretty dull for the fans too.