• The KillerFrogs

Ride, Sally, Ride

PhillyFrog

No apologies if this has been posted a priori.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/09/AR2011010902218.html

FinanceFrog

great article. i don't agree with all of her solutions, but i support most of them.

college football is a bubble that one day will pop. here's the most telling paragraph from the article:

"Nearly 80 percent of major athletic programs lose money, to the tune of an average of $9.9 million annually. At 44 percent of the institutions playing major college football, revenues did not cover the cost of the team. About $1.8 billion in student fees and university funds went to covering the gaps in 2009-10, according to a USA Today study. "

coaches salaries are skyrocketing. cheating is everywhere, and blatant. players that are given full rides to college see the inside of a jail more than they do a classroom. the bcs cartel has a strangle hold on the game. stadiums are being expanded. budgets are ballooning.

at what point does it stop? it stops when fans stop purchasing tickets to the games and no longer support the programs, or decrease their support. it stops when university presidents stop funding the budget gaps. it stops when people wake up to the fact that their university spent $10 million in order for their team to play in the fight hunger bowl.

Cougar/Frog

I like the 10-game season--- it would make it easier to get a playoff going.

How about a couple more changes:

1. No FCS games, or if you play one, you are ineligible for a BCS bowl game.

2. No more than 7 home games per year with a 12 game schedule.

3. The return of the 25k minimum average attendance......if you can't get 25k, you don't deserve to be a FBS school.

FinanceFrog

i would gladly take a 10-game season if there was a playoff at the end.

i think her best idea is at the end of the article, under #6: players that get paid should have to repay the schools for their scholarship.

$mooth

How about a couple more changes:

1. No FCS games, or if you play one, you are ineligible for a BCS bowl game.

2. No more than 7 home games per year with a 12 game schedule.

3. The return of the 25k minimum average attendance......if you can't get 25k, you don't deserve to be a FBS school.

I tend to agree, but why should there be a minimum attendance? If a team is competitive by the rest of the rules, why should we care how much they draw? This should be about competition. Not attendance. Not profit. It's the same arguments that are used against TCU (We don't sell out; we don't have the DFW TV market; etc)

Frog DJ

great article. i don't agree with all of her solutions, but i support most of them.

college football is a bubble that one day will pop. here's the most telling paragraph from the article:

coaches salaries are skyrocketing. cheating is everywhere, and blatant. players that are given full rides to college see the inside of a jail more than they do a classroom. the bcs cartel has a strangle hold on the game. stadiums are being expanded. budgets are ballooning.

at what point does it stop? it stops when fans stop purchasing tickets to the games and no longer support the programs, or decrease their support. it stops when university presidents stop funding the budget gaps. it stops when people wake up to the fact that their university spent $10 million in order for their team to play in the fight hunger bowl.
Finance, I agree with almost everything you say except that.

Certainly, there are way too many college athletes getting trouble with the law, but I think you'd be hard pressed to statistically back up a claim there are more full-scholarship players in jail than in class.

Otherwise, I think you make some very solid points.

Go Frogs!

Cougar/Frog

I tend to agree, but why should there be a minimum attendance? If a team is competitive by the rest of the rules, why should we care how much they draw? This should be about competition. Not attendance. Not profit. It's the same arguments that are used against TCU (We don't sell out; we don't have the DFW TV market; etc)

The minimum attendance issue (which the NCAA did have for a short time a decade ago) is so that small schools (read Sun Belt and others of their ilk) are competing in the same level as schools with similar support.

One of the most significant criticism of the Wetzel plan is that it would give every FBS conference champion at spot in the playoff, thereby hurting schools which played much harder schedules in much harder conferences. A way around this would be to reduce the number of FBS schools.

Teams that don't average 25k are mostly cupcakes and guaranteed wins. This is why the Big Ten, SEC, etc. load up on these games. They know these programs make their budgets by being the tomato can of the week. And since only 5 FBS wins are required for bowl eligibility (plus 1 FCS win), a team in a 8-team conference (read Big East pre TCU) can literally play 5 OOC games versus teams worse than most FCS schools and still back into a bowl game with just 1 conference win. A 8-game conference schedule means 4 bought wins and 2 conference wins --- hardly worthy of a bowl game or recognition.

Are there exceptions? Sure, but Idaho with its 15k stadium should be competing at the FCS level --- it makes a lot more sense.

82 teams averaged over 25k. Only 1 AQ school, Washington State, averaged under 25k (and barely did so). Of the MWC schools, UNLV, Colorado State, NM, and Wyoming all averaged below 25k (but all above 20k), which shows these schools, even in down years (or down decades for some) still have decent support.

No teams from the Sun Belt, MAC, or future WAC (after the departures to the MWC) averaged 25k and only just over half of CUSA did (Houston, ECU, UCF, Southern Miss, UTEP, Rice, and Marshall)

If you draw the line at 20k, every MWC is included (and all the new ones except Nevada at just under 20k), and most of CUSA makes it, but only two MAC schools (Central Michigan and Temple, both coming off great seasons) and 1 Sun Belt team makes the cut, but no schools in the new WAC.

So, in the end, there is a big difference between non-AQs between quality non-AQs deserving of inclusion into the system and junk non-AQs which are really uncompetitive at the FBS level. Attendance is just one measure of this. Significantly, the teams that make the cut were almost all members of CFA prior to its destruction (outside of the Big Ten/Pac-10 of course).

The BCS made a huge mistake by excluding the teams of the MWC and CUSA, given that these schools were most all among the top tier of college football prior to the BCS....

LVfrog

I really liked the article, as Sally makes a compelling argument for change. The reduction in scholarships, I think, is very much needed. AD's from around the country just continue to grow at an alarming rate and something needs to be done.

Frog DJ

yeah, got a little carried away. was hoping no one would notice.
:biggrin:

However, your point is still very valid. Far too many full-scholarship athletes wind up on the police blotter, and colleges and athletic programs need to do something about it.

I'm a big believer in redemption, especially when it comes to 18 to 22-year old college students. I certainly made my share of stupid, youthful mistakes during those years.

However, if more of these entitled young thugs had to pay a meaningful price for their transgressions, others would have second thoughts about trying to pull such stunts.

Without going into great detail I made a bad decision when I was 19, and nobody bailed me out. I had to suffer the consequences of my inane actions, and I became a better man for it.

I'm not suggesting every kid who screws up should be banished from the team and kicked out of school, but when they only endure a slap on the wrist they laugh at authority.

Unless schools, and administrators stop acting as enablers for the athletically gifted criminals on their rosters things will never change.

Go Frogs!

Endless Purple

Can't say that I agree with her points entirely.

I do agree with the punishment aspects of #6. These young men need to be taught right and wrong, and as mentioned, a slap on the wrist is not doing it.

I don't buy into reducing scholarships. The 15 extra slots will not reduce the budget by that much, and in return there are 15 more students that will not get a chance at a college education to better themselves (per school).

I do like the idea of requiring freshmen to study instead of play their first year. Though I would have to think about it a little more.

The idea of capping salaries, I like as a concept. Instead of using attendance as a way of judging FBS teams, use a minimum spending level on salaries and facilities to qualify. Then cap the max level like baseball does. Those that go over, pay a penalty.

She talks about reducing costs in a couple of points, then in #4 she cuts income? Wasn't part of the point to make it more affordable. Less games means less revenue. I don't have a problem with 12 games. From a competition standpoint I would like to see a cap on # of home games per team. 8 home/4 road is not fair scheduling just because you can do it.

BCS isn't right, but until I know what will replace it, I won't say get rid of it.