• The KillerFrogs

Retired Numbers at TCU

tcudoc

This discussion comes up every off season. Here is what I recall from previous year's discussions:
-With 85 scholarship players and walk-ons, the number of jersey numbers required to field a team is a lot. Taking 6-7 of those off the table has an impact and you then have people wearing the same numbers which confuses fans and probably is not ideal for the players either.
-Lilly-did not complete degree from TCU--->no retired number (I personally disagree with the idea)
-Swink-everyone thinks it should be retired and have never heard a good reason why not. Probably because Marvin Godbolt/Aaron Brown would be confused.
-Ki Aldrich's number should probably be retired or honored as well.
-LT's jersey honored, but not retired as noted above.

My personal feeling is to give it some time. It seems there was some discussion of Jeff Ballard as an all time great because of his great accomplishments during his time here. Dalton came along and surpassed those, making talk of Ballard fade a bit. I think if we look back in 5 years and his accomplishments and impact stand the test of time, then he should be honored. I think it is premature to discuss it yet because it is difficult to see the big picture. There is no doubt that he will always be considered one of TCU's finest, but then so will Kerley and a handful of others on last year's team (Carder, Brock etc). I think time and how the accomplishments hold up in a few years will be the key.
On a final note, in the future when you hear the name "Dalton," do you think that Andy has reached the pinnacle so high that people will think of him instead of Reeves Dalton? That by itself would be a pretty cool accomplishment.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Aaron Brown?
:dry:

No, there was another No. 23 RB a few years before AB ... should have won the Heisman his junior year.

dwla-2005-Jim-Swink.jpg

23.jim.swink.jpg

SWINK.jpg

U1121557_display_image.jpg

anom

Huh???

Are u even remotely familiar with who LT is? I'm guessing you are 19.

To say that LT's TCU legacy (which does include his hall of fame NFL career & 'ambassadorship') "aren't even comparable"...is retarded.

No offense.

Don't think Andy gets a # retired. Just my opinion, but he isn't quite up there with Davey, Sammy, & LT...

I would say the TCU legacy of Dalton is right there next to LT's if not higher. Dalton had a career at TCU that included back to back 12-0 seasons. LT was here right at the start and has done wonders for the program. Both have done wonders.

I feel that dalton will grow his TCU legacy as he turns to the NFL. Maybe not as quick but it could be just as memorable.

Personally, i think dalton deserves the honor.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
So the only thing missing for Dalton was being invited to the Heisman Award presentation as one of the top four finalists?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Swink once made such a spectacular run against Texas that the sports writer wrote he made 15 defenders miss him ... or something close to that. Was Grantland Rice the writer of that? Leap???

OmniscienceFrog

I love L.T. as much as the next guy, but he didnt take TCU to the heights Dalton did.

No, he was just the catalyst behind a program going from a one win season, and a laughingstock, to a ten win season, and the brink of a BSC game, in his four year TCU career. TCU won 11 games in each of the two seasons prior to Andy taking over.

ftwfrog

Numbers being retired in football just seems unstable. There are too many players on a team. The whole idea is a bit old school. I started to look up numbers being retired in college football and pro football and it seems that most numbers were retired pre 1970.

I hate the Cowboys, but I like like that they don't retire numbers. Didn't Quincy wear Dandy Don's number?? Some of these NFL teams with their retired numbers are going to get in trouble soon and run out, and when I see a player wearing #00 will make me sick. Heck the Chiefs, and all of their super bowl victories have 11 numbers retired. Could you tell me who #37 retired by the Niners was??? A lot of spare NFL franchises have over 10 numbers retired.

Yes, that was a bit of a rant, but I say, "no" to any more numbers being retired. As with the Cowboys, it's going to take some guts for a QB to ask for #8. It should be that way here. If a Qb asks for #14 hopefully GPat will say, "you know son, those are some pretty big shoes to fill. You wear #14, I'll expect you to act and play like #14." :biggrin:

Mike Brooks

Will the new stadium have "Ring of Honor" capability? That could be one way to honor former players without tying up the numbers which is hard to do in College with 85 to 100 guys on the squad.

BIG DADDY

The hard part here is that our criteria is always changing. Yes LT took us to new heights and he was for the most part a one man show, however there were alot of great players that allowed him to become who he became. His O-line the big uglies probably should have their own place in our history. And I think Dalton took us higher then we thought we could ever achieve being a non-aq team. I am in favor of honoring Dalton.

This being said, I think we need to come up with a new way of honoring our great players. I think we need something outside the East stands when they are complete that can honor individual players from their respective positions. I think we must take inot account what a player does in collegedue to the fact that some might not go on to greatness in the NFL. For instance look at TeeJay Jonhson, AWESOME player but he has other plans and he knows that he could make the NFL but he has bigger goals. So i think it is great that they make the NFL and have a good career, but tthe pros have something for them at the end of the line it is not our job to recognize them for the pro days but for the college days.

For instance: Please feel free to add to this or whatever, this is just a start of something that was thrown together

Special Teams
Logo Tevasu
Michael Reeder
Jeremy Kerley

O-Line
The Big Uglies (Payne, Keathley, and whoever else was on that line)

QB
Baugh
Dalton

WR/TE
Blackwell

RB
LT
Swink
Layne, and the only reason for this is he is up there with the big uglies for paving the way for LT

D-Line
A Schobel
Hughes

Linebacker Corps

DB
Priest
Sanders
Johnson

Trelvis

No, he was just the catalyst behind a program going from a one win season, and a laughingstock, to a ten win season, and the brink of a BSC game, in his four year TCU career. TCU won 11 games in each of the two seasons prior to Andy taking over.

Andy took what L.T. did and elevated the program to heights none of us imagined. Daltons TCU career > L.T.'s TCU career. Im not trying to talk down on any of the players because they are all great, but Dalton broke Sammys records. That means something in my eyes.

Latest posts