• The KillerFrogs

Retired Numbers at TCU

While AD has been one of the great players that have passed thru TCU..I'm not a fan of retiring his number as well..We do have an Ex-Letterman Hall of Fame that he will be honored in..It would be really cool to have those honored displayed somewhere in the new ACS...I do think Jim Swink 's 23 should be retired, we'll never know how great of an NFL back he could have been, but he could have been gold jacket material....

jake102

Andy took what L.T. did and elevated the program to heights none of us imagined. Daltons TCU career > L.T.'s TCU career. Im not trying to talk down on any of the players because they are all great, but Dalton broke Sammys records. That means something in my eyes.

Dalton also won a Rose Bowl. And he was arguably the best player on the best team in the nation.

Kaiser

No to retiring more numbers. Keep Baugh & Davey's numbers retired, but do a TCU Ring of Honor type thing. Honor Lilly, Swink, LT, Martin, Myer, and later on Patterson.

Maybe honor Dalton down the road.

Horned Toad

Andy took what L.T. did and elevated the program to heights none of us imagined. Daltons TCU career > L.T.'s TCU career. Im not trying to talk down on any of the players because they are all great, but Dalton broke Sammys records. That means something in my eyes.
Damn straight it means something! I guess retiring a number is problematic. I like "honoring" the number as an alternative.

Leap Frog

Swink once made such a spectacular run against Texas that the sports writer wrote he made 15 defenders miss him ... or something close to that. Was Grantland Rice the writer of that? Leap???

The article I remember was in the DMN on 5/20/2000 and was written by Frank Luksa. Luksa was at the game in 1955 as a student at Texas, and calls the 62 yard run the greatest he ever saw. He also recalls the 40,000 candles UT lit to hex Swink and the Frogs, and says Jim blew them all out.

BTW, if we are talking retiring numbers, Swink is the #1 student-athlete ever at TCU. But I have been told by the athletic dept. that no more jerseys will be retired, but will be honored in some way.

Another thing, I love the Lilly legend, but Don Floyd was the better college lineman. Pros is a different matter, Lilly was still improving when he got to the Cowboys.

TCUSA

Sometimes you need some time after them to truly appreciate them. I think Dalton gets his jersey retired. Won't bet on when. But it will be.

TCUMed

Will the new stadium have "Ring of Honor" capability? That could be one way to honor former players without tying up the numbers which is hard to do in College with 85 to 100 guys on the squad.

I believe the photos of the stadium indicate there will be one

Houston Frog

First off, let me say that I think we should honor or retire Dalton's number (whichever, I don't care). He is up there with the greats at TCU and won us a Rose Bowl while being the all-time winningest QB in our history. He led us to the program's greatest heights since the 30's.

That being said, measuring LT's career against Dalton's career based on the team's accomplishments during their time in school, is not fair to LT. You have to look at the setting they stepped into and think about who could have done what they did, considering their surroundings. How many RBs in the history of football could have come into TCU and carried the team on their back in the fashion that LT did? How many could have run for 406 against UTEP, how many could have led the nation in rushing for however many years, how many could have taken a 1-win team to almost reaching a BCS game? I would say that it's not very many. He was (is) a truly elite RB, one of the best that the world has ever seen. The fact that we didn't win the Rose Bowl while he was @ TCU wasn't something that he had any type of control over.

Now, what Dalton did in his career at TCU was also very very impressive, but I'm not ready to say that only he and a couple other QBs in the history of football could have pulled it off. Dalton inherited a much better situation at TCU than LT did, there is so much more talent on this team from top to bottom than there was in the late 90's.