• The KillerFrogs

Recruiting: what now?

TCUhornedfrog93

I'm curious about what our needs are now that we have only 7 slots left as it appears. Feisty, or anyone with an opinion or knowledge in this area? What is the ideal scenario for how we fill these last 7 slots?

PurplePutt

I'm curious about what our needs are now that we have only 7 slots left as it appears. Feisty, or anyone with an opinion or knowledge in this area? What is the ideal scenario for how we fill these last 7 slots?

Why does it appear we have 7 slots left?

I heard Gonzales might not qualify? We know Shutt is gone. Pretty sure someone else would have to not make it in or someone else who is a junior for eligibility this year would have to not return or not get a 5th year? I'm not convinced there will be more than 15-16?

TCUhornedfrog93

Why does it appear we have 7 slots left?

I heard Gonzales might not qualify? We know Shutt is gone. Pretty sure someone else would have to not make it in or someone else who is a junior for eligibility this year would have to not return or not get a 5th year? I'm not convinced there will be more than 15-16?

I'm not positive really, just last I had heard. That's why I started the thread, to hear from those more knowledgeable in this area about how recruiting is supposed to progress from here. I had just heard somewhere that someone thought there would be 17 in this class but that was awhile back so maybe they were just figuring more would leave than there has been.

ThisIsOurTime

Our priorities are in my own personal order:

Colin Blake
Dominque Wheeler
2 OT(Starts,Keenan, Ifedi, etc.)
1 OG(Lutui)
1 Playmaker could be any skill position (Fuller/Lawry/McNeil/Devall/Late bloomer)

If we take more than 6, we might take:
1 K (looking at a K out of Florida) or a LB/S prospect..

Gunner

Can't believe that we wouldn't take 3 OL's if they were the right guys. Now that we have Fields, I bet they take a defensive tackle, but haven't seen a hint of who that might be....

PurplePutt

Not trying to pimp you 93. Have been trying to sort out the numbers for a while.

Seems like I remember someone saying Walker Dille left the team? He is on the gofrogs roster though. We know Shutt is gone. If Dille is in fact gone, then there are 16 openings for the fall of 12 if nobody else leaves or if all the kids from the 11 class qualify and show up this fall. Now I have also heard that Gonzales might not make it in because he is a grade risk? I hate to throw that out but it would take one of the 11 guys not showing up or another upper classman not show up in fall of 12 to make room for 17. Chris Scott will also be a 5th year senior in 12. Do they give him the 5th year? That is another possibility to open up 17 slots for the 2012 recruiting class.

TCUhornedfrog93

You're fine, I didn't take it that way. I'm not in the know on all the people leaving and having trouble qualifying so I was just using the last number I had heard. It's a good predicament to be in but I feel like we have so many great versatile wr/db/ath types interested in tcu but we don't have room for all of them. After watching Dominique wheeler's video, he'd be the one I'd like to see sign on the most. I'd loveto get fuller too but I just can't figure out where we'd end up using him because, while he'd be great at qb, we already have two in this class. And also, like mentioned earlier, I wonder if/who we're looking at for dt.

PurplePutt

You're fine, I didn't take it that way. I'm not in the know on all the people leaving and having trouble qualifying so I was just using the last number I had heard. It's a good predicament to be in but I feel like we have so many great versatile wr/db/ath types interested in tcu but we don't have room for all of them. After watching Dominique wheeler's video, he'd be the one I'd like to see sign on the most. I'd loveto get fuller too but I just can't figure out where we'd end up using him because, while he'd be great at qb, we already have two in this class. And also, like mentioned earlier, I wonder if/who we're looking at for dt.

I hear you. I hope we have 17 slots available. If we do have room for 7 then I like:

WR-Wheeler
Ath-Fuller
OL-Starts
OL-Keenan
DE-Duvall
LB-Nance
K--there is a kid from Florida who can kick and punt and getting a good one of those may be the most important of all.

PurplePutt

Not trying to pimp you 93. Have been trying to sort out the numbers for a while.

Seems like I remember someone saying Walker Dille left the team? He is on the gofrogs roster though. We know Shutt is gone. If Dille is in fact gone, then there are 16 openings for the fall of 12 if nobody else leaves or if all the kids from the 11 class qualify and show up this fall. Now I have also heard that Gonzales might not make it in because he is a grade risk? I hate to throw that out but it would take one of the 11 guys not showing up or another upper classman not show up in fall of 12 to make room for 17. Chris Scott will also be a 5th year senior in 12. Do they give him the 5th year? That is another possibility to open up 17 slots for the 2012 recruiting class.

I must be dreaming up that Dille thing. He is on the gofrogs roster and also on the PM roster. Must have been a BS rumor if I heard it at all?

maximilian

I hear you. I hope we have 17 slots available. If we do have room for 7 then I like:

WR-Wheeler
Ath-Fuller
OL-Starts
OL-Keenan
DE-Duvall
LB-Nance
K--there is a kid from Florida who can kick and punt and getting a good one of those may be the most important of all.

For some reason, I thought we had already offered Nance, then one day, his offer disappeared on Rivals. Guess they're seeing how he recovers from an injury. Has offers from ND, USC, LSU, Tennessee, etc. I'd think we'd be all over a violent LB like that from Trinity.

Gunner

Starts wants to play DT. McGee, Lutui, and Keenan are next in line, maybe for OL. Got a feeling we get Starts. Ifedi, Lutui, and Keenan, I think want TCU, if they get the call. Schomp is another legacy who wants TCU, still a possibility.

asleep003

Our priorities are in my own personal order:

Colin Blake
Dominque Wheeler
2 OT(Starts,Keenan, Ifedi, etc.)
1 OG(Lutui)
1 Playmaker could be any skill position (Fuller/Lawry/McNeil/Devall/Late bloomer)

If we take more than 6, we might take:
1 K (looking at a K out of Florida) or a LB/S prospect..

Certainly hope your scenario plays out, or something very close to it... as we seem to "usually" go lite on nos in the trenches and always seem barely 2 deep strong there, while 4 deep strong in most other positions(skilled players) most of the time. It always makes me nerveous....

Think about it, the uglies represent at least 40% of the 22 starters, yet we just take in a hand full or less most years and normally 2 OLs or 3 OLs(at best) is the norm. Now, is the time to get those good 3/4 star OL guys that want TCU... before they go to Tech/Houston/Iowa St. or whereever, while we're(enamorously) romancing some 4/5 star primadonas who may be looking for the Big School culture anyway(or wht ever their thinking is).
Cheers!

asleep003

Coach P and staff have it figured out. :biggrin:

You're right, they have... now they are in a different era though and may be distracted by all the bling bling recruits interest in TCU, which could disrupt what has been the perfect formula... except for a concern of a 'what if' the OL takes several hits scenario ... as we've been blessed the past 3 years, considering our normal OL depth.

Many seem very comfortable recruiting 17/4.4 - 4.6 skilled players and only 3 - 5 OL/DL uglies. A barely good 2 deep OL still makes some of us nervous(ie. the thinness on the DL at the Rose Bowl showed up...thankful WU stopped pounding up the middle til late; a gift). Also 2011 for sure can't afford much loss on the OL... It seems our only known or primarily most weak link.
Cheers!