• The KillerFrogs

RE: 5-18-11 Big East Expansion Round-Up: TV Contracts

Screaming Flea

Titled above by Ken DeCelles // www.voodoofive.com

Seems the Big East TV contract is more valuable with Villanova than any other obvious current options: ie UCF or Houston. One reason why is the TV networks likely put so much value in Nova b/c of the massive Philly TV mkt. Quoting..it is twice the size of the Orlando mkt and almost a million households bigger than Houston. Networks want ratings and inventory. So which school has the most potential to add ratings over 10 to 20 yrs?

ECU is hardly mentioned if at all.

Pretty interesting blog. You can read its content entirely in above listed voodoofive.com

froginaustin

Anything wrong with posting a link to the VooDoo blog?

http://www.voodoofive.com/2011/5/18/2167471/big-east-expansion-villanova-byu-tv-contract#storyjump

All of the BYU-to-the-Big-East stories that I have seen have as their only source that BYU "deepshadeofblue" blog, for what that's worth.

angelo's frog

This is why if Nova doesn't step up, Houston is the more likely target than UCF -- more television sets. Evidently that is all that matters anymore. I think Houston is the #10 media market and Orlando is 19 or 20. I don't know how they calculate media markets but the MSA for Houston is about 5.9 million and Orlando is about 2.1 million in population. I assume the media market #s are similar so Houston's media market is almost 3x the size of Orlando plus the USF people think that they already have a lot of that market covered because Orlando and Tampa are so close to each other. Houston's primary obstacle is probably facilities.

Big Frog II

I don't have anything against Villanova if they will make a commitment and have a decent place to play. Unfortunately those seem to be big ifs.

angelo's frog

Interesting quote from Larry Scott in that article about how adding two teams in the mountain time zone increased the value of their package. That would also seem to give UH a leg up since you would then have two central time zone teams. I Mizzou and the Kansas schools are probably a pipe dream but that would give us a killer TV contract.

Big Frog II

I have a feeling Houston gets added for the TV contract alone since Villanova does not appear to be ready to move up in the next few years.

An-Cap Frog

[quote name='angelo's frog' timestamp='1305908578' post='837959']
This is why if Nova doesn't step up, Houston is the more likely target than UCF -- more television sets. Evidently that is all that matters anymore. I think Houston is the #10 media market and Orlando is 19 or 20. I don't know how they calculate media markets but the MSA for Houston is about 5.9 million and Orlando is about 2.1 million in population. I assume the media market #s are similar so Houston's media market is almost 3x the size of Orlando plus the USF people think that they already have a lot of that market covered because Orlando and Tampa are so close to each other. Houston's primary obstacle is probably facilities.
[/quote]

About 10% of the Houston area would watch UH sports the rest would rather watch the Aggies or Longwhores...

Limey Frog

I have a feeling Houston gets added for the TV contract alone since Villanova does not appear to be ready to move up in the next few years.

I don't think that will happen. Based on what I've read from BE beat writers, they all seem to feel that a shift in thinking took place within the BE football schools after adding TCU. Basically they went cold on Villanova after seeing that BE football could make somewhat unconventional moves and add members of real substance, rather than just find the necessary numbers to survive in any form. I think Oliver Luck made abundantly clear that the next football member must be a clearly solid choice, and that the TV contract must at least match what the ACC schools are making. Houston fulfills neither of those criteria. BYU, on the other hand...

Army Frog Fan

Seems to me like Houston would be the easiest for the Hoops schools to swallow as well, since they at least have some history, albeit 20 year old history.

One other thing to consider, assuming tv sets is all that drives the decsion: As GFW mentioned, Houston doesn't really wacth or follow the Cougars. The same could be said somewhat of the DFW metroplex and TCU. But if the Big East added SMU, they would have a lot better chance at gaining a significant portion of the DFW metroplex share, assuming SMU continues to improve under June Jones. Just food for thought.

West Coast Johnny

Titled above by Ken DeCelles // www.voodoofive.com

Seems the Big East TV contract is more valuable with Villanova than any other obvious current options: ie UCF or Houston. One reason why is the TV networks likely put so much value in Nova b/c of the massive Philly TV mkt. Quoting..it is twice the size of the Orlando mkt and almost a million households bigger than Houston. Networks want ratings and inventory. So which school has the most potential to add ratings over 10 to 20 yrs?

ECU is hardly mentioned if at all.

Pretty interesting blog. You can read its content entirely in above listed voodoofive.com

I would rather be in a strong football conference with poor TV ratings than a poor football conference with good ratings.

angelo's frog

How about this? Add Houston (all sports), AFA and BYU (football only) and divide into two divisions like this for football. This gets you into three time zones, one top ten media market, the state of Utah and SLC market and two programs with national followings.

PITT

WVA

UCONN

RUTGERS

USF

CUSE

CINCY

L'VILLE

TCU

UH

AFA

BYU

froginaustin

Seems to me like Houston would be the easiest for the Hoops schools to swallow as well, since they at least have some history, albeit 20 year old history.

One other thing to consider, assuming tv sets is all that drives the decsion: As GFW mentioned, Houston doesn't really wacth or follow the Cougars. The same could be said somewhat of the DFW metroplex and TCU. But if the Big East added SMU, they would have a lot better chance at gaining a significant portion of the DFW metroplex share, assuming SMU continues to improve under June Jones. Just food for thought.
Not to be too much of a chest thumper, but I think any bandwagon BE fans in Austin as well as in the metromess will watch TCU for our football. The only people that will watch SMU are their alums, those few that care about SMU football.

I don't think SMOOO can pull its weight in a BCS league, at least now now and likely not for a long time.

HG73

Like I've said all along, the TV boys will determine who is invited, if anyone. They obviously thought Nova added value and that was why Nova was invited. Nova can't deliver (no surprise, too small) so the networks will recommend someone else. BYU is a problem for two reasons: first, a football only invite is probably just a little more $$ than their ESPN deal. Second, BYU would jump at an all sports invite, but their no Sunday policy would ruin one of the best TV events around, the BigEast basketball tournament. BYU really wants in the Big12 so they can be Texas' biitch. That leaves the CUSA crew of Houston, UCF, and ECU. I doubt the TV boys are too excited about any of those three. And I don't see the chance of getting any Big12 north teams.

One thing's for sure, whoever is invited will be because the networks wanted them.

Texas Otto

Like I've said all along, the TV boys will determine who is invited, if anyone. They obviously thought Nova added value and that was why Nova was invited. Nova can't deliver (no surprise, too small) so the networks will recommend someone else. BYU is a problem for two reasons: first, a football only invite is probably just a little more $$ than their ESPN deal. Second, BYU would jump at an all sports invite, but their no Sunday policy would ruin one of the best TV events around, the BigEast basketball tournament. BYU really wants in the Big12 so they can be Texas' biitch. That leaves the CUSA crew of Houston, UCF, and ECU. I doubt the TV boys are too excited about any of those three. And I don't see the chance of getting any Big12 north teams.

One thing's for sure, whoever is invited will be because the networks wanted them.

One minor correction:
The BE basketball tourney does not play on Sunday as it begins Wednesday and ends with a prime time Saturday night championship game. That is all.

HG73

One minor correction:
The BE basketball tourney does not play on Sunday as it begins Wednesday and ends with a prime time Saturday night championship game. That is all.

GREAT! Let's invite BYU for a full membership and stay at 10. Finally, a non-football tournament that BYU doesn't ruin by not playing on Sundays. TV should love it, dominant team in their market (SLC) and games over three time zones. I hate BYU, but if they get us a better TV deal I'm all for it.

mtmedlin

Why not take BYU, Air Force and ????... damnit, its always the "and" that gets me. If we get BYU, I'll be happy but if were going to go west, then lets go west for the next 3. I know yall hate Houston but with BYU and Air force, they really do make sense (and before I get accused, no I am not saying that just because their not UCF) We have alot of east coast markets. TCU really helps with Texas. BYU actually helps with several markets. I didnt realize they have a large following in NY, Washington DC, Texas, Indianapolis and of course out west. Air force isnt the strongest candidate but they add national appeal, interesting and exciting style of play, a market were not in and strengthens our western side, plus TCU, BYU and Air Force already have some level or rivalry. I understand not wanting Houston but really, who else could we add out west that would help. "IF" the B12 were to ever disolve (which I now doubt) we still have room for 4 more teams. 1 east and 3 west would give great balance.

Cougar/Frog

What kind of market penetration would Nova have in Philly? 5% or maybe 10%? The article is Philly's to push Nova into the Big East. Realistically, Temple would be a much better Philly representative than Nova and it has almost Philly market penetration.

What a joke!

HG73

Why not take BYU, Air Force and ????... damnit, its always the "and" that gets me. If we get BYU, I'll be happy but if were going to go west, then lets go west for the next 3. I know yall hate Houston but with BYU and Air force, they really do make sense (and before I get accused, no I am not saying that just because their not UCF) We have alot of east coast markets. TCU really helps with Texas. BYU actually helps with several markets. I didnt realize they have a large following in NY, Washington DC, Texas, Indianapolis and of course out west. Air force isnt the strongest candidate but they add national appeal, interesting and exciting style of play, a market were not in and strengthens our western side, plus TCU, BYU and Air Force already have some level or rivalry. I understand not wanting Houston but really, who else could we add out west that would help. "IF" the B12 were to ever disolve (which I now doubt) we still have room for 4 more teams. 1 east and 3 west would give great balance.

If we could get Air Force why couldn't we get Army and Navy? Then we wouldn't need BYU. Believe me, you won't like them and it won't take long. Or just add BYU and stay at 10.

Houston sucks.