• The KillerFrogs

Question on basketball rules...

MCFROG III

Just noticed something I've never thought about in watching the women's basketball game vs KU today. A KU & TCU player were scrambling for a loose ball on along the baseline. Just as the KU player grabbed the ball away from our player, then tossing the ball to her teammate just inside the baseline out-of-bounds strip under the basket, her ponytail was on the wood OB before she got rid of the ball. Nothing was called, & I wondered whether that would technically be OB, since I would suppose it's is part of her physical body. Is that something that is not called, if observed by a ref? This happened fast enough it may have been missed, or whomever was just not in the spot to see it.

Just curious. Anybody know?

Armadillo

Just noticed something I've never thought about in watching the women's basketball game vs KU today. A KU & TCU player were scrambling for a loose ball on along the baseline. Just as the KU player grabbed the ball away from our player, then tossing the ball to her teammate just inside the baseline out-of-bounds strip under the basket, her ponytail was on the wood OB before she got rid of the ball. Nothing was called, & I wondered whether that would technically be OB, since I would suppose it's is part of her physical body. Is that something that is not called, if observed by a ref? This happened fast enough it may have been missed, or whomever was just not in the spot to see it.

Don't just ask "anybody" you fool. Only ZebraFrog can answer this. You must summon him.

Perhaps a bucket of chicken? Wait, that's baseball.

Pharm Frog

My understanding is any part of you is any part of you - including hair, shoe lace or a headband

But probably to ticky tac to see or call I would guess

That's my understanding. The rule used to read something like: the player is out-of-bounds when there is any contact with the floor or non-person on our outside the boundary.

froglash88

Announcers yesterday in one of the B12 games didn’t understand a rule. Ball was inbounded from the side and deflected off an offensive players hand into the back court. He went and got the ball and no backcourt was called. Announcer was claiming it was backcourt. He’s wrong because no possession was obtained in the front court. A defection does not designate possession. I’m surprised the other announcer didn’t correct him. Both probably didn’t know the rule.

I worked basketball for over 10 years, but that was a LONG time ago. In fact, I worked girls basketball when there were 3 on each end before they went to 5-on-5. That was fun. I have never seen a question like this before, therefore, I asked a friend of mine that works some D-1 ball. He said he had never seen it either and would probably not call it, but would try to get a more definitive answer sometime today.

Pharm Frog

I worked basketball for over 10 years, but that was a LONG time ago. In fact, I worked girls basketball when there were 3 on each end before they went to 5-on-5. That was fun. I have never seen a question like this before, therefore, I asked a friend of mine that works some D-1 ball. He said he had never seen it either and would probably not call it, but would try to get a more definitive answer sometime today.

I asked a ref who was the coordinator of officials in Illinois before moving down here where he officiates 3-4 high school girls games a week. He said it “should” be called but he probably wouldn’t. He said that the hair is as much a part of a player as a foot. If not, you could pull down a player by her pony tail without a foul.

I asked a ref who was the coordinator of officials in Illinois before moving down here where he officiates 3-4 high school girls games a week. He said it “should” be called but he probably wouldn’t. He said that the hair is as much a part of a player as a foot. If not, you could pull down a player by her pony tail without a foul.
I tend to agree.
In football, it is not a foul for tackling a runner is his hair is long and hanging out the back of his helmet as it's considered part of his body.

froginmn

I get that, but if a player drove the baseline with his foot inbounds but was called out because the lace touched the line, that would be darn silly.

Paint It Purple

Is that you Shorty?