• The KillerFrogs

Question for Zebra frog or any football official

A question came to mind while watching an interception in the end zone last weekend. The DB had intercepted the ball in the end zone and advanced the ball out of the end zone. While he was still in the end zone a player on his team blocked an opponent while both were in the end zone with the intercepting DB. No foul was called, but had the guy clipped the other in the end zone would a safety be called just like a holding call in the end zone?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The ball would have to come out of the end zone first, right? It has to first be in the field of play, then go back in the end zone to be a safety, correct? Though in your scenario not sure what the punishment would be since the ball was not advanced out first.

The ball would have to come out of the end zone first, right? It has to first be in the field of play, then go back in the end zone to be a safety, correct? Though in your scenario not sure what the punishment would be since the ball was not advanced out first.
The possible infraction occurred while intercepting DB was trying to advance ball out of end zone, which he eventually did. But the possible infraction occurred while intercepting player was still in the end zone. Had he been tackled trying to advance that would be a touchback and his team would have the ball at the 20. I guess because of that rule, concerning my question, a penalty of half the distance to the goal would be enforced and ball placed on the 10. If I am incorrect please inform.

The possible infraction occurred while intercepting DB was trying to advance ball out of end zone, which he eventually did. But the possible infraction occurred while intercepting player was still in the end zone. Had he been tackled trying to advance that would be a touchback and his team would have the ball at the 20. I guess because of that rule, concerning my question, a penalty of half the distance to the goal would be enforced and ball placed on the 10. If I am incorrect please inform.
From rule book: B1 intercepts a legal forward pass deep in his end zone and is unable to get out of the end zone, where he is downed. During the run, B2 clips A1:
At the B-25, 1/10 at the B-10
At the B-14, 1/10 at the B-7
In the end zone, Safety

I’m pretty sure it would be a Safety even if the DB got out of the EZ. Will check to make sure.

dkfrog

Interesting. I’m having a hard time with this enforcement and the “spirit” of the rule. I understand when something like holding on a pass play occurs in the end zone that it would be a safety because the risk of a sack is equivalent (a safety). But in the case of an interception, the risk of being tackled is only a touchback I believe.

flyfishingfrog

Interesting. I’m having a hard time with this enforcement and the “spirit” of the rule. I understand when something like holding on a pass play occurs in the end zone that it would be a safety because the risk of a sack is equivalent (a safety). But in the case of an interception, the risk of being tackled is only a touchback I believe.
exactly - stupid rule if true since I don't know how you have a safety if you were never in the field of play to begin with - and when dropping a turnover is less of a penalty than making the play, something is wrong.

SwissArmyFrog

Guess the rule-makers just said, "Hey, let's make it that if you get tackled or get a penalty in your own end zone, it is a 'safety' and the other team is awarded 2 points and the ball" regardless of the scenario.