• The KillerFrogs

Purely Hypothetical: How many bad seasons before CGP...

ZeeFrog

Now I cant eat. I'm not going to able to sleep. Why? Why? Let's just join the cusamwcsunbelt conference? The pressure is just too much to take! Boston frog is that you?

sous vide

Look, we know as a fan base that we have one of the top coaches in the nation who has built TCU into one of the top programs in the country. I think LHCGP has earned himself quite a commitment from the University and the fan base to coach for quite some time.

Well, taking the # of wins of the 2nd best team in the B12 South for the past 15 seasons we get (including bowl games)...

Min. 1st Qu. Median Mean 3rd Qu. Max.
6.0 9.0 10.0 9.6 11.0 12.0

So I guess 8 or 9 wins during the season with a bowl win would have to be considered pretty good, generally. The 6 wins was TT in 1996. Texas won the South and compiled an 8-5 season with the bowl.

Tom Brown

Darrell Dickey was the man in Denton at University of North Texas in the mid-2000s when they won 3 Sunbelt titles and went to 3 New Orlenans' Bowls. 2 years later the team slipped and he was canned.

That was because Villareal harbored bad blood for Dickey from their time at LSU. The two never got along at University of North Texas.

Darrell Dickey was the man in Denton at University of North Texas in the mid-2000s when they won 3 Sunbelt titles and went to 3 New Orlenans' Bowls. 2 years later the team slipped and he was canned. The question comes up with any good coach because not all coaches can have winning records forever. Dunham and Miller say a National Championship buys a head coach 10 years. I would say the Rose Bowl win bought GP at least 10 years. College football is cyclical, though, and teams can't stay on top forever, i.e. Florida post-Tebow, Alabama back before Fran, etc.

Darrell Dickey had 3 winning seasons in the 9 he was at North Texas. His overall record was 42-64. Yes, he won the SunBelt three times. The other 6 times he finished last or close to last. His last two years he went 2-9 and 3-9, going 3-11 in conference.

Not a good comparison to GP, who has gone 108-30 and won 5 conference championships.

Limp Lizard

Actually, fans and boosters with pull can run off good coaches. a$m ran off Slocum speaking of "good 'ol" years which were no better than what Slocum brought them. And anyone who has had a hostile boss can tell you what a hostile AD can do to you. Happens a lot. And of course, Tubbs at TCU with the perfect storm of a rocky relation with Hyman and fans/boosters who actually thought they knew more about basketball than Tubbs threw the basketball program down the toilet and 11 years later we still don't know if it has turned the corner.

So who knows what will happen. Thankfully, GP is paranoid enough to never think he has it made and will keep trying to achieve as long as he is at TCU. And unless the NCAA or other outside forces interfere, or if we get an AD who has it in for Gary, I expect Gary and the football program to excel for many years. What will really have me concerned is when we win the national championship, will GP decide he has done as much as he can here, and move off to another challenge...or retire.

BABYFACE

I thought Tubbs getting fired had more to do with the craziness his athletes got into. I remember Penny getting into a fight with a tiny cop at Whataburger and the cop spraying pepper spray inside and everyone going nuts trying to get out.

Nope, had more to do with Tubbs not kissing Hymen's butt and a prominent booster's butt. Tubbs marched to his own drum.

Just my humble opinion but this is a thread that is started after the most successful coach in our program's history, that has made TCU a national brand, and that has brought us back from the wastelands of FBS conferences has actually had some bad seasons that we attribute to his coaching or that of the staff that he has chosen.

However, given also my humble opinion of the general football knowledge of the OP, I can't say I'm too surprised that this was posted at this time.

Just my humble opinions.

TAINTed frog

Losses to Baylor and SMU this season raised some eyebrows!

I like it, why don't you and I and start the fire Gary Patterson website...
Dickface-dicknose-norway-150x150.jpg