• The KillerFrogs

Profanity Filters: a Pole

What is your preference related to profanity?

• Keep the filters as they are today

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Replace all curse words with ****

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Replace all curse words with something updated

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Allow profanity

Votes: 33 40.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Can we impeach some of these mods on a power trip too?
Donald Trump GIF by GIPHY News

Maybe add to the poll—

5. No filters but profanity is prohibited and posters may be suspended at moderators discretion.

Then there will be some profanity but it should diminish. If you curse, then you know you might be sent to the quiet room.

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

I would provide an example of my suggestion, but I don’t have a hard copy of a dictionary handy and off the top of my head don’t know what words come after “Peace,” “is,” “a,”scheissing,”or “[ Finebaum ]-eating [ the old ricardo ] master.”

FrogAbroad

The "cute" little replacements for unhousebroken words have, IMHO, seen and outlived their day. I do prefer to avoid that kind of language so I'd prefer the "****" replacement ploy, myself.

But to be fair, the folks on my Ignore list aren't there for cussin', but for consistently being ******** with their posts.

froginmn

Honestly don't mind the replacement words. Could stand updating but I think they accomplish two things:

1) let me know/infer what the person is saying

2) keep that language off of the site so that people who don't want to see it don't have to

If I were a parent of an athlete and came to this site to see a bunch of profanity I'd likely be turned off. Don't need the actual words mixed in. I hear too many people sound idiotic in real life overusing profanity. I often think, do you know how dumb you sound?

Purp

I'm fine with filters when they're funny. They're a funny way to recognize certain pompous talking heads as especially loathsome. Finebaum deserves to be a filter, for example. I like the creativity and back-handed gesture at the butt of the joke.

But many of the filters haven't been funny and a lot of the filters have been plain weird. For example, I always thought replacing ship with boat b/c ship was too close to the intended word was awfully juvenile. I still use boat in every day language now to make fun of how dumb I thought that was.

I don't use cuss words here so the only times I get filtered are for innocuous words that have to be stretched into an innuendo to be considered inappropriate. That or terd (properly spelled, of course). Terd gets filtered here and I use the word at church to talk about my sons without getting looked at weird. Meanwhile, it makes it look like I said the version of that word starting with SH without a mature reason for doing so. If you can't read the word terd without being triggered you should just stay off the internets altogether.