• The KillerFrogs

Pro Football Weekly: Questions linger about fast-rising quarterback

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Pro Football Weekly: Questions linger about fast-rising quarterback

By Nolan Nawrocki

TCU QB Andy Dalton has received an invitation to the NFL draft and there is buzz in the NFL scouting community about him landing in the first round that has only been fueled by items like that from Sports Illustrated ’s Peter King suggesting Dalton might be this year’s version of Drew Brees or Kevin Kolb .

What makes the draft so unique is that it takes only one team to pull the trigger on a player early. There’s a chance Dalton could leapfrog Jake Locker as the third quarterback off the board, with Seattle GM John Schneider privately said to be comparing Dalton to Aaron Rodgers , who fell into the Packers' lap during Schneider’s tenure in Green Bay.

PFW surveyed five teams for opinions about Dalton and the reviews were very mixed, but generally favored a reaction of surprise. ...

cdsfrog

The best part about GMs is how stupid their comments are.

"It's all about arm strength. Pitch and catch"

That was probably Oakland's Gm........ lol.

Jamarcus Russell has the best arm strength I have ever seen, and he is pathetically bad

Portland Frog

Jamarcus Russell has the best arm strength I have ever seen, and he is pathetically bad

Yep. Joe Montana and Tom Brady had huge arms out of college if memory serves. Yes sarcasm.

westtexfrog

Right on the mark, but I think the quote could be attributed to our own bozo, Jerry Jones.

swissfrog

This article does nothing but try to bring Andy down. I dont see Andy stepping on this guy's toes, so maybe it's a racial thing and the writer has something against gingers?

I think those are some valid concerns I would have as a GM. To me, he's a perfect 2nd round pick- enough positives to take a chance on with potential to be a long time starter, but enough questions to not take a chance on in the first round.

cdsfrog

I think those are some valid concerns I would have as a GM. To me, he's a perfect 2nd round pick- enough positives to take a chance on with potential to be a long time starter, but enough questions to not take a chance on in the first round.

yes and no. because with Locker a supposed 1st round pick has just as many if not way more issues.

amfurman10

You think this is bad? This is the same guy that wrote Cam Newton's review and had this to say:

Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.

----------

I will add that I agree with everything he wrote about Cam.

joefrog91

Wow, just wow. I can agree that Andy may be valuable as a backup right now. But these guys make it sound like Andy will never be a starter. The best QBs ever usually were talented leaders. Like someone else said, big arm doesn't equate to good QBs in the NFL. Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Jeff George all had big arms and they were busts.

cdsfrog

Yeah, I think he's a 2nd rounder, too.

Interesting perspective. I can definitely see that happening.

I think there are at least 5 teams that would draft Dalton in the 2nd round: Definitely Seattle if he falls to the 50s. Tennessee, 49ers, Minnesota, Patriots, Indy maybe, and a couple others<br><br>Edit: how on earth I forgot Cinnci is mind boggling. They are ruined at QB at this point.<br>

57Frog

I think that guy's lying like hell . He's trying to throw others off so he can get Andy cheaper or just get him . Time will tell .
Go Andy
Go Frogs

Power of Purple

Ticket Exchange Pass

Here we go: the killerfrogs genius internet posters are going to tell us how wrong the NFL executives/scouts are

anom

I still don't get what people see in Jake Locker? Losing QB in college yet he is touted as one of the best coming out this year? Comparing to dalton who actually had success in college, made good throws when it counted, played on the biggest stage in college football twice. Locker played in what... 1 bowl game? Videos of locker look like a joke, the competition they had here in dallas showed it even more, jake could barely hit targets and came in last out of the 4qbs there

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Lots of covering-of-butts going on here.

Just how many of the quotes given here were generated to sow doubt among teams looking at AD, so that perhaps he is available later than anticipated. Whoever is slinging the bad quotes gets a steal.

To me, it is validation when the bad mouthing begins. Especially when it revolves around things like "arm strength" or "the offense was simple" or "the offense was tailored for him." Yeah. That never happens in the Pros...

BTW: the sCam eval was spot-on, and it had absolutely nothing to do with on field skills. Pro teams generally shy away from head-cases (except J.J.). sCam seems destined for either Dallas or Oakland, if not at first, then certainly last.