• The KillerFrogs

Power 5 approves major change, college athletes set to be paid directly by schools

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Also, do scholarships now become a taxable benefit? If so, that’ll put the SMU and TCUs of the world at a disadvantage relative to public schools
That's a good point. I'm sure someone will challenge it in court sooner or later.

Endless Purple

Was reading another schools board on this topic, and they brought up a point I know little about: foreign students.

They were mentioning about how certain student visas only allowed so many hours of work per week. With athletes getting paid, they would probably blow past the hour limit for practices. How would that work for foreign athletes signing with schools in the US under these new guidelines once they get paid?

I bring this up mostly for tennis since I do not think TCU has many foreign football players like other schools.

Frozen Frog

Also, do scholarships now become a taxable benefit? If so, that’ll put the SMU and TCUs of the world at a disadvantage relative to public schools

I believe scholarships are already taxed. Had to do one a few years ago for a D1 athlete. They got a 1099. Filed the return, but I don’t think they owed anything.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

NCAA athlete-pay settlement could mean 6-figure paychecks for top college players

www.msn.com.ico
CBS News on MSN.com|3 days ago
The finer details still need to be ironed out, but the NCAA's agreement calls for the league and conferences to pay $2.77 billion over 10 years to more than 14,000 former and current college athletes who claim that the now-defunct compensation rules prevented them from earning money from endorsement and sponsorship deals dating back to 2016.

Endless Purple

NCAA athlete-pay settlement could mean 6-figure paychecks for top college players

www.msn.com.ico
CBS News on MSN.com|3 days ago
The finer details still need to be ironed out, but the NCAA's agreement calls for the league and conferences to pay $2.77 billion over 10 years to more than 14,000 former and current college athletes who claim that the now-defunct compensation rules prevented them from earning money from endorsement and sponsorship deals dating back to 2016.

$2.77 billion over 10 years to more than 14,000 former and current college athletes

So they get about $200,000 each in pay.

Seems like a lot since I doubt most of them would have ever made that much in true marketing value.

Frozen Frog

This is going to be a mess for public universities. How much Aggie tax dollars are going to pay for UT players? Meanwhile the general students are going to get screwed by having to pay higher tuition. I get big time college sports can be great for a university, but I think we are about to see some schools leave FBS and maybe division 1.

Also the tax implications are going to hit these athletes more than they think. The smart schools will have financial advisors for these professional athletes that might dabble in some post-secondary school.

Cougar/Frog

I don't care as long as my son gets paid. Traveling around and going to camps is expensive. He is in DFW for the TCU mega camp this week. He has received about 60 camp invites from coast to coast, SEC to Ivy League, but I hope he gets to be a Frog.