• The KillerFrogs

Possum Kingdom Fires

SAT Frog

Guys,
I was wondering if any of you had any updates on the current (that started on 08/30/2011) PK fires? I know 4 months ago, several of you were sending out updates and I was hoping to see if you could help now. I have a close friend working down here in the Eagle Ford and he is from Graham. His family has a lake house on PK and I promised I would check to see which side the fires were on this time. Thanks for any help and for those that have homes in that area my prayers are with you.

anom

My grandma lives off of palo pinto lake but gave us a little info on it when we called last night. From what she said:

"The fire was near the north dam area (i dont know where that means exactly) near the golf course and had burned the entrance into that sub division of homes and most of the neighborhood was on fire but many of the homes did not burn luckily (she thought she had heard from her neighbor, who is a firefighter, that only 3 houses in the area had burned there".

Only update I have heard on the news is a total of 10 houses had been burned and 2 office buildings. No deaths reported as of yet.

On the news last night at 6pm there were 2 houses that the fire burned everything around them, but never caught the house on fire and at the last view was safe. was pretty amazing how fast the fire was moving. My family is from cali and has had many wild fires affecting them and they said they had never seen it move that fast.

SAT Frog

Wow, amazing how fast these can move. Sounds like they are more on the East Side of the Lake, around the Cliffs. Thanks for the info.

Atom

This company has the most up to date info on their facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pondera-Properties-PonderaPK-at-Possum-Kingdom-Lake-TX/112627032159497

And yes, you are correct. Mostly in the Cliffs and Gaines Bend area last I saw.

SAT Frog

Thanks for the sites and info, sounds like the Cliffs has taken a beating. I appreciate the help and sites and have forwarded on to my buddy. Hope the winds die down and they can get a handle on it.

dannyfrog

All the houses that my dad and I wired were in the Cliffs and Gaines Bend area with a few at Hell's Gate. Sad to say they are gone.

Also, glad we sold our place at Hog's Bend, went to look at it a couple of weeks ago and it was destroyed along with every home in the slough.

MoneyFrog

sadly we lost our place in Bob White Bluffs (part of the Cliffs).

the pondera website is the best place to get information.

fires still raging out there. confirmed 50 or so houses gone...probably more to come.

unreal.

SAT Frog

sadly we lost our place in Bob White Bluffs (part of the Cliffs).

the pondera website is the best place to get information.

fires still raging out there. confirmed 50 or so houses gone...probably more to come.

unreal.

Sorry to hear about your loss, sounds like it is getting really bad, again. Talked with several people that lost houses during the first fires. Sadly a lot were on the West side, and several without insurance.

Hopefully the Gulf will open up like they are predicting and bring the much needed rain to all of Texas. That is only after the game on Friday.

Westsider

The winds picked back up this afternoon and the fire at PK turned around a little bit and got a few more houses on the perimeter of the Cliffs. Fire is only 25% contained. Like the April fires, this is a "scorched earth" fire and is so hot it burns everything beneath the ground, so you don't get any new growth later on. Man, between the two fires, PK will never be the same.............

frogbyproxy

I feel so sorry for the residence who lost homes, live stock, pets and hoping the aircraft will get here. They have two 10,000 gallon aircraft coming in, if they are not here already. Did the guy asking for help with his horses get them out yesterday? All I could think was get them in the lake but he would have needeed people helping keeping them in the water.

Prayers to the fire fighters also! I fought fires for years and it is a adrenaline rush the first hour or two but after that with this heat is nothing but heart driving them. I imagine they are taking volunteers if you are a volunteer fire fighter. The biggest fire I fought like they are fighting was 17 miles long and a mile and a half wide. Nothing compared to this fire.

frogbyproxy

Any idea which direction? We have a place 3 miles west of Paradise. It's so rough that if the fire gets to it there's no way they can put it out.

Report is it's heading north. Here is the location given: The fire is located near County Road 3547 and County Road 3554, directly west of Cottondale. The fire is said to have heavy fuel, have burned through several acres and is reported to have jumped a ravine.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Where is that DC-10 staging out of? Sheppard and/or NAS FW Carswell both have bags of room but maybe not enough access for support equipment & transiting personnel as well as the retardent.

Latest posts